Whats on the smoker today?

The absolute best thing about having a smoker is you can go buy the cheapest cut of meat and turn it into a meal fit for a king. For the last ten years I’ve hosted a weekly fooz and schmooze every Thursday and smoked pork has consistently been the most popular thing on the menu. We’ve had whole pizzas go untouched because of that smoker :)
Try doing the pizza on the smoker. Takes it to another level!

The absolute best thing about having a smoker is you can go buy the cheapest cut of meat and turn it into a meal fit for a king. For the last ten years I’ve hosted a weekly fooz and schmooze every Thursday and smoked pork has consistently been the most popular thing on the menu. We’ve had whole pizzas go untouched because of that smoker :)

I smoked pork chops with a nice rub on a lark one time and now don't cook them any other way. Also smoked chicken breast has become a staple in our refrigerator for snacking. I got spoiled really fast having that around. I've only had the patience to tackle brisket a couple of times now. One was good, the other one came out just kind of OK. Haven't got the hang of that so far.

Lunch today is a Carnivore pizza bowl. Again, not in the smoker. Ground beef, onions, and garlic sautéed in a pan. Add pizza sauce, two kinds of cheese (Cheddar and Mozzarella), pepperoni in a deep dish cast iron pan in the oven until bubbly and brown on the edges. Put about 1/4th of it in a bowl and you have lunch ready.

I also have to replace a light switch today. My car port light switch is faulty. Will replace it without turning off the juice. Just take one wire off at a time and put it on the new switch without touching any part of the old one. Now worries.

We have 220 volts, you don’t mess around with that, well I don’t! Circuit breaker off before any wiring.

No smoking/BBQ for us, even though last weekend was the warmest day so far.

Soon though!

I smoked pork chops with a nice rub on a lark one time and now don't cook them any other way. Also smoked chicken breast has become a staple in our refrigerator for snacking. I got spoiled really fast having that around. I've only had the patience to tackle brisket a couple of times now. One was good, the other one came out just kind of OK. Haven't got the hang of that so far.

Brisket is probably the trickiest to get perfect, and a lot of getting it just right starts with getting the right piece of meat. Most people do flat cut, and that’s most of what’s available in stores. What you’re looking for is even thickness and width, you want it as rectangular as possible. The other thing you want is a good fat cap that covers one whole side. Ideally it will also have a thinner layer of fat running thru the middle. Cook it with the fatty side up so it will drip over the meat as it melts. Beyond that the whole secret is low and slow with plenty of moisture, don’t let your water pan dry out.

I’ve done every kind of meat I could find but overall pork shoulder is my favorite because it hits all the marks... inexpensive, super tasty, and almost impossible to mess up. Chicken wings are awesome, even better if you finish them on the grill. Smoked chicken breast makes the best sandwich meat there is, and ribs both pork and beef speak for themselves. I have a medium sized propane powered vertical smoker with a water pan and it’s paid for itself a hundred times over with nothing but tasty :)

Brisket is probably the trickiest to get perfect, and a lot of getting it just right starts with getting the right piece of meat. Most people do flat cut, and that’s most of what’s available in stores. What you’re looking for is even thickness and width, you want it as rectangular as possible. The other thing you want is a good fat cap that covers one whole side. Ideally it will also have a thinner layer of fat running thru the middle. Cook it with the fatty side up so it will drip over the meat as it melts. Beyond that the whole secret is low and slow with plenty of moisture, don’t let your water pan dry out.
Thanks. I tried brisket and it didn't work out so well. I'll try your suggestions next time. Got to get to the store and get another pork shoulder and now a brisket. Maybe Saturday. Got to make room in the freezer anyway. It's packed from getting ready for a 2 month quarantine...

My dad is a retired electrician too!

I turn the main breaker off for everything, resetting clocks isn’t that big of a deal, and I have nothing to prove in the manliness department.
I make sure to list everything on a circuit. We've been here for 28 years so I've had the opportunity, and there can often be some weird wiring. I have three different circuits in one bedroom so that became my music/computer room.

