Why not many PRS in rig rundowns?

Every day in this country we sell thousands of big Macs, yet only so many New York strips and rib eyes get sold, which would you rather have?

Depends. Honestly - sometimes I want a good steak. Other times, I just want that cheap hamburger with the fried onions. What I've liked from McD's lately is the Mac Junior. I pretend it's healthier than a Big Mac.

I used to work with a guy in Virginia who ran marathons. He said he could never figure out why he craved a Big Mac after a marathon - he said it was almost a violent craving - but any other time, he almost felt sick at the idea of eating one.

I when I first started playing I played a Strat... because my Dad played a Strat.

When my kid starts playing he'll probably play a PRS... because I play a PRS.

Some things take time.
Both my boys do too. They have other guitars but they gig and record their PRSi. In fact, I bought one back from my youngest just to keep it in the family.

John Bohlinger from Premier Guitar is an avid PRS player and a member here. And I'm pretty sure they have a full rig rundown on him, too.

Filet mignon. Let's not screw around.
Overrated & bland, I'll take Ribeye or good Korean short ribs over it any day of the week.
.......but Jim's Lobster idea is on hit!!! .........and I'll take that over filet-o-fish too.

PS-No Big Macs ever pass my lips, I'll go to Popeyes instead....................and I don't play Strats or LPs either.

Guys. I have some news for you. You may need to sit down. This may be hard to hear, but you need to know:

Not everyone likes PRS guitars. Some people, most in fact, choose to play other brands.

True - but also true of every brand.

True - but also true of every brand.

Granted. However, the PRS slice of the pie is still much, much smaller than some of the other guys.

Salad is the food that my food eats.

Ron Swanson agrees.

image.png

I think in the case of a touring rig some musicians will choose to leave the best silver wear at home. Much like beef jerky would be fine for John Wayne in the saddle but when he dismounts it is a châteaubriand every time.

I think in the case of a touring rig some musicians will choose to leave the best silver wear at home. Much like beef jerky would be fine for John Wayne in the saddle but when he dismounts it is a châteaubriand every time.

While probably true, I don't think that's the case within the context of this thread... a PRS artist that want's to leave their best silverware at home would probably bring some SEs or S2. I don't think these guys are leaving their PRS at home and choosing to bring along a boat full of vintage Les Pauls and Stratocasters because they want to eat beef jerky.

And on that note, I think this is where changing up the looks on your cheaper brands can backfire. With Fender (for example), no one in the crowd or watching TV will know whether someone is playing a MIM or a Masterbuilt. All the kid who sees his hero on TV knows is that he's playing a Fender, and he can then run down to the store and buy what he thinks is the exact same guitar that his hero plays at a fraction of the price. And... if he sticks around and plays long enough maybe he'll choose to upgrade some day.

Compare that to ESP vs LTD. When I was younger I really wanted an ESP... but never considered an LTD because I knew it wasn't the same guitar that Hetfield was playing.

Makes me wonder how many kids walked into the store, saw SE on the headstock and walked away? I know I would've. I think that PRS changing up the SE headstock to include his signature was a smart move.

For many years, the Stigma on PRS instruments was cost, and apparently only considered a lawyers or doctors guitar. I tend to reinforce that. I used to work for the largest law firm in Dallas, Texas. The laws had a band. Not a Fender or Gibson in the bunch, all high dollar core and custom PRS instruments. It was kind of an in your face show of excess. Over the years, it seems that stigma has diminished due to the very wonderful guitars that they really are. I dont' hear much of the Doctor or Lawyer guitar thing much anymore as the instruments have more than proven their desirablity and more so their performance.

How is it possible to compare the nec plus ultra of guitars with Apple?
PRS has come up with many innovations where other guitar makers basically reissue old favorites. I remember not really liking any guitar necks until I got the wide/fat which was about perfect. Still if you like the thin necks there is that option too. A tremelo that stays in tune and a wrap around bridge which doesn't need an adjustment. Like Apple they were copied, now everyone has flame tops so now you can get a sub $500 guitar that has a top that looks about as good as a PRS. I don't buy Apple products, for me an Android phone is fine but I recognize the innovation.

With the SE and S2 lines, there is now some affordable PRS, that allows us to see more on stage.
The dealers restriction is, I believe, one of the factors causing the fact that PRS is not as widely distributed as it deserves. For example, here, in Europe, even in Geneva, you do not stumble over a PRS in any music shop, you have to search which shop is authorized to sell them. Perhaps the fact that the brand is "only"' around 30 years old is another factor.
Just 3 days ago, I met a bass player who did not even know what PRS was, he knew all about F and G and I but nothing about PRS. So I had him nailed to a barn door for educational purpose (wrote an explanation about why he deserved that treatment on the door, next to him).

Ah! So the whole tonewood thing is trumped by all the reasons stated above and these highly successful and wealthy musicians choose fashion and economics over...:confused::(;):)

Hmmm!

Just 3 days ago, I met a bass player who did not even know what PRS was, he knew all about F and G and I but nothing about PRS.

No one in my band knows who or what PRS is. I play bass in this band and this is an actual conversation that happened a couple months ago when I brought my SC245 for one of the guitarists to try;

"What kind of guitar is that?"

"A PRS."

"What's a PRS?"

"A Paul Reed Smith."

"Who's Paul Reed Smith?"

"He makes guitars."

"Are those birds?"

These guys are early-to-mid 20s and PRS isn't even even on their radar. One of the guys loved it, but probably couldn't remember the name on the headstock if I asked him. He wants a semi-hollow, and to him that means a 335. He's not anti-PRS, he just doesn't know anything about guitars. The other wasn't interested in even trying it, although if my SC245 were a Les Paul he would've been drooling all over it.

Back