Whats on the smoker today?

This baby will be smoking all night, and a good part of tomorrow!
49754490438_1cd0592d28_c.jpg

Holy carp... need more info!

Nothing fancy, just a 10-ish pound brisket, 225 for as long as it takes. Trying a spice rub with a mix of brown and white sugar this time, just for kicks. No idea how it'll turn out, but I did it on a couple racks of ribs a while back and liked it.

There's just something about having meat over a flame that helps me sleep at night.

Nothing fancy, just a 10-ish pound brisket, 225 for as long as it takes. Trying a spice rub with a mix of brown and white sugar this time, just for kicks. No idea how it'll turn out, but I did it on a couple racks of ribs a while back and liked it.

There's just something about having meat over a flame that helps me sleep at night.

I'm in the opposite boat. I'd be awake all damn night worrying that my smoker was doing something wrong without me hovering over it. About 3 hours is as much as I can stand, and then whatever it is goes into the oven to finish. Could be lack of quality hardware...

I'm in the opposite boat. I'd be awake all damn night worrying that my smoker was doing something wrong without me hovering over it. About 3 hours is as much as I can stand, and then whatever it is goes into the oven to finish. Could be lack of quality hardware...

Fortunately the Big Green Egg is very stable when it comes to temperature, especially these low, slow cooks. Basically cut the air flow down to next to nothing, and that puts you just above 200 - lots of practice has taught me not to worry!

Gonna be needing a new smoker soon and wanted to ask for some recommendations. I've been using a Masterbuilt 30" propane one for some years and it's on it's last legs. For most outside cooking duties I use my trusty Weber kettle grill.

My son has a Pit Barrel Cooker and loves it. I'm usually just cooking for me and the wife, with an occasional small family get together, so I don't need anything very big and would like to keep the cost under $400.

I'm leaning towards the PBC Junior at the moment for $250, but would I be better off with the larger one for $350? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks, Jim

Gonna be needing a new smoker soon and wanted to ask for some recommendations. I've been using a Masterbuilt 30" propane one for some years and it's on it's last legs. For most outside cooking duties I use my trusty Weber kettle grill.

My son has a Pit Barrel Cooker and loves it. I'm usually just cooking for me and the wife, with an occasional small family get together, so I don't need anything very big and would like to keep the cost under $400.

I'm leaning towards the PBC Junior at the moment for $250, but would I be better off with the larger one for $350? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks, Jim

I don't know anything about the PBC in particular, but I would recommend getting the largest cooking surface you can. My Big Green Egg cooking surface is about the same size as the regular PBC (just over 18") and it's just the right size for a full length rack of pork ribs, full brisket, med/large turkey. All things I would recommend having the size to accommodate if you want to smoke things.

Fortunately the Big Green Egg is very stable when it comes to temperature, especially these low, slow cooks. Basically cut the air flow down to next to nothing, and that puts you just above 200 - lots of practice has taught me not to worry!

Good point. Bottom line is that I just don't trust my smoker and the two times I've tried brisket were an ordeal. One came out really good and seemed worth doing again. The second attempt was disappointing all around. Wonder if I can wrangle that experience into upgrading, but my wife is really happy with the staple chicken, salmon, and pork chops that are in my repertoire.

Today was a pair of whole chickens for me. My go-to poultry recipe for whole birds is a mixture of a liberal amount of Herbes de Provence, less of garlic, salt and pepper, with just enough olive oil to turn it into a sticky mess. Then stuff it under the skin of the bird along with some slices of butter, and smoke anywhere from 250 to 350. It's not a hard recipe, and I've never had it turn out less than delicious.
49767248401_5d9d54b749_c.jpg

49767575327_fe29f18ac7_c.jpg

49766712833_dac3d5bdbd_c.jpg

Smash burgers on my BGE:

awfpjlh.jpg

This looked good when I saw it on my phone... then I made the mistake of seeing it in all its full size glory on my computer screen. Extremely jealous!!!

Back