Why the hatred?

Sorry. Never saw a pink SE.
They released them @ least twice in Japan, the first (2014?) had a baby pink back and back of neck and flat top. The one I really longed for (2017?) had a natural back and neck and carved style top, but I didn’t see any used.

First of all, let it be said that I've only ever owned PRS SE Custom 24 guitars. Other then these, I've had an Ibanez RGT, Jackson Soloist, Mexican Fender Stratocaster and Gibson Les Paul Studio. The Ibanez was just worse! The Jackson was awesome and with MUCH better pickups than the PRS but a bit too 'Metal' for someone of my age. The Fender was extremely comfortable and a significantly better layout of the controls than PRS but the PRS is better built and better playability. The Gibson had a unique voice of its own, loads more character and I'd love another one but the build quality wasn't as good and neither was the playability.

Overall the PRS just really suits me. It plays well, it looks great, the build quality is superb and although I have to change the pickups, I ended up doing that on the other guitars anyway. These days I only use two electrics. Both are PRS SE Custom 24 models; one with a Floyd and one with a standard trem. I love them and I'll never change them.

The only thing I’ve ever hated is the rotary knob.

Sometimes the knob/switch layout doesn’t work for me, too.

I get the sterility thing as it relates to older models. My first PRS was a custom 22 with dragons over 20 years ago. I hated those pickups. I had a CU24 with the HFS or whatever and hated those too.

The more recent pickups are much better, IMO. They’ve come a long way but unfortunately some people wrote them off years ago and likely haven’t kept up with the progress.

You are right, but the sad thing is PRS has the vision and innovation we aren’t seeing from G & F anymore and the quality!!! Including a Korean made SE line as opposed to China or Indonesia. All he needs to do now is give the unwashed masses some of the cool colors and neck choices! I say once a year release a cool color in the SE line for everyone (not limited run) and rotate each year!

I kinda feel like the “lack of vision and innovation” is linked to the fact that those other companies didn’t NEED to change their vision or innovate. Or at least they felt that they didn’t. If a company has been around since the 50s and has done relatively well since then, especially considering that current guitar heroes are buying their old stuff at alarming prices, they may see innovation as a major gamble... hence the current “going back to basics” approach. I’ve always found it interesting that the typical LP or Strat player begs the company to make em how they used to while the PRS players get giddy about what new creation is on the horizon (personally I’m waiting for that T-style...).

If Fender came out with a 4 pickup Strat tomorrow, would the response be positive? Probably not because the thing wouldn’t be a Strat. Gibson tried making LP lites and that wasn’t the bestest idea, lol. I think Gibson and Fender probably need to stay in their lanes and let the other companies who were built on innovation continue to innovate.

I thought the SEs were made in Indonesia nowadays? I guess it’s a no never mind to me since I can’t find a SE neck that I like anyways.

:(

I kinda feel like the “lack of vision and innovation” is linked to the fact that those other companies didn’t NEED to change their vision or innovate. Or at least they felt that they didn’t. If a company has been around since the 50s and has done relatively well since then, especially considering that current guitar heroes are buying their old stuff at alarming prices, they may see innovation as a major gamble... hence the current “going back to basics” approach. I’ve always found it interesting that the typical LP or Strat player begs the company to make em how they used to while the PRS players get giddy about what new creation is on the horizon (personally I’m waiting for that T-style...).

If Fender came out with a 4 pickup Strat tomorrow, would the response be positive? Probably not because the thing wouldn’t be a Strat. Gibson tried making LP lites and that wasn’t the bestest idea, lol. I think Gibson and Fender probably need to stay in their lanes and let the other companies who were built on innovation continue to innovate.

I thought the SEs were made in Indonesia nowadays? I guess it’s a no never mind to me since I can’t find a SE neck that I like anyways.

:(
I don’t promise to be correct, I “thought” they were Korean made. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

There are plenty of things to despise in the world.
Ridiculous to hate guitars.
imo almost any guitar is better than NO guitar...

Great post! Hope we don't get jaded enough to forget this!

Or like shopping in the Men’s dept. at Kohl’s: Grey, brown, blue, black...

Fortunately, I seriously doubt that PRSh walks around in a 3-piece business suit, although he is CEO. How else could Paul stay on top with his marketshare currently? I'm a mere chief cook & bottle washer in my home.

...I thought the SEs were made in Indonesia nowadays?

Some are made in Korea, some are made in Indonesia. I have a couple of each, no difference in quality. Although, arguably the best, or at least the most unique SE, is the Paul's, which is Indonesian. :)

Although, arguably the best, or at least the most unique SE, is the Paul's, which is Indonesian. :)
Overheard at the factory: “It’s the boss’ guitar. We better get it right!”

Last edited:
Back