What neck shape is most often found on 90's CE22 and CU22 guitars?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
My three CE22's and my CU22 all seem to have the same neck shape.

But I don't know what it's called.

Wide thin maybe? They don't seem especially wide or especially thin.

Just super comfortable.

I have two '95's, one '97 and one '00 and they're pretty much interchangeable when I switch from one to the other.

Meaning, that they all feel about the same.

Last edited:
Wide Fat for sure. Some of the older CU22 guitars were able to be purchased with a Wide Thin neck but they were much more rare. I am not sure if the CE22 ever came with a Wide Thin.

Wide Fat for sure. Some of the older CU22 guitars were able to be purchased with a Wide Thin neck but they were much more rare. I am not sure if the CE22 ever came with a Wide Thin.
Then my CU22 must be one rare bird with mccary controls and wide thin neck... :)

Last edited:
I believe the CE-22’s were available with the wide thin neck for a while at least.

I remember not seeing many CU22s with a Wide Thin profile. The same goes for the CU24. Those were typically a Wide Thin but occasionally a Regular. I am not as in the know on the CE line. The only guitar I own from that line is the SAS, which is basically the same as the CE but made with the ash body. That has a WF neck in it.

On the CU22 in those days you had the option of Wide Fat or Wide Thin. Fat was most common, but there are some Thins out there for sure.

The CE22 also had the same option for the first few years of its existence. By the late 90's or early 00's (not exactly sure), they streamlined it to W/F only.

So yours are probably W/F, but the only way to really know is pull the pickups and check the codes in the routs.

The shapes are only wide in comparison to the PRS Regular neck shape, which is a teensy bit narrower at the nut. The Wide shapes are a very normal 1 11/16" at the nut.

The Thins are like .83 ish inches at the first fret and the Fats are .86 or .87 ish, something like that. So yeah, never getting Ibanez thin or baseball bat fat.

On the CU22 in those days you had the option of Wide Fat or Wide Thin. Fat was most common, but there are some Thins out there for sure.

The CE22 also had the same option for the first few years of its existence. By the late 90's or early 00's (not exactly sure), they streamlined it to W/F only.

So yours are probably W/F, but the only way to really know is pull the pickups and check the codes in the routs.

The shapes are only wide in comparison to the PRS Regular neck shape, which is a teensy bit narrower at the nut. The Wide shapes are a very normal 1 11/16" at the nut.

The Thins are like .83 ish inches at the first fret and the Fats are .86 or .87 ish, something like that. So yeah, never getting Ibanez thin or baseball bat fat.

The 1 11/16" nut width is what I'm used to, and the PRS wide/fat neck feels as familiar as my '61 Gibson ES335.

Like you said, the CE22's from 1995 - 00 just feel like they have a "normal" neck to me.

Last edited:

The 1 11/16" nut width is what I'm used to, and the PRS wide/fat neck feels as familiar as my '61 Gibson ES335.

Like you said, the CE22's from 1995 - 00 all just feel they have a "normal" neck to me.

The Wide designation has always been something people have misunderstood. In the rest of the guitar world 1 11/16 is a standard nut width as mentioned. I started on a Strat so I have been playing that nut width from the beginning of my learning.

I would say that Fat is also misleading except I have a CU22 and an SAS that truly have fat necks on them. They are bigger than the neck on my 594, but not too fat for my liking.

Back