I make sure to list everything on a circuit. We've been here for 28 years so I've had the opportunity, and there can often be some weird wiring. I have three different circuits in one bedroom so that became my music/computer room.

We had to have a new entrance installed a couple years ago. I wasn't home, but my dad and son were here. They made a list of what circuits were what. Unfortunately, my son did the writing in his tiny print (shouldn't complain - I used to do the same), and the list went missing for a year or so, and now we're not sure on a couple. I want to take care of that, especially because I'm seriously considering getting a cutover panel for a generator. It would run about six circuits, and I'd have to pick somewhat carefully.

...I want to take care of that, especially because I'm seriously considering getting a cutover panel for a generator. It would run about six circuits, and I'd have to pick somewhat carefully.

I have that on my home here in NC. I have two panels to run the house. One is the "emergency" side and the other one runs everything else. I can throw a breaker arm and only the emergency panel is active and I have a 7500 watt generator I put outside next to the panel with a really big drop cord that powers the panel. I can run the well pump, the frig, freezer, microwave, wall outlets and lights along with the bedroom heaters, on the generator without blowing anything. I use it when the hurricanes or ice storms come through and the power is out for days. I'm the last guy on the line out here in the country and so I will be the last to get power back on. It's saved me more than once.

I have that on my home here in NC. I have two panels to run the house. One is the "emergency" side and the other one runs everything else. I can throw a breaker arm and only the emergency panel is active and I have a 7500 watt generator I put outside next to the panel with a really big drop cord that powers the panel. I can run the well pump, the frig, freezer, microwave, wall outlets and lights along with the bedroom heaters, on the generator without blowing anything. I use it when the hurricanes or ice storms come through and the power is out for days. I'm the last guy on the line out here in the country and so I will be the last to get power back on. It's saved me more than once.
Excellent foresight and planning.

To reinforce @bodia ’s recommendation, tonight’s cook is pizza! Like he said, it takes your pizza to another level!

if you can source quality ingredients, and get the technique down, just like with ribs, you can make a pizza that many restaurants can’t match. I prefer to get pre-made dough when possible, it makes things much easier. Trader Joe’s sells a pretty good one. Good sauce, quality cheese, meat, and fresh veggies will also improve the end result. I like Rao’s brand sauce, and I always get cheese from the swanky cheese counter at the grocery, not just the shredded, bagged stuff, it makes a big difference! Fresh mozzarella is great, just try to get one that’s bagged and vacuum sealed without much water in it, if it’s too wet the extra water will cook out and make a nice puddle on your pizza. Lay out a big piece of parchment paper and spread a small handful of semolina flour on it, and lay the dough down on that to spread it out - makes working much easier and it’s also what gives that nice grainy, crunchy crust on the bottom when cooked. Then apply toppings and trim the parchment right at the edge of the dough.

The cook is part 2 of important things. I always, always use a pizza stone, and shoot for a temp of about 450F. If you’re using a smoker or grill of some kind, the trick is actually to minimize the amount of smoke being generated. The dough and cheese will suck smoke up like a sponge if allowed to, and the pizza will taste like a half smoked pack of cigarettes! With my Green Egg, I usually get a lot of smoke at the start coming up to temp, and for a few minutes after, so patience is key, wait for the smoke to stop billowing heavily. You also want your pizza stone to be in for 8-10 minutes and heat up, but preferably with indirect heat, meaning your heat source isn’t radiating directly up to the bottom of your stone. The Egg and other ceramic grills have a great insert for that, not sure how to make that work on others. If you can get the right temperature to the stone, the dough will bake and rise all the way through from the heat of the stone just as the top is done from ambient heat. Not like many pizza places where the dough is undercooked or even raw in the middle. Use a pizza paddle to pickup up your pie (with the parchment paper still under it) and transfer to the stone, 15-20 minutes and you’ve got amazing pizza!

