Who is your favorite guitarist (and why isnt it you)?

Victor Vector

Born to Rip
When people ask who my favorite guitar player is my answer always throws them off. "Me". Sure theres Page, Clapton, SRV, Hendrix..etc but they aint me. After almost 50 years of playing, all that time...thousands of hours, all those show, tours, hundreds of songs written...... for it not to be me is out of the question. You see for me the guitar is basically my woman of old and Im a loyal dude. lol.

Because the majority of my favorite guitarists have toured the world stage before thousands of people, written many successful songs, some of which received regular AOR airplay, and live with celebrity status.

Mostly because there's professional musician status, and hobbyist modest collector status. The twain shall never meet.

Last edited:
Frank Zappa is my fav guitarist! The reason I am not my favorite is I have not the dexterity, musical training/knowledge, creativity, body or work nor the years of experience he had to put me at #1!! I do love playing my guitars though ;~)) I listen to more of my music these days than I do of anyone elses, so I know I have one happy customer!!!

Frank Zappa is my fav guitarist! The reason I am not my favorite is I have not the dexterity, musical training/knowledge, creativity, body or work nor the years of experience he had to put me at #1!! I do love playing my guitars though ;~)) I listen to more of my music these days than I do of anyone elses, so I know I have one happy customer!!!
I met Dweezil Zappa in 2010. What a humble and incredible guy.
I went to his first music camp and he was amazing. He took after his dad, and it shows.
What a talent!

I met Dweezil Zappa in 2010. What a humble and incredible guy.
I went to his first music camp and he was amazing. He took after his dad, and it shows.
What a talent!
That is awesome! I was able to meet Ahmet in the year 2000 or so when I was in LA visiting some friends! Just a handshake, hello, goodbye type meet in a crowded noisy bar, but cool none the less!! Between the Fractal and PRS common ground, I hope to meet Dweezil at some point ;~)) I sure would love to have one of those PRS Dweezil sig models with the mandolin type body!!!

I don't really have a favorite guitar player. I have great appreciation for many guitar parts played by many guitar players. For me it is all about the energy I feel when listening to the song. This crosses a number of genera's for me as well. I like stuff from across decades as well from the 60's all the way to current day. For me it is about the tone and how the guitar part sets in the mix of the whole song. To me, every song has an energy. I prefer upbeat songs and guitar parts with some space in them. I have never been one to try to cop someone else's tone.

I love overdrive pedals. I play each of them for what they are and see if I can find something in it that I like. It is all about the midrange response in many of these pedals for me. I am now thinking through these things and looking at schematics to learn how I could mod a pedal to change something that I don't like about it.

Jim Matheos. I strive to reach his command of emotion, technique, and composition.

I never downplay myself - and sometimes I need to remember humility - but I recognize my vast limitations and, after 43 years of playing, I still have learning goals.

I hear a certain type of music in my head. I cannot, yet, compose that music. Once I can compose THAT music, I'll become my own favorite guitarist.

In truth, I need to take lessons again....

Jim Matheos. I strive to reach his command of emotion, technique, and composition.

I never downplay myself - and sometimes I need to remember humility - but I recognize my vast limitations and, after 43 years of playing, I still have learning goals.

I hear a certain type of music in my head. I cannot, yet, compose that music. Once I can compose THAT music, I'll become my own favorite guitarist.

In truth, I need to take lessons again....
I am a firm believer that going back for some lessons is a great way to sharpen the axe. You need to find someone good that can have meaningful discussions that make you think. It can break you out of a rut. I came to this mindset when working for someone that was a pretty good golfer. I found out from some discussions with him that every spring he scheduled several lesson appointments. He used the lessons to tune up his swing and aim. That is how he stayed on top of his game. I immediately thought this is a perfect way to stay on your game with guitar playing. There is always something new to learn and incorporate into your playing.

I used to teach lessons at one point. I am at the point where I know what I need to dig into and have the ability to dig into it on my own. You would think that would have me improving every week. Nope! Motivation is a cruel mistress. I get started into things and enjoy connecting the dots but miss the conversation about what I am piecing together to really cement the knowledge. It seems that lessons would be a good thing for me as well.

I am a firm believer that going back for some lessons is a great way to sharpen the axe. You need to find someone good that can have meaningful discussions that make you think. It can break you out of a rut. I came to this mindset when working for someone that was a pretty good golfer. I found out from some discussions with him that every spring he scheduled several lesson appointments. He used the lessons to tune up his swing and aim. That is how he stayed on top of his game. I immediately thought this is a perfect way to stay on your game with guitar playing. There is always something new to learn and incorporate into your playing.

I used to teach lessons at one point. I am at the point where I know what I need to dig into and have the ability to dig into it on my own. You would think that would have me improving every week. Nope! Motivation is a cruel mistress. I get started into things and enjoy connecting the dots but miss the conversation about what I am piecing together to really cement the knowledge. It seems that lessons would be a good thing for me as well.
"Lessons? Lessons? We don't need no stinking lessons!"

Back