Who is your favorite guitarist (and why isnt it you)?

When people ask who my favorite guitar player is my answer always throws them off. "Me". Sure theres Page, Clapton, SRV, Hendrix..etc but they aint me. After almost 50 years of playing, all that time...thousands of hours, all those show, tours, hundreds of songs written...... for it not to be me is out of the question. You see for me the guitar is basically my woman of old and Im a loyal dude. lol.
First, I totally agree with your reasoning, for you. For me - Hmmm, there's some depth there. I have really just started playing at age 62, and I'm 64 now - I mean I'm a pretty rank beginner. That said, if you call me a guitar player, I do like me, though not my guitar playing, at least not yet. I should like me. We should all strive to like ourselves. Now, based on guitar skills, the list pretty long. Favorites? Alex Lifeson, Brian May, SRV, DiMeola, Joe Walsh, Paco DeLucca (I probably spelled that wrong), many more.

First, I totally agree with your reasoning, for you. For me - Hmmm, there's some depth there. I have really just started playing at age 62, and I'm 64 now - I mean I'm a pretty rank beginner. That said, if you call me a guitar player, I do like me, though not my guitar playing, at least not yet. I should like me. We should all strive to like ourselves. Now, based on guitar skills, the list pretty long. Favorites? Alex Lifeson, Brian May, SRV, DiMeola, Joe Walsh, Paco DeLucca (I probably spelled that wrong), many more.
This sentence right here really stood out to me. When I was taking lessons and really learning to utilize the theory I was learning, this is exactly how I felt. I never really wanted to learn solos note for note. I wanted to learn the concepts and techniques used in them. When I was teaching lessons I frequently told my students that we want to learn these concepts and techniques so we can find out who you are going to be as a guitar player. This is one reason that o don't think my playing really sounds like any famous player. I have strived to be my own player from the beginning.

Depends on the music you're drawn to and want to play.

Musicians need to know just enough to express themselves and to make the music they love.

I'd rather be a little ignorant. Retain the magic and mystery and surprises.

Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, John Lennon...magic.

Where does that stuff come from? Not from a classroom that's for sure.

I think Bob's got it right and the shredders have it all wrong.

That stuff isn't even music to me. It sounds like someone typing.

"Yet one place where additional learning does not disentangle the mystery of the subject is music.

As a matter of fact, the argument can be made that the more you study music the less you understand it.

Take two people - one studies contrapuntal music theory, the other cries when they hear a sad song.

Which of the two really understands music better?"

- Bob Dylan

Last edited:
"Yet one place where additional learning does not disentangle the mystery of the subject is music.

As a matter of fact, the argument can be made that the more you study music the less you understand it.

Take two people - one studies contrapuntal music theory, the other cries when they hear a sad song.

Which of the two really understands music better?"

- Bob Dylan
I am not sure I agree with that. Look up Signals Music Studio on YouTube. He states in a couple of his videos that if he didn't know music and fretboard theory he wouldn't be able to write music. He writes music in a similar way to Les. He has some videos where he shows how to use theory to write the music. For those of us that have brains that gravitate towards putting logic in everything this makes sense. I learned in college that I am a super logical thinker. I didn't know that about myself until my first programming class.

Depends on the music you're drawn to and want to play.

Musicians need to know just enough to express themselves and to make the music they love.

I'd rather be a little ignorant. Retain the magic and mystery and surprises.

Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, John Lennon...magic.

Where does that stuff come from? Not from a classroom that's for sure.

I think Bob's got it right and the shredders have it all wrong.

That stuff isn't even music to me. It sounds like someone typing.
I find entertainment in others shredding. For me though, I like to hear more from less best. BB King is always first to mind when I think about that. Oddly, Niel Geraldo does as well, from the ‘80’s Pat Benatar albums. His short, to th point solos said exactly what they needed to say, briefly, and nothing extra. James Honeman Scott from the Pretenders (RIP) also. Short, to the point, lyrical and just a little raw. And then there’s 80’s glam/hair rock. It has absolutely nothing to do with more from less, but man I love it! Same with mid 70’s to 90’s Prog.

Back