Why not many PRS in rig rundowns?

Clashcityrocker

Curve Denier
I like to watch rig rundowns and gear reviews on youtube in my spare time. One thing I’ve noticed is there isn’t a lot of PRS guitars in these rundowns. Here’s my 2 cents as to why this is. Most bands seem to be concerned about how they look so they can fit in with their group of friends and followers. Let’s face it, a guitar is something you wear on stage like clothing. If your guitar doesn’t fit into that image it doesn’t matter how it plays or sounds they aren’t going to play it on stage. Usually you will see a Strat or Les Paul being whipped out like they are something so unique. I’ve owned Les Pauls and I have a parts Strat so I like them but I would like to play something that’s been invented after 1954. Next you get a Gibson SG, the guitar that Les Paul didn’t like. They always felt funny and a little flimsy to me. Like if you looked at it the wrong way the headstock and neck joint would break. Oh yeah the Tele. I like Teles. I’ve built a few myself out of parts. They are like the model T of guitars, no body contour and a bridge pickup that rules the high frequencies. But come on guys we’re in 2017. PRS is the Apple computers of guitars. Did you have a bad experience with one? Did you look in the mirror and that PRS looked better than you? One thing that stood out to me was a rig rundown with an all girls band that I haven’t heard of but then again I don’t listen to much new music any more. So the guitar player is playing a fender mustang and she says you know it’s hard to get a round sound out of this mustang. Well why play it then? Come on it’s so retro and cool and it fit’s my image she must have thought.

Gibson and Fender are pretty ubiquitous. And pretty, in their own way. I'd say just give it time? PRSi are relative newcomers to the industry.

In time and with continued exposure from people like Tremonti and Holcomb, younger cats will start to buy in and the culture of the stage will change. It'll happen.

Just my initial thoughts.

Yeah, PRS is a relative new kid on the block. There are a few factors that might be in play beyond that:

If you are a kid ("young struggling guitar player") picking out your first guitar, you will want one just like your heroes. Since my heroes didn't play PRS (because they couldn't, didn't exist in the early 70s, which was my influence), I would have been drawn to F&G products. And if I was now a guitar hero (I'm not), my fans would see me playing F&G and want those models too. Unless I happened to find out about PRS and give them a try. But most guitar heroes are not going to stray brand-wise - they will fear it impacts their image and/or they are quite happy with their current lucrative endosements.

Core PRS have a higher initial cost than what looks like the equivalent F&G. So someone with $x will probably get an "American Standard Strat" first.

SE PRS, while better than F&Gs at twice their price, are a relatively new product, and haven't had a chance to sink in as a viable first guitar for 16 year old wanna-be-rock-gods.

There are other factors, I'm sure, but just those are enough.

Give it time, eventually we should see more. But ya know, I kinda like being the oddball with no F&G axes when I gig.

Its the price, the price scares people away from even trying them. They have affordable options now but for the longest time they were associated with being more money than most people could afford. A core PRS is more than most people make in a month. Most people generally stick with the guitars they came up playing on and most young musicians are not buying guitars that cost that much. I hang out with quite a large group of musicians in the bay area and PRS are generally scoffed at as "rich guy guitars", most of these guys are shocked that im playing them now.

Premier guitar generally shows PRS a lot of love. It just depends on the Rig Rundown artists they interview. Some of what you say might be true with some newer bands. Others are set in their old ways. It may change over time, maybe not. Just depends on the artist interviewed.

Fender and Gibson lay down a lot of markers by giving guitars to young bands. They can do it more aggressively because they make more guitars.

Older and more established artists already played what they play...and they're often paid to endorse the brands. The endorsement contracts stipulate what they can appear on stage with.

Vintage-looking guitars are fashionable.

Fenders and Gibsons sound different from PRSes, and some people want those sounds.

There are a few reasons for ya. There are undoubtedly many other reasons, because every individual artist is different.

I think I saw a Mark Tremonti and Zach Myers rig run down, but they do have their own signature models.

Yep, it's all part of the show. I liked it when Rush had laundry equipment or chicken ovens on stage.
fake-speaker-stacks.jpeg

Since these rig rundowns are done with bands on tour, my theory is that they don't take out what they can't afford to replace from a local Guitar Center the next day if their stuff got stolen.

Yep, it's all part of the show. I liked it when Rush had laundry equipment or chicken ovens on stage.
fake-speaker-stacks.jpeg

Kiss has told the story many times that they had to give very specific instructions to the lighting guys early in their career - don't shine spotlights on the cabs because they're empty. Showmanship!

Back