Why the hatred?

Pretty and unique, burst, maple neck, hum single hum!

Heidi, it’s time for you to give a Guitar Player’s Wives/Significant Others Master Class.

I’d sign my wife up in a heartbeat, but every time I talk guitar, she says, “I’m about as interested in your gear as you are in my lipstick.”

Oh well. :(

She’s actually a makeup artist, so she knows a lot about that stuff.

This is not going to go over well here but I think a lot of the "hate " is more about Prs owners than the guitars. Many folks think they're a "dentist guitar " and for "cork-sniffers."

Yup. There will always be comparisons to those 50s and 60s Golden era guitars... it’s both a blessing and a curse. How many times do we describe a PRS by how stratty or LP-ish it is? I get that it’s a sound, a tone, that we are relating the PRS to, but doing so does pit the PRS up against the Strat and the LP... and to the Strat player or the LP player, that comparison usually ends up in PRS hate territory. They state the obvious: that the PRS is not a Strat and it’s not a LP. Well duh. Also, it’s a gamble to try to create a better upgraded clone of the Strat and the LP. I remember that the SS created lots of initial hate and discontent, lol, just like the 594 did. Some of those initial haters ended up selling their strats and LPs though.

I am one of those people who finally came to grips with the fact that my awesome PRS guitars will never sound exactly like a Strat or a LP. The PRSi could get close but that’s all. So I finally bought a Strat and a LP to go with my PRS. But it took a long time for me to come to that conclusion. Up until then, I had been trying to convince myself that ‘close’ was enough and it wasn’t. Now that I have Gibson’s and Fenders, I can fully appreciate the uniqueness of my PRS guitars, but prior to adding those two, I was growing frustrated with the PRS tone. It was never ‘hate’ but the frustration was very real despite the fact that I loved the PRS quality and body shape.

Now my Fenders, Gibson’s, and PRSi all play nicely together in the sandbox.
Yes, my husband doesn’t want one guitar to do it all. He has an MIM strat and tele, an LP studio, a super strat, a squire strat with a synth pu, a Dot...he enjoys each guitar for it’s uniqueness. He has a Schecter that he loves split, so a fun guitar for when he only wants to take one. I am excited to see our new PRS will fit in and how much he ends up playing it! Anyone wanna place a bet on how long the stock pu’s last

I like this post, but in truth, the Silver Sky does sound like a ‘64 Strat. Just sayin’.

I agree about the SS (and the 594) but it caused some major hate in the Strat crowd when it first came out. I recall hearing ‘it’s a Strat with a funky headstock’. Lol. Then they played it.

It’s great.

But.... it doesn’t have a maple board.

Just sayin.

I like this post, but in truth, the Silver Sky does sound like a ‘64 Strat. Just sayin’.

But I should also add that the 64/65 Strat wasn’t my favorite... I like late 50s much better. I played both and the maple one just wins in my book. Which is why I need maple on maple.

:)

Yes, my husband doesn’t want one guitar to do it all. He has an MIM strat and tele, an LP studio, a super strat, a squire strat with a synth pu, a Dot...he enjoys each guitar for it’s uniqueness. He has a Schecter that he loves split, so a fun guitar for when he only wants to take one. I am excited to see our new PRS will fit in and how much he ends up playing it! Anyone wanna place a bet on how long the stock pu’s last

I will be interested in hearing how the PRS fits in with his rotation. Please let us know how it turns out.

I play my Custom 24 when I’m going for a non-specific but good strong tone. I use it as a general all purpose type of guitar. Same for my Rosewood necked McCartys.

I reach for the 82 Strat for Lenny or Hendrix and I reach for the 72 LP or 67 Crestwood for blues.

Heidi, it’s time for you to give a Guitar Player’s Wives/Significant Others Master Class.

I’d sign my wife up in a heartbeat, but every time I talk guitar, she says, “I’m about as interested in your gear as you are in my lipstick.”

Oh well. :(

She’s actually a makeup artist, so she knows a lot about that stuff.
I adore making him happy, and learning about guitars and pickups is interesting, and it gives us hours together listening, talking, buying, him playing and singing! I check out when he talks pedals!!! I wish I could post a pic for you!

I'm not at all interested in getting the tones of classic guitars. I just like variety in the guitars I play. Mostly I get the same tone from all of them give or take. My teles are the exception. They can actually sound like teles. Well except for the double neck one.
For Matt since he has the luxury of several guitars, he wants a sparkly strat, a slight tele twang, a rich warm Les Paul. If he could have 1 guitar I think the goal might be quite different. It will be interesting how he feels about the PRS and if he changes pu’s what sound he is going for with it. He’s not going to just expect hollow body, the dots for that. I am thinking just another guitar that works well all around!

For Matt since he has the luxury of several guitars, he wants a sparkly strat, a slight tele twang, a rich warm Les Paul. If he could have 1 guitar I think the goal might be quite different. It will be interesting how he feels about the PRS and if he changes pu’s what sound he is going for with it. He’s not going to just expect hollow body, the dots for that. I am thinking just another guitar that works well all around!
Plz don’t correct me, I KNOW it’s semi-hollow

Hate towards G maybe because of the consistency of the Quality Control and the attempts to bring their models into the 21st Century - not all of them bad at all but I do feel that a lot of PRS hate is more directed at the buyers and owners of these instruments even Paul himself. I know there is still some directed at the instruments themselves but there is still a lot of hate that is more personal attacks on people.

