Which Guitar to Pick?

treillw

I keep going back and forth on which guitar I want to get and I thought that maybe some guidance from you guys would be helpful.

Things I definitely want:
* Piezo
* More mellow sounding electric pickups - I love heavier music, but I already have a guitar that serves that purpose (I have 25th Anniversary 513 and a Fender American Fat Strat Texas Special). I play in the church worship band where cleans, moderate distortion, and delay pedals typically used. I'm looking for a guitar for this environment. I really like the 57/08 pickups out of those that I have tried.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a P24. I started off wanting a hollowbody II, but I'm not crazy about the 3 way switch wiring - why not make it a 5 way and get two more tones? Two more frets and a trem also moves the P24 ahead on the score board. The thing I don't like about the P24 is that it's not hollow and I'm still holding onto that idea from wanting/playing the HB II.

Things I'm not sure about:

* Semi-hollow vs Solidbody effecting the electric pickups (From what I've read this doesn't effect the piezo)
* Private stock vs Core Model

My option seem to be:
1. Wait and hope that they come out with a P24 SH experience model.
2. Justify spending $$$$ on a Private Stock that fits the bill. I could get everything I wanted with an awesome finish and wood, but it's hard to justify spending $7,000 bare minimum if I'm lucky on a guitar.
3. Get a standard P24 and forget about it being Semi Hollow. I could buy a HB II and a P24 for the price of a Private Stock.

What's the best way to make this decision? Going out an playing the guitars is the obvious help towards finding an answer, but it's hard to find a place that has stuff in stock to help me make a decision. It's hard to find a hollow guitar to test out and compare to the solid, especially one with 57/08s in it.

I know the answer is very subjective, but any advice is welcome!

Last edited:
If the hollow body is what you like, getting a 5-way switch or changing pickups are fairly minor alterations. If a solid body is what you prefer then a p24 will do the job, but I think you might be wrong about it effecting the piezo, I tried a p24 & an HB w/piezo and I heard the difference.(HB sounded more like an acoustic)
As for PS vs core? I can't even ponder that kind of extravagance so you're on your own there, but I would research where the biggest PRS dealers within reasonable driving distance and see if I could get there and get some first hand experience.

Good luck on your choice.

I don't think a semi-hollow is really going to change what you get out of the electric pickups much.
While I am a private stock fan, I wouldn't recommend going private stock until you really know what you want.

I find the hollowbody pretty versatile with the 3 way switch. By the time you combine the 3 electric options with piezo in/out or blended in you have quite a bit of range. I also like the hollowbody sound and the feel of the guitar. I don't miss the 2 frets on it. I got a HB before the P22 or P24 came out and haven't felt they would offer me anything new.

If the hollow body is what you like, getting a 5-way switch or changing pickups are fairly minor alterations.

Thanks for the idea. I didn't know that was a reasonable alteration. Who would do it best?

As for PS vs core? I can't even ponder that kind of extravagance so you're on your own there, but I would research where the biggest PRS dealers within reasonable driving distance and see if I could get there and get some first hand experience.

Any suggestions on a shop near Pottsville, PA? I've been up to Northeast a few times. I'm also headed to Maine on vacation soon and go down to Delaware pretty often.

Thanks!

The 57-08's will be perfect for clean. moderate distortion and delay. Especially in the HBII. I know because I have a HBII Artist Package with rosewood neck and 5708's and it does these things you want extremely well. The sustain and creamyness is blissful.

All said, I believe your second and third options are the best. Get what you need and what you want. Two Core or Artist package guitars will come in below a PS build. That is why I suggest the Artist package and look at the rosewood or maple necks if they fit your liking. You will have two great guitars for sure, or one awesome PS. I don't believe you will go wrong with the 57-08s that is for sure. If you go the PS route look into the PRS #7 pups, 53-10's, and Santana pups. They will do what you want extremely well also. The 53-10s may not be available anymore, even in PS. I probably added to your choices and confusion, but you asked.:)

Thanks for the idea. I didn't know that was a reasonable alteration. Who would do it best?

Any suggestions on a shop near Pottsville, PA? I've been up to Northeast a few times. I'm also headed to Maine on vacation soon and go down to Delaware pretty often.

Thanks!

Can't suggest a repair guy on the east coast (I'm in SF) but I'd go with the best guy in your area, you'll have to do a little research there. There is a dealer section in this forum and a listing on the PRS site, between the two you might be able to find one semi close to you.

Find a good deal on a used HBII and have the pups coil tapped. Wouldn't that work?

I guess you could (or may have to) add two separate switches, one for each pickup coil tap? That would give it even more versatility.

To me (a newb to guitars), the big thing a hollowbody or semi-hollowbody adds is sustain. It's really pleasant.

The P245 comes (occasionally) in a semi-hollow, and should come with 58/15, which, although very dynamic, can be very mellow as well. It sounds like exactly what you want.

Back