What Are Your Favorite Amps To Play?

I recently picked up a Friedman mini Dirty Shirley for a great price (under a grand) and I'm loving it as my pedal platform the effects loop is stellar and it's the only handwired mini that Friedman made (so maybe a collectable someday?) it's only a single channel amp but, IMHO. the onboard preamp switch's make it sound like a two channel. In addition I also have a Supro 5w Blues King which is a great amp for the price and I'm thinking about a wet/dry rig some time in the future but atm I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Friedman. For anyone curious my bedroom settings for this amp are just under 2 for the Gain and Master volume.

Today was my Mesa Single Rectifier.
Tried a bunch of different settings I got off the web and even swapped in some Mesa EL34’s.
Wound up EXACTLY where everything was when I first plugged in!:p:D
I REALLY love this amp.:)
I Love When That Type of Thing Happens. You Go Searching And Digging Around To Find That Little Bit Of Extra Juice Only To Discover You Already Had It All Along. Great Reminder To Trust Your Ears And Be Content..At Least It Is For Me. :)

I Love When That Type of Thing Happens. You Go Searching And Digging Around To Find That Little Bit Of Extra Julie Bowen, Only To Discover You Already Had It All Along. Great Reminder To Trust Your Ears And Be Content..At Least It Is For Me. :)

Fixed.

This message is brought to you with the approval of @WingerRules.

For me it's usually single-channel (sometimes a M.V., and sometimes not) typically Fender-y based designs; and/or anything that says "Carr" on it... because those are always good.

But this week it's been the 1x10 Rivera Clubster combo that I just snagged, because I've been wanting a Super Champ-like amp, and this thing does not disappoint. (In fact, it probably beats the crap out of a real Super Champ.) Compact, loud, and proud little 1x10 combo that does NOT sound wimpy.

Honestly, I really seem to gravitate toward about any amp that has a large enough transformer set for a tight low-end. If I can get a sweet, full clean sound with no flab on the bottom I am happy. I tend to prefer amps that have mids - so MOST modern hi-gain amps sound brittle and sort of generic to me. I live in the modified-Marshall and/or "Dumble" world. i prefer Marshall tones for rhythm and the Dumble-thing for leads. Clean sounds? I have gone back to my roots. Give an 85-100 watt Fender all day: Showman, Twin, etc and I am happy.

If the amp is solid state, I can dig it for cleans. For gain, I am not a pedal dude, so give a hybrid or MOSFET amp and I can make it work. There are exceptions of course - the newer Orange SS thing is pretty cool, some of the Peavey stuff was pretty awesome.

And obviously, none of it is THAT important to me - I use a Helix. I am MORE than pleased with my "amps" right now.

I live in the modified-Marshall and/or "Dumble" world. i prefer Marshall tones for rhythm and the Dumble-thing for leads. Clean sounds? I have gone back to my roots. Give an 85-100 watt Fender all day: Showman, Twin, etc and I am happy.
Sounds like you and I would get along just fine :)

My main amps are a bunch of Two Rocks (one of which is a very Dumble-adjacent circuit), a herd of "Fenders-with-attitude" (as I've always referred to my Boogie MkIIA-Coli IIB-IIC+ faves), black panel Showman, silver-face Dual Showman Reverb, Zinky-era Tone-Master, a handful of Groove Tubes amps and a plexi PA head.

What D-style amps have you tried and liked in the actual physical?

Sounds like you and I would get along just fine :)

My main amps are a bunch of Two Rocks (one of which is a very Dumble-adjacent circuit), a herd of "Fenders-with-attitude" (as I've always referred to my Boogie MkIIA-Coli IIB-IIC+ faves), black panel Showman, silver-face Dual Showman Reverb, Zinky-era Tone-Master, a handful of Groove Tubes amps and a plexi PA head.

What D-style amps have you tried and liked in the actual physical?

I have tried a few different D-types. I've played with Devon Allman a couple times and he had some really nice Fuchs amps. Played one of his and it was mesmerizing. I have tried several others that have also blown me away. I have tried the Amplified Nation amp and realized it feels like my old RIvera TBR-1M - comfy like an old shoe. I'd buy one, lol. I want to try a Two Rock but there aren't any nearby. Sometimes GC in Orlando or Miami get one in. I have feelers out. Next time they do, I'll make the drive to try it out.

I also played a modified Deluxe that a guy over here has. Not sure WHO did the mods, but it was GLORIOUS. There was something VERY comfortable about how that amp responded - spongy enough to bounce when hitting chords, and single notes sustain and bloom without lot "fuzz"...what I call "clean distortion". If I could have one TODAY, it would be that Deluxe!!!

