We're All Alright! Rick Nielsen in "Guitar Player" Magazine!

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
Non-PRS related, but still cool in my book. The July 2013 issue of "Guitar Player" has a cover story on Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick. It's the 35th Anniversary of "Live At Budokan". Also includes a sidebar mini-interview with Jol Dantzig, formerly the main man at Hamer, on some of the guitars the company made for Rick over the years.

While I was at the books and music store getting the issue today, I also picked up a 3CD set of CT in the Checkerboard tin for 99 cents! (I already have the CDs, but I can always use a cool tin.) A good way to celebrate one of my personal "Big Five" favorite bands!

Long Live Cheap Trick!

Lloyd/Goldtop/CT Fan From The Beginning!

P.S. - I'm curious as to whether or not PRS has done any custom work for Rick. I've never seen him play a PRS, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has a few in his collection. Shawn, do you know, and would you care to say?

I read it too, great article.
I sub to three guitar magazines each month, and I am finding there is PRS coverage in just about every issue now of an artist, very cool.

It's the 35th Anniversary of "Live At Budokan".

Oh jeez, I am old. I wore that record out back in high school. I remember seeing Cheap Trick albums in the record store racks but didn't know anything about them, then "Surrender" hit the radio and I went straight to the store and bought Live at Budokan. Shortly after that, I saw them on The Midnight Special or Don Kirshner or somewhere and Rick Nielsen blew me away.

Oh jeez, I am old. I wore that record out back in high school. I remember seeing Cheap Trick albums in the record store racks but didn't know anything about them, then "Surrender" hit the radio and I went straight to the store and bought Live at Budokan. Shortly after that, I saw them on The Midnight Special or Don Kirshner or somewhere and Rick Nielsen blew me away.

That's cool, Daniel. I'm old too. But that's a good thing, right? We're still here kicking. And posting!

I had the first LPs of theirs. I think there were only three at the time, but I may be wrong; it was too long ago. Anyway, I was nuts about them, and somehow I knew a guy at a radio station who was into them too, and he kept telling me they had a great live album that had only been released in Japan. I called every record store I could find in the USA. All the chains that were around back then (Sound Warehouse, etc.), and some of the big independent stores (Ernest Tubb's place in Nashville). FINALLY, I managed to get that sucker; an import album with the Japanese band wrapped around it, the booklet inside in Japanese, the whole bit. It cost me some crazy amount like $25.00 or so, which was outrageous at that time. Not to mention my phone bill. I thought it was worth every penny.

Later on it came out that the label they were on at the time (Epic) had to wait to release the next record "Dream Police" because "Budokan" sold like crazy once they finally released it domestically.

I miss that excitement, that anticipation, of a new record coming out. It's just not the same as it was then. Now we know who's in the studio, who the 'surprise guest players' are, what they drink, where they hang out after the sessions... It takes away the mystery and some of the fun IMO.

Lloyd

My son and I saw them together a few years back when they came to Detroit's Fillmore. They still kicked butt. Very, very loud show, though!

I love Cheap Trick. I'm a classic rock guy for music so I loved seeing that article. I saw them open for Aerosmith (another favorite). My first show actually.

I just want to thank you guys for the responses. It warms my heart to know that I'm not the only CT fan around.

Lloyd/Goldtop

I love Cheap Trick. I'm a classic rock guy for music so I loved seeing that article. I saw them open for Aerosmith (another favorite). My first show actually.

That's a great first show. I saw them on the same tour (I think). It was for Aerosmith's "Honkin on Bobo". Here's a little story about that night: The show was in Lubbock Texas at United Spirit Arena on the campus of Texas Tech University. At that time, Bobby Knight was the boy's basketball coach there, and he was practically the 'King of the City'. The college gave him just about anything he wanted, and he took full advantage.

The show starts, and after a few numbers, Rick goes into a little stage rap. In it he mentions that the band wanted to come over earlier in the day and hang out, sound check, whatever, but that Bobby Knight wouldn't let 'em because he 'was doing something with his basketball team and wouldn't let anybody in the arena'. Rick was ticked off, and just speaking his mind, but many in this crowd thought that Knight was The Man. Before you know it, some of them are booing Rick, which helped his mood no end. When he heard the boos, he got hot and more determined, so after wrapping up his rant with a couple of not-so-nice comments aimed at Knight and 'his pals in the crowd', the band blasted off into the next song and never looked back.

It was one of the best CT shows I've ever seen... Long Live Cheap Trick!!!

Lloyd/Goldtop

That's a great first show. I saw them on the same tour (I think). It was for Aerosmith's "Honkin on Bobo". Here's a little story about that night: The show was in Lubbock Texas at United Spirit Arena on the campus of Texas Tech University. At that time, Bobby Knight was the boy's basketball coach there, and he was practically the 'King of the City'. The college gave him just about anything he wanted, and he took full advantage.

The show starts, and after a few numbers, Rick goes into a little stage rap. In it he mentions that the band wanted to come over earlier in the day and hang out, sound check, whatever, but that Bobby Knight wouldn't let 'em because he 'was doing something with his basketball team and wouldn't let anybody in the arena'. Rick was ticked off, and just speaking his mind, but many in this crowd thought that Knight was The Man. Before you know it, some of them are booing Rick, which helped his mood no end. When he heard the boos, he got hot and more determined, so after wrapping up his rant with a couple of not-so-nice comments aimed at Knight and 'his pals in the crowd', the band blasted off into the next song and never looked back.

It was one of the best CT shows I've ever seen... Long Live Cheap Trick!!!

Lloyd/Goldtop

Interesting!

Yes it was on the "Bobo" tour - in 2004 in Peoria, IL.

Saw them a couple of years ago at SXSW. Did you catch Rick on American Pickers (TV show)? He wouldn't sell one of his guitars that the guys wanted, but the let them 'borrow' it to hang in their Nashville store, so he would have something to play if he passed through. He did sell them stuff tour jackets, poster. and road cases. Looks like he keeps everything. And I used to have a book on his guitar collection. I know he has a ton of vintage, rare Gibsons and Fenders.

Back