Whats on the smoker today?

Aha, sorry!

Very easy here. I take some ground beef (20pct fat) and roll into balls of 4 oz each. Get grill up to around 450-500F.

Squirt yellow mustard on each ball and place mustard-side down on grill, then SMASH the ball into a flat thin disc with a spatula. After flattening, squirt the top side with mustard too.

Cook for 2 mins. Then flip, cover with cheese, and cook for another 2 mins. Done.

They stick pretty easily to the grill, so I place a cast iron pan on the grill surface and cook the burgers on that.

Today was a pair of whole chickens for me. My go-to poultry recipe for whole birds is a mixture of a liberal amount of Herbes de Provence, less of garlic, salt and pepper, with just enough olive oil to turn it into a sticky mess. Then stuff it under the skin of the bird along with some slices of butter, and smoke anywhere from 250 to 350. It's not a hard recipe, and I've never had it turn out less than delicious.
49767248401_5d9d54b749_c.jpg

49767575327_fe29f18ac7_c.jpg

49766712833_dac3d5bdbd_c.jpg

This looked good when I saw it on my phone... then I made the mistake of seeing it in all its full size glory on my computer screen. Extremely jealous!!!
That looks fab! Nice one.

Today was a pair of whole chickens for me. My go-to poultry recipe for whole birds is a mixture of a liberal amount of Herbes de Provence, less of garlic, salt and pepper, with just enough olive oil to turn it into a sticky mess. Then stuff it under the skin of the bird along with some slices of butter, and smoke anywhere from 250 to 350. It's not a hard recipe, and I've never had it turn out less than delicious.
49767248401_5d9d54b749_c.jpg

49767575327_fe29f18ac7_c.jpg

49766712833_dac3d5bdbd_c.jpg

This looked good when I saw it on my phone... then I made the mistake of seeing it in all its full size glory on my computer screen. Extremely jealous!!!
Do you get crispy skin with this method? Looks fabulous.

Somewhat, I don’t pay much attention because I don’t eat the skin. My cholesterol levels disagree with it! But, if you wanted to really get it crispy, one or two brushes with butter on the outside would help too, not too often or you’ll just keep it moistened. Maybe in combination with cranking the heat when your bird is around 150-155F internal, to give it that last 15 degrees worth to really sizzle.

I’m pretty sure jxe is a lady dude!

Not a “lady dude”, I mean a a lady, dude!

Recent photographic evidence would tend to suggest that.

But what do I know, I’m just a chef!

Runs away and hides in a corner!

hey, i’m no lady, the lady photo is my lady, dude.

and just a chef? is that an ‘under siege’ reference?

Another classic. We watched all the "Ocean's" movies (11, 12 & 13) yesterday.

Am currently sitting at the desktop doing busy work with my repair crew's dehumidifier roaring in the background...the supervisor cautioned: "The dehumidifier will warm the room slightly, as well as remove moisture."

I asked him "What relative humidity are you looking to achieve?" His reply was "Dry, very dry."

Made a quick note to self: Time to put my acoustic away in its case until the dehumidifier leaves the apartment. Wondering what relative humidity will actually be reached; currently 44%...

Regards the smoker...made some BBQ chicken thighs a couple days ago, will be munching later tonight...will try to get work done today but the fan from the dehumidifier is relentless...I shoulda asked for the luxury cabin options when I signed on for the rental lease...:oops:

Last edited:
hey, i’m no lady, the lady photo is my lady, dude.

and just a chef? is that an ‘under siege’ reference?

1. Oops!
2. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
3. Yes.

Everyone else move along please, nothing to see here.:oops:

Pork loin roast. Man, this was yummy. Marinated overnight with:
Diced Onion
Minced Garlic
Bottle of Belgian Ale
Caraway Seeds
Honey
Dijon Mustard
Dried Thyme

Out of the marinade, rubbed down with St Elmos seasoning, and then into a roasting pan with the onions and garlic from the marinade.
On the Traeger, at 350, for an hour. Meanwhile, I reduced the liquid from the marinade by half, until it got nice and thick. Poured that over the pork and let it go for another hour.

Plated with some of the onions/garlic over the top with a side of 4 cheese/roasted garlic mashed 'taters. This will be my standard pork recipe going forward!

I forgot to take pics while it was on the Traeger............

usWgv99.jpg

8wT0t5Z.jpg

o1qJVT6.jpg

Back