NGD! Didn't want to do it like this...

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

So, my "what would DTR's ultimate strat be" thread was SUPPOSED to be a thread where people remembered the hundreds of times that I said that my all time favorite strat would match Jimi at Woodstack and Trower Live. That means... white body, white pick guard, white pickups, maple fingerboard.

If ANYONE had gotten that part, I was ready for the big reveal. But, so far, things have not been so great. So I waited. But here it is... THANKS to brother Aahzz, I found an all white maple fingerboard Silver Sky. It's only 6 months old and I didn't even have to trade the Mira towards it.

The problem is, the previous owner (it's only 6 months old, receipt was in the bag) tried to set it up "his way" and it was a total mess. He had 9's on it and the decked vibrato had so little tension it was up off the body, so floating. There are multiple pings when where strings are binding so it won't stay in tune at all, and it buzzes BADLY on most of the strings.

The first thing I did was put 9.5s on it this weekend and let it set for a couple days to see if the neck adjusted, and (Thanks Rick) put the 4th spring back on so it would deck the vibrato as intended.

That allowed me to play the guitar for a few days with some confidence that it will eventually all be fixed. The neck feels great! The small frets are not bad, and I find I quickly adjust to them so I think they'll be ok.

I need to adjust the saddles to get string height back to stock, same for the pickup heights, and I'm going to need to lube the nut and hope for the best because strings stick and go out of tune. Then, I might need to tweak the truss rod a bit. Assuming all that goes well, I have one big issue remaining...

The two and 4 positions sound like total crap! I mean like am radio compared to 1,3 and 5. The guy at the store told me if I had an issue he'd rewire the middle pickup for me. I don't know if that means the previous owners did something to it or not, but I'm telling you that the neck/middle position sounds horrible. No usable tones from that spot at all.

This thing looks great. It plays GREAT... dare I say that I've been right all along that the 3 per side tuners are what I always needed on a strat, because I don't feel the extra tension when bending the high strings, that I do with ALL strats. So I'm wailing away and loving it but it won't stay in tune at all, buzzes like Scott in high school, and has some kind of wiring weirdness.

It "could" end up being the strat I've always dreamed about. It certainly looks the part. One by one, I'm addressing the issues. I asked for setup guides last week because of this guitar. I can set string heights to my taste and feel, but would like to get pickups heights back to factory spec, and find out what the crap is wrong with the middle pickup.

If I get this all sorted out, I could finally have MY strat. Disappointing start, to say the least, but as of now, from what I can figure, almost none of it is PRS fault, and I did buy a used guitar... I'll see if I can post the pics Aahzz sent me before I bought it. And, any help with factory specs would be appreciated...

Here's one Aahzz took for me at the store.

ssky1.jpg

It's a great looking guitar! You'll get it sorted. Stick with it!

By the way, did anyone mention that looks kind of like a mix between Jimi's white strat and the one Trower was playing on the cover of the Live record? :) That syrupy-thick tone on Daydream was ground shaking on the old stereo.

I was figuring there must be some issues since I hadn't seen the NGD thread yet - bummer, particularly about the 2 and 4 positions. I haven't used Doug's tech for anything myself, but Doug speaks highly of him and I've played Doug's personal guitars, so I have faith that his tech will do a good job if you go that route for potential rewiring.

If y'all hadn't figured it out, Doug is the owner of the store in question. Doug and I used to be in a band together, he's a good dude, if occasionally slow to respond to texts.

Sounds like maybe that middle pickup has had its two lead wires reversed? It would still sound fine on its own, but when combined with the others it'd be out-of-phase and practically cancel the signal out.

Lord, that guitar sounds like a "project." But still it looks great and I'm sure it'll find its way back to neutral for you.

I’m sorry to hear about all the problems. Sounds like someone was in way over their head trying to “set up” the guitar and sold it rather than take it in to be put back to spec. I’m a fellow owner of a maple neck SS and I love it so much it makes me forget that I don’t really like Strats in the first place!

Sounds like maybe that middle pickup has had its two lead wires reversed? It would still sound fine on its own, but when combined with the others it'd be out-of-phase and practically cancel the signal out.

Lord, that guitar sounds like a "project." But still it looks great and I'm sure it'll find its way back to neutral for you.