This was tonight, with the quarantine going on we grabbed a take home kit from a local pizza place. Their ingredients weren’t the quality we normally get, but it was nice to support a local business.

49725008513_1c238ab654_z.jpg

This is one of our favorites (different night), BBQ chicken pizza. BBQ sauce, smoked gouda, chicken breast, red onion, bell peppers, and Granny Smith apple slices.

49725888392_a87ffc2e6f_z.jpg

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I’m bored, and figure a few extra recipes might help y’all pass the time if you’re quarantined! Plus, I’ve been told the food isn’t terrible ;)

Considering buying a pellet grill. I pretty much have it down to the Champ Chef WiFi 24. Would kinda like the 36 but out of stock for at least 1 month. I would be open to suggestions. I know I want pellet, and I want the WiFi interface. Would like to keep it under $1000. Suggestions?

Considering buying a pellet grill. I pretty much have it down to the Champ Chef WiFi 24. Would kinda like the 36 but out of stock for at least 1 month. I would be open to suggestions. I know I want pellet, and I want the WiFi interface. Would like to keep it under $1000. Suggestions?
Man, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Traeger. I bought the Ironwood 650. It's $200 over your budget though.

To reinforce @bodia ’s recommendation, tonight’s cook is pizza! Like he said, it takes your pizza to another level!

if you can source quality ingredients, and get the technique down, just like with ribs, you can make a pizza that many restaurants can’t match. I prefer to get pre-made dough when possible, it makes things much easier. Trader Joe’s sells a pretty good one. Good sauce, quality cheese, meat, and fresh veggies will also improve the end result. I like Rao’s brand sauce, and I always get cheese from the swanky cheese counter at the grocery, not just the shredded, bagged stuff, it makes a big difference! Fresh mozzarella is great, just try to get one that’s bagged and vacuum sealed without much water in it, if it’s too wet the extra water will cook out and make a nice puddle on your pizza. Lay out a big piece of parchment paper and spread a small handful of semolina flour on it, and lay the dough down on that to spread it out - makes working much easier and it’s also what gives that nice grainy, crunchy crust on the bottom when cooked. Then apply toppings and trim the parchment right at the edge of the dough.

The cook is part 2 of important things. I always, always use a pizza stone, and shoot for a temp of about 450F. If you’re using a smoker or grill of some kind, the trick is actually to minimize the amount of smoke being generated. The dough and cheese will suck smoke up like a sponge if allowed to, and the pizza will taste like a half smoked pack of cigarettes! With my Green Egg, I usually get a lot of smoke at the start coming up to temp, and for a few minutes after, so patience is key, wait for the smoke to stop billowing heavily. You also want your pizza stone to be in for 8-10 minutes and heat up, but preferably with indirect heat, meaning your heat source isn’t radiating directly up to the bottom of your stone. The Egg and other ceramic grills have a great insert for that, not sure how to make that work on others. If you can get the right temperature to the stone, the dough will bake and rise all the way through from the heat of the stone just as the top is done from ambient heat. Not like many pizza places where the dough is undercooked or even raw in the middle. Use a pizza paddle to pickup up your pie (with the parchment paper still under it) and transfer to the stone, 15-20 minutes and you’ve got amazing pizza!

This was tonight, with the quarantine going on we grabbed a take home kit from a local pizza place. Their ingredients weren’t the quality we normally get, but it was nice to support a local business.

49725008513_1c238ab654_z.jpg

This is one of our favorites (different night), BBQ chicken pizza. BBQ sauce, smoked gouda, chicken breast, red onion, bell peppers, and Granny Smith apple slices.

49725888392_a87ffc2e6f_z.jpg

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I’m bored, and figure a few extra recipes might help y’all pass the time if you’re quarantined! Plus, I’ve been told the food isn’t terrible ;)
Yeah, Andy, that looks delicious! The grocery store we go to sells made in house raw pizza dough in their deli. I grab one of those, and pretty much stick to the same method as you. Twenty minutes at 450 and you've got a great pizza. Never though about apples. May have to try that.

Back