Which neck profiles on (older) SE Standards and Customs (and SE 245) ?

alwinvrm

QUESTIONS:

1) I read that older SE Standards have wide fat necks. Do all SE Standards have wide thin necks as of a certain year or is it a mix and what is the year of the change to wide thin?

2) Do all SE Customs, regardless of age, have wide thin necks?

3) Is it true all models in all years of SE 245's have fat necks?

4) With Asian guitars I feel the newer the better the guitars and QC in general. Should I be discouraged to buy for example a 2009 MIK, that are more affordable 2nd hand? I care about the quality of the build and woods, fretwork, neck stability. Electronics can be changed.

Thank you for your help.

BACKGROUND:

Thanx for adding me. I am about to get my first PRS. It will probably be a 2nd hand SE Standard or Custom 24 (or 22), or maybe a more expensive 2021 SE standard Tremonti.

I have very small hands, less than 8 inch span. So after going through the posts here the 245's were unfortunately off the list because they all seem to have wide fat necks. I have necks with comparable thickness and width (Gretsch, 5220, 2655), which are too big for me. After reading posts It is still not clear whether the SE Customs always had wide thin necks, and what neck profiles were used on the SE Standard and when.

Last edited:
I own an SE 245 MIK model. No issues with quality. The neck shape has grown on me. I prefer the pattern regular though. Don’t have large heads either.

I own an SE 245 MIK model. No issues with quality. The neck shape has grown on me. I prefer the pattern regular though. Don’t have large heads either.
Thanks for the thumbs up on the 245 MIK quality. I like the wide thin neck but I know from comparable necks that the current wide fat neck is too chunky.

Back