Who's In Charge Here?

László

Too Many Notes
My entire adult life has been predicated to some degree on the idea that life is what one makes it. At least the big decisions have always been made that way.

But sometimes I forget I have this power, and I feel fustrated about this or that, to the point of feeling trapped. Here's an example: The last few winters have been horrible in Michigan, and this year's Spring has been the worst I can remember. Today as I was running an errand for my wife and raging to myself over the weather, it suddenly hit me that - wait a second - while I can't control the weather, I can certainly control where I live. That is a choice. I'm not stuck here. As soon as I started thinking about that, I calmed down a little. I started to think about finding another place to live.

Yes, it would be inconvenient to leave, but I can do my work anywhere.

Then I somehow realized that I'd be happier being purposeful in all aspects of life, and taking even greater control of things. Tonight was going to be kind of boring because we had no plans, and my wife was tired and had some cakes to bake for a family event tomorrow. So I decided, well, just go into the studio and write some music, no clients, no purchase order. It was fun! It gave the evening some meaning. I felt I'd moved my life just a tiny bit in a direction I want it to go.

It doesn't have to be a big thing. I did some things this afternoon with the guitar amp that I'd been putting off (swapping out a few tubes).

So my early summer resolution is to return to first principles and think about what I want. Then make it so.

I realize this has nothing to do with guitars or amps except the part about tubes, but I think it's right to talk about these kinds of issues with my friends here.

As you heard at the 30th Anniversary Event, Paul likes to describe guitars as sophisticated drugs. They (and other musical instruments) take away the pain. He says you can't sit on the couch and play guitar and be in a bad mood. He claims guitars are wonder drugs - you feel happy while playing them and there is no hangover. (He didn't mention the GAS pains, though. )

Look at how music moderated your mood. It's a wonderful thing!

As for THE POWER, we all have it, and sometimes we all forget. Life choices and change are within our control.

And I don't think this thread is anywhere near just an indulgence, especially if we get to watch Les build a new studio...

- while I can't control the weather, I can certainly control where I live. .

Does this mean that you are going to move in my direction to a warmer / more sun climate?
I had the pleasure of living in Rochester Hills Mi. for 3 winters (yes I counted them - they never seemed to end) - on the day of the Northridge Ca earthquake (a big one) in January, I remember walking my dog in 20 below zero weather!!!!. I can't say I miss the climate.

So my early summer resolution is to return to first principles and think about what I want. Then make it so.
VERY wise words, and a great reminder, thank you!

We had a very lousy winter here as well, and every year I get much less tolerant of it. (It doesn't help getting to work while it's dark, working in the basement on a microscope in the dark all day, they going home when it's dark at the end of the day). On the bright side, it is super humid and hot now!

I have lived in a number of different states and each has their unique advantages and disadvantages.
The Southwestern desert is really neat and you are allowed to carry a gun but enjoying the great outdoors there requires special considerations that you'd never think of if you've lived in Michigan your whole life.
Louisiana has brutal humidity at times but you can drink in public.
Florida is hot and tropical in nature and bikini sightings are a lot more common. It has a lot of affordable places to live away from the populated areas, lots of boat owners on the coast, lots of beaches, did I mention bikinis?
Find a place which has laws that you like as well as a low cost of living and you can live like a king.

I can tell you that Southern Ca where I live is anything but "low cost", especially the real estate. If you live near the ocean, you can't beat the climate however! Trade off's, trade off's. Water is going to get expensive here soon as well.

Right on!! Since being at my current job for 2 years now it has been wonderful. No stress, weekends off, no babysitting employees and time with my family. I had the power but didn't use it!

Well said Les. Good to know I'm not the only one suffering a life-crisis! I have come to realize that I am fairly miserable in my current work situation, and the only way it will ever change is if I make it change. Wether that is by "taking control" or by finding a new gig remains to be seen.:confused:

Thanks, Les. That really is a great post. Really makes me start thinking about what I am currently doing with my life, vs what I could or should be doing. Very thoughtful.

Louisiana has brutal humidity at times but you can drink in public.

Seems to me that with brutal humidity you more or less HAVE to drink in public in order to stay somewhat sane. ;)

My son lives in LA, and I'm aware that it's expensive, on the other hand, it's worth it because the lifestyle all year round is so very nice. That's a place I'd strongly consider moving to. Then again, it'd probably be just as much fun to simply rent a place there for winter retreats, go back to michigan in spring, summer and fall, and not have to deal with the horrendous LA traffic year 'round.

I'm glad you guys like the topic. I really do believe in taking charge of life, but sometimes one forgets that the power is there to do that!

Last edited:
Seems to me that with brutal humidity you more or less HAVE to drink in public in order to stay somewhat sane. ;)

My son lives in LA, and I'm aware that it's expensive, on the other hand, it's worth it because the lifestyle all year round is so very nice. That's a place I'd strongly consider moving to. Then again, it'd probably be just as much fun to simply rent a place there for winter retreats, go back to michigan in spring, summer and fall, and not have to deal with the horrendous LA traffic year 'round.

I'm glad you guys like the topic. I really do believe in taking charge of life, but sometimes one forgets that the power is there to do that!

I lived in Northern Louisiana while I was there, about as far away from New Orleans as you can get. Seemed to be very affordable when I was there.

Hey wait a second...I thought you were the World's Laziest Guitar Player?

I believe that just wishful thinking, like a fantasy, y'know?
My son lives in LA, and I'm aware that it's expensive, on the other hand, it's worth it because the lifestyle all year round is so very nice.
Back in the 70's I flew into LA (my Navy days), and I looked down before the descent and the air was brown. Some time later, I was on a bike ride (10-speed bikes) of only 35 miles. Afterward, my skin felt like sandpaper. Then I thought: that stuff must be in my lungs. Damn! And the traffic? Not worth it! :rolleyes:

I am definitely a small town boy who doesn't mind driving 35 to 60 miles if I need anything from the "big city", got 3 to pick from. :rock:
I wanna move someplace with fruity drinks and palm frond trees.
I can reach a place like that in 3 hours or so. :)

Try Sydney, or the north coast of nsw. thanks for reminding me yet again how lucky I am.

As a lifelong resident of Michigan I feel your pain.

For many many winters now, my wife and I have considered moving out of the state.

Then spring finally arrives and those discussions are tabled for another year.

Winters in Michigan suk especially as I get older. But they do give you a much greater appreciation for spring.

When/if we retire, we're leaving but until then we'll likely stick out out.

As far as L.A. is concerned, I've never been but you may want to check out what Adam Carolla has to say about living there.

Last edited:
As far as L.A. is concerned, I've never been but you may want to check out what Adam Carolla has to say about living there.

Remember though that for the most part the business I'm in is centered there.

In any case, it wouldn't be year-round.

Try Sydney, or the north coast of nsw. thanks for reminding me yet again how lucky I am.

Very!

Back