What color bobbins to expect under Dragon II covers? Also bridge pup spacing?

funkywrench

I have a PRS CE-22 that I'm thinking of upgrading the bridge pickup in. I've found a good deal on a Suhr Aldrich but it has double black bobbins.

Since I'm reasonably happy with the Dragon II in the neck (for now anyway), I'm thinking of removing the nickel cover so it better matches the bridge. Only question is, does anyone know if the bobbins will also be double black?

It would be annoying to remove the covers and find something else so I thought I'd check first!

Also, the Suhr pickup I have my eye on has the 50mm spacing. Will this still work properly with the PRS trem bridge, or would I be better off getting a 53mm spaced version?

OK, someone who owns a US guitar will need to verify this...

On my SE, the spacing (Of the stock pickups) was 50mm neck and 52mm bridge. This was with the wraparound bridge.

I think the US guitars use standard (50mm) spacing on both pups? Or do they use F-spaced?

For my SE Bernie I just got standard spacing on my BKP Mule neck and Doug Aldrich Bridge and it looks fine.

I'd say go standard, but let's see what others have to say incase i'm talking out the wrong end!

The US models use standard spaced pickups for both neck and bridge positions. Most of the SE models however us a standard spaced neck pup and an F space bridge pup.

Most likely you will find two black bobbins under the cover of your Dragon II, but you'll never know for sure until you pop that baby off.

Most likely you will find two black bobbins under the cover of your Dragon II, but you'll never know for sure until you pop that baby off.

Yeah, what he said. DO IT!

Words of advice: I would first heat the top of the cover up with a hair dryer a little bit. This will make the wax used to ensure a tight fit with the pickup and cover much easier to deal with. Also, use a razor to cut the solder. A nice clean job will make it much easier :)

50 mm spacing will work just fine in any PRS guitar.
Chances are your dragons have black Bobbins.

Back