The whole Doctor/Lawyer thing for a start is an attack on the people who buy guitars - that we are not 'musicians' wanting the 'best' tool for the job but someone who buys these as wall art. The amount of comments that also attack Paul and blame him as a reason not to buy is a personal attack. If all you ever hear of PRS guitars is those demo's that run through the same notes in every Pick-up combination, I can understand why they lack soul because the person playing isn't injecting any - its a sterile thing with no emotion - just an exercise to show the difference in tone that switching between the PU's bring - but in the hands of someone creating 'music', these guitars are amazing, dynamic and allow the musician to inject their soul and emotion into the music they are playing. That doesn't mean that they have no soul, no character of their own, but that they also reflect the soul and passion of the musician to shine through.

I know this is nothing new to those here but I still feel it had to be said. I can tolerate most things but 'idiocy' and 'ignorance' are traits that really test my tolerance level. I can understand why quite a few of them may not have had the opportunity to actually try a 'core' PRS and even the S2 range maybe out of reach too. I get that these are out of many peoples financial reach which is where the SE range though could be more accessible - especially the Standard 24 but you also can't judge 'PRS' on those guitars as they are not built by PRS. No disrespect at all to the SE range but they are made for PRS not made by PRS. I see the same people that make a lot of these 'negative' comments are Haley Benton, Squire and Epiphone (or other guitars under $500/£500) players so aren't likely to have had any experience with PRS at even SE level. I see every week in youtube live chats/comments by people that have tried an SE and love it more than they expected because they believed the BS but unfortunately, I also see the same 'hate'. I am not American so have no 'loyalty' or a sense of national pride by buying PRS. In the UK, these are 'imports' to me too but I still can't understand why US based people are so quick to attack and hate PRS instead of having a sense of pride that Paul has assembled an amazing team of workers that can consistently make such high quality instruments that are renown the world over. Where is the sense of pride that PRS guitars has built up such a great reputation?

As I said, its nothing that people here don't already know...
So well said! That is really why I pushed Matt to add a PRS to our collection, I am impressed with Paul in interviews and was wowed by the factory tour. If we sold every guitar we owned it MIGHT get us a Core guitar or low end of wood library. But, an SE allows us to own a little piece of it, and I am totally proud of someone making such great quality in this country and treating workers so well!

This is not going to go over well here but I think a lot of the "hate " is more about Prs owners than the guitars. Many folks think they're a "dentist guitar " and for "cork-sniffers."
Which is frankly one of the most absurd and pathetic arguments for not liking something, anything really.
Let’s just, for the sake of argument, assume that Mr Reed Smith’s original intention was to make guitars for dentists/Doctors/lawyers/(insert any occupation that might be a cause for some derision), and that his pursuing Santana et al was just a ploy to lure these, easily fooled, high earners. Let’s just accept that for a moment. Even if that were the case, that Mr Reed Smith’s goal all along was to build a company based around guitars for non-professional guitarists, particularly those with the means for discretionary spend. Why on earth would anyone take the position of hating the instrument and those that can afford them? Why would people think it a bad thing that others were pursuing joy, for whatever reason, in ways that could cause no possible harm to others.
There nothing wrong with non liking PRS, or any other guitar brand. But senseless derision is just f8kcing bull sh1t
And the whole anti-dentite thing. OfFS! The fact that I hate going to the dentist says FAR more about the state of my limbic system than it does about the profession or any particular practitioner. I’d be willing to bet that I’m in no way unique in that regard.
The whole argument just reeks, to me, of misguided senses of entitlement

Last edited:
Which is frankly one of the most absurd and pathetic arguments for not liking something, anything really.
Let’s just, for the sake of argument, assume that Mr Reed Smith’s original intention was to make guitars for dentists/Doctors/lawyers/(insert any occupation that might be a cause for some derision), and that his pursuing Santana et al was just a ploy to lure these, easily fooled, high earners. Let’s just accept that for a moment. Even if that were the case, that Mr Reed Smith’s goal all along was to build a company based around guitars for non-professional guitarists, particularly those with the means for discretionary spend. Why on earth would anyone take the position of hating the instrument and those that can afford them? Why would people think it a bad thing that others were pursuing joy, for whatever reason, in ways that could cause no possible harm to others.
There nothing wrong with non liking PRS, or any other guitar brand. But senseless derision is just f8kcing bull sh1t
It’s rather silly too. I get being maybe jealous of someone more fortunate than yourself, but a hatred of an object he can buy you can’t? I want a $7000 piccolo, can’t have it. I don’t hate the maker or people fortunate enough to own one!

Hey, I didn't say it made sense. I HATE windbag, cork-sniffers who wreak of elitism but I love Prs guitars. Nonetheless, that's the perception out there among many guitarists...that they aren't for REAL guitarists. Humans seem to create clans, or cliques if you prefer, in everything...it even happens within this very forum of PRS lovers.

Hey, I didn't say it made sense. I HATE windbag, cork-sniffers who wreak of elitism but I love Prs guitars. Nonetheless, that's the perception out there among many guitarists...that they aren't for REAL guitarists. Humans seem to create clans, or cliques if you prefer, in everything...it even happens within this very forum of PRS lovers.
I would argue that those who pontificate on who is a “real guitarist” are elitist wind bags

Back