Why the hatred?

I don't run into too much hate for the brand in the real world. Mostly just non-exposure ignorance and inexperience in physically playing one. I see players that seem to like how they look and play once they play one. Maybe on the forums it's hate but the real world is different I hope. Not just gums flappin' bs w no faces attached.

Some of the "hatred" I've seen include they're the Nickleback of guitars, and some people just can't stand PRSH, I've even seen one person say that Ibanez are far and away better, and how one guy couldn't wait to play his first PRS and the frets were sticking out like razors. All of it seems a little made up to me...

I don't think I hate any particular brand, maybe some individual models though. I'm not a Fender guy at all, but I've seen some I wouldn't mind owning.

I don’t get many “furniture/dentist guitar” comments directed my way any more, but in the early days (90s) I did. I wasted a lot of time explaining and justifying to people who just felt like being morons to amuse themselves.

At some point in the 90s I started saying, “Hey, this is what I play. Want to compare session fee and broadcast royalty checks?”

I realize that response was kind of silly, but it did put a lid on the snarky comments. And I was doing a hell of a lot of national ad sessions with my PRSes, so I wasn’t BSing.

I’ll also add that I never got that kind of comment from the pro session players I knew. Just the wannabes.

Last edited:
Personally, I really enjoy the tones I get from my PRS guitars. However, tone aside, the biggest selling point for PRS to me is how comfortable they play. People can hate all they want, but I think PRS are among the easiest guitars to play. Haters are going to attack looks, tone, pickups and a lot of intangibles, however, I think the greatest contribution to tone are the fingers. I believe the ease to play of PRS guitars are conducive to better and cleaner techniques and thus better tone. Hatred that targets PRS prices is just silly. It's analogous to hating on Stradivari violin because only museums can afford them.

I don't know. I think there is some distrust. For decades I didn't know what to make of PRS. Kind of an upstart brand (for those of us who remember when it started), unusual shape (which really should be a plus, but tribalism), price. I looked at them as a guitar that was high quality and made exactly the way that I would think you SHOULD make a guitar, but never found them comfortable. Meanwhile I was playing Ibanez exclusively. Not a super straightforward switch.

I got my first PRS against my better judgement in a trade, and spending some time with it is what really turned me on to the brand.

As for the easy entry point, I was already "beyond" what I presumed the SE guitars were when they came out, so I never gave one a fair shot. I have since owned and gigged one and it was a lot of guitar, not even counting the quite low price.

I do see some animosity toward the brand, but I think a lot of the hesitance is just honest ignorance and fear. Plus it's not for everybody, just as G or F are not for everybody.

I currently own 8 different brands of guitars, but I am more open and affluent than many. If I had to choose just one really good one, I probably wouldn't have a PRS because I am also a Floyd guy. And a seven-string guy. And a tele guy.

Man, I feel like I could type on this topic for a long time. Rather than do that, I'll just sum it up as "People are dumb." I don't take the time to read the vitriol on websites, etc. It's just a waste of my time, and I'm already wasting too much of my time doing stupid stuff!

Personally, I really enjoy the tones I get from my PRS guitars. However, tone aside, the biggest selling point for PRS to me is how comfortable they play. People can hate all they want, but I think PRS are among the easiest guitars to play. Haters are going to attack looks, tone, pickups and a lot of intangibles, however, I think the greatest contribution to tone are the fingers. I believe the ease to play of PRS guitars are conducive to better and cleaner techniques and thus better tone. Hatred that targets PRS prices is just silly. It's analogous to hating on Stradivari violin because only museums can afford them.
My only complaint about PRS is you only get really vibrant awesome colors if you can afford custom. Violet, Bonnie Pink, I would have bought the Zach in Matteo Blue, but was sold out before I knew about it!

Oh, and solid pink or wood grain? I’m less of a fan of solid, my husband on the other hand loves a classic!

Back