I also tried the VHT D50 thinking it could do it for me on a budget. It's not too bad, but if I am going to have a physical D-type, then I want something that is done with higher build quality. The only VHT I really like is the old Fryette-era Pitbull 100 Classic - but that is a different beast all together....

Surprisingly, my FAVORITE Marshall of ALL time is the hybrid Artist 3203 - SS preamp with an EL34 power section. I can get every tone I need with that head and NO extra effects. IF I ever get physical amps again, that one is on the top of the list.

With Fender, I have had the Bassman amps - a 58, a 65 set, and the Bassman 100 (many hate it, but it's great for bass AND tight, loud clean tones). Of course I spent my time with the silver-face Twin Reverb, but I find those to be VERY limiting. I love them clean, but trying to naturally drive one????

We opened for Anvil a few times after their movie came out and they were beginning to experience a "come back" of sorts. I was hanging off the side of the stage while Sunlord played and Lips walked over. We were rocking out to Sunlord (we had already played). After their set, during change over, we were talking amps. I was still doing Rivera - he was intrigued. Then I asked him if he was really running TWO Super Twin Reverbs with TWO double 15" cabs. He said yeah, and he cranked those amps to TEN!!!!! HOLY !@^$%$&#!@*!!#!#&%%^* his rig was punishingly loud. Yikes. Nugent did that early on, too...

I have a Silverface Dual Showman that is in a 4x10 Concert cab loaded with EVM10 speakers. My brother uses it for his surf band. That is a loud, clean amp that rings with such beauty. He's also got my 66 Tube Reverb Unit. PERFECT surf sound!!! I don't talk about that much here, but I used to surf music with him in the early 90s. The Rivera's worked great for that, too.

I remember when Bruce Zinky was at Fender. Those CS amps were awesome. COngrats on that Tone-Master. I always liked those. While not a Zinky design, I really like the Fender Super Sonic 22 also. I can get that nice, fat singing neck pick-up sound on that amp VERY easily without getting that fizz and fuzz that something like an ENGL provides.

Awesome story! The amp journey sounds so familiar too 😁

Way back in the mid-Noughties, I got my K&M Two Rocks in Miami.......

Last edited:
Oh yeah!!!! Forgot to mention my experiences with Kitty Hawk in the 90s!!! I had their Boogie clone (garbage) and what I later found out was a D-clone. I had NO idea how to work it. I practically those two heads away. I traded them to a guitar shop for my first Japanese ESP (real deal, when they actually labeled their guitars ESP) MII Deluxe.

I still think I got the better end of that deal, lol....though if given the Kitty Hawk's now, I'd be better versed in how to use them.

Oh yeah!!!! Forgot to mention my experiences with Kitty Hawk in the 90s!!! I had their Boogie clone (garbage) and what I later found out was a D-clone. I had NO idea how to work it. I practically those two heads away. I traded them to a guitar shop for my first Japanese ESP (real deal, when they actually labeled their guitars ESP) MII Deluxe.

I still think I got the better end of that deal, lol....though if given the Kitty Hawk's now, I'd be better versed in how to use them.

Some earlier Sh*ttyhawks were allegedly quite well-done, and I've heard claims on their behalf over the years.

I've never yet been able to find one of these unicorns, and I expect I never will: but if I did, I expect it'd go up in smoke just as I get it properly dialed-in..........

Some earlier Sh*ttyhawks were allegedly quite well-done, and I've heard claims on their behalf over the years.

I've never yet been able to find one of these unicorns, and I expect I never will: but if I did, I expect it'd go up in smoke just as I get it properly dialed-in..........

There's a few on Reverb. I was remotely thinking of grabbing the little 5 watter that's for sale on there, but came to my senses and realized:

1. I hate little amps

2. The last two examples were garbage

3. The last two sucked

4. I hate little amps

5. My Helix is better for low volume than a 5 watt tube amp that most likely will SUCK and waste my money

:)

it all depends on the sound i seek, and different guitars respond better to certain amps, but in general:

My main amps:
Archon 100 when i want power.
Dallas when i want clean.
C when i want classic grit or crispy cleans.

When i'm looking for something a little different:
HX/DA
MT-15

When i'm looking for something specific:
Columbia Reverb (Louis Electric) for vintage cleans, especially with tremelo
JCM 2000 for a classic true Marshall sound
Blues Junior for grimy raunch

Back