Yes, that’s what it sounds like. Thing is, the 3 position is not the middle pickups on these, it’s the neck and bridge only. (Edit: and it sounds very good!) So the only pickup positions using the middle pickup at all, are the 2 and 4. And they SUCK! BAD! Volume drops to less than half, and sound is AM radio. I’ve had a few strats. With with the reverse wound middle to be hum cancelling in 2 and 4, some of them not. NONE, and none I’ve ever played, had this totally anemic tone in 2 and 4 like this one does.

If I get that, the fret buzzing and the nut sorted out, this thing could be incredible.

A bit more, and I’m talking my way through things here. All the buzzing is down low, yet it definitely has some relief. But a standard G chord has at least 3 strings buzzing. My gut says that this could mean the nut is cut too low but maybe not... But, the action is really low, so I’m hoping that when I start adjusting string height, maybe that takes care of some things. I’d also like to know how much relief it comes with. I seem to remember Paul saying in a video that it had none or very little, but that was a while back and I’m not sure.

Again, a complete set of factory setup specs would be REALLY helpful right now.

I was figuring there must be some issues since I hadn't seen the NGD thread yet - bummer, particularly about the 2 and 4 positions. I haven't used Doug's tech for anything myself, but Doug speaks highly of him and I've played Doug's personal guitars, so I have faith that his tech will do a good job if you go that route for potential rewiring.

If y'all hadn't figured it out, Doug is the owner of the store in question. Doug and I used to be in a band together, he's a good dude, if occasionally slow to respond to texts.

Yeah, I use didn’t want to come in until I had something positive to say. Now, I see light at the end of the tunnel. The strings on it were like new, but so far, I figure that at least he did 9s, removed a spring, and then when the bridge floated up, lowered the saddles. Every change I make so far is an improvement.

The nut is not ok. If the guitar comes with 10s and 9s are sticking, it needs to be at least polished out some, but everything else SO FAR is minor setup items, and ones that were probably messed with. I was SOOOO disappointed at first, but just putting the 9.5s on it and decking the bridge made things a lot better.

All that said, this is why I didn’t buy a Silver Sky when they first came out. I stated more than once, that I wouldn’t buy one until they come out with all white plus maple board, so this IS the one I’ve waited for and the only one I would have bought new or used.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two and 4 positions sound like total crap! I mean like am radio compared to 1,3 and 5. The guy at the store told me if I had an issue he'd rewire the middle pickup for me. I don't know if that means the previous owners did something to it or not, but I'm telling you that the neck/middle position sounds horrible. No usable tones from that spot at all.

If by AM radio you mean gutted off the low frequency kinda thin then it was probably rewired with middle pickup out of phase. All OoP wirings I heard sounded like ****. Have a look inside the cavity if the middle pickup looks touched. If it does flip its wires around

Yes, that’s what it sounds like. Thing is, the 3 position is not the middle pickups on these, it’s the neck and bridge only. (Edit: and it sounds very good!) So the only pickup positions using the middle pickup at all, are the 2 and 4. And they SUCK! BAD! Volume drops to less than half, and sound is AM radio. I’ve had a few strats. With with the reverse wound middle to be hum cancelling in 2 and 4, some of them not. NONE, and none I’ve ever played, had this totally anemic tone in 2 and 4 like this one does.

This sounds like somebody did rewire the thing, maybe for that very bridge + neck combination. The SS should behave like any other Strat in 2 and 4, and it sounds like yours really does not. I'll see if I've got photos of the stock wiring from when I swapped my pickguard.

This sounds like somebody did rewire the thing, maybe for that very bridge + neck combination. The SS should behave like any other Strat in 2 and 4, and it sounds like yours really does not. I'll see if I've got photos of the stock wiring from when I swapped my pickguard.
While I believe you’re right on the rest, the SS #3 position is “bridge and neck” And it sounds really good!

I’m convinced now that for some unknown reason, someone rewired the middle pickup. I played again tonight after posting... 1,3 and 5 are great! 4 stinks. 2 sucks hard! Transistor radio with a 2” speaker, hard. Neck/middle and bridge/middle should be two nice flavors with a good strat. They are NOT on my SS. I suspect foul play.

Back