What amp do us peasants play our SE's through?

Peavey Envoy 110 Transtube. Has 2 clean selections and 3 dirty selections. High and low gain inputs, cab output, and headphone jack for when the wife is sleeping (most of the time)
Hi what do you make of your SE have not got mine yet, am split between the custom24 and the 245 love the 245 shape

Hi what do you make of your SE have not got mine yet, am split between the custom24 and the 245 love the 245 shape
I absolutely love my SE! It is super versatile with the split coil feature, its like having a Strat and a LP in one guitar. Sustain is amazing. I was originally thinking the 245/single cut shape but fell into the Custom 24 deal on the interwebs. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me get the 245 in a few years, or win one.

A modified blackstar running at 18watts. Then there's a VOX style pre-amp slave into the loop, so the power section amplifies that, but still EL34.

Helix running stereo into 2 Stagesource speakers. The Helix keeps getting better with each update.

Recently added the Helix LT that I've been running direct live for the last couple of shows. Pretty sweet and much easier break down. ;)

I'm hearing awfully good things about the new Marshall 20 watt DSL head. Clips I've heard sound really good. It's $499 new with discounts easily available.

DSL5c with a 12" Veteran 30 shoehorned in. Pretty versatile amp with few shortcomings after the speaker upgrade.

@DreamTheaterRules. I'm also interested in one of the new Marshall Heads. Waiting to see how the Origin 20h compares to the new DSL20h. Been using combos since I started playing and quite fancy a vertical 2x12 with a smallish Marshall head.

DSL5c with a 12" Veteran 30 shoehorned in. Pretty versatile amp with few shortcomings after the speaker upgrade.

@DreamTheaterRules. I'm also interested in one of the new Marshall Heads. Waiting to see how the Origin 20h compares to the new DSL20h. Been using combos since I started playing and quite fancy a vertical 2x12 with a smallish Marshall head.

Origin will be more plexi based, much less gain. Should be good, I'd think. It's MIE, while the DLS is MIC so quality should be a notch above. But almost 3 times the price and way less gain IF you're wanting the gain available on the DSL. The 20 is getting much better marks for pure "tone" than the previous versions.

That said, if you want more gain, the MT15 is only $150 more and it should CRUSH!

Dead+Wall+1.jpg

well I sold my SE Santana, but I was playing it through Fender Blues Jr. My CE is now playing through it.

I have a lot of amps (all are tube amps), Fender, MB, Peavey, Carvin, Bugera, Bell & Howell, Epiphone, all great in their own way. But since I got my Bugera, the 1990 head through a 4x12 gets the most playing time. I originally got the amp, thinking that since it is a very inexpensive Chinese amp, I would end up gutting it and building my own circuit. But turns out, I was more than pleasantly surprised to learn that not only are Bugeras great sounding amps, they are also very well built. The 1990, on gain channel with gain cranked, is extremely quiet, barely a slight audible hiss, and wonderful sounds on gain and clean channels, and I prefer the Triode mode. So naturally, I got another, a T50, which is also awesome (Cathode bias mode rocks!). I use all of my amps, but keep coming back to the 1990 more often than any others, and the T50 is small and portable, for when I travel (not often).

I am looking at the PRS Tremonti 15 watt amp, seems promising. Debating preordering ....

I play mine through the Archon 100W head into a Marshall 412 with V30's and GT75's in an X pattern along with with a Port City 212 loaded with Jesen's. I also sometimes play through a voodoo modded Marshall JMP-1 and 9200 power amp with a TC G-Major 2 effects processor, but since I got the Archon early last year the Marshall doesn't get much love anymore.

Back