Virtuosos?

sandy perlman??

This is a great point it highlights a few things
1) the technical difficulty of a music that a musician *chooses* to play, does not necessarily reflect that player’s capabilities. Underestimate a player who chooses to play music, which doesn’t require extreme dexterity at your own peril. That player may have made his or her choices of music based on musical preference alone and may well be able to play intricate and technically challenging music, should they want. We only get to hear a portion of what musicians can do, in so many cases.

2) the technical skill required to play a piece of music does not strongly correlate with the quality, durability, impact, etc of a piece of music. There are technically difficult works that are amazing and others that are pure drivel, in my opinion. Moreover, there are brilliant works, that are relatively easy to perform. And easy works that are deathly dull

Technical brilliance is worthy of respect, but is one, small, part of what can contribute to great music. Moreover, technical brilliance alone, does not make a virtuoso. Extremely rare skill, without deep musical understanding and insight, will not make one the next Schiff, or Perlman, or....

Al D is probably the only PRS player who qualifies for virtuoso status. The term gets tossed around a little too leisurely. Virtuoso is a true master of his instrument. Santana and Tremonti are good at what they do, but they aren't a Al D, Petrucci, Vai, Malmsteen, Herman Li, Guthrie Goven, etc. The best of the best.

Was almost in full agreement at what you said, but then you mentioned Herman Li and I just couldn't.

Also, sorry for opening a can of worms but, all I was really asking for are prog/jazz/fusion/rock guys who played PRSs. Like, people who you would normally associate with playing an ibanez or strandberg, for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: jxe
if you’d told me in 1991 that nuno bettencourt from ‘hole-hearted’ would still be around and remembered in 2018... well i just don’t know what.

In today's day & age of programmed music I find it funny that such arguments even come up anymore. I guess it's just old farts like me and people who cling on to the older values of musicianship.

That said, Drew knew he would catch some flack by saying Al D is the only virtuoso, and that list of others (including Herman Lio_O), which seems to be based on a shredding, tapping, and techniques pioneered by EVH, Satriani, & Vai, a small slice of the pie at this time. *DON'T GET ME WRONG* you're hearing this from a guy that grew up thru the 70's and was deeply influenced by the high level technical abilities of Fusion guitarists and Hard Rock Lead guitar, but *VIRTUOSITY* like many aspects of art and music is subjective.

Virtuosity does not mean "I can play a million notes" or "I can do all the high octane techniques of the master shredders", it simply means that you take your art to the highest level you can and to present it in a way that people can appreciate the high level of artistry. The term can be applied to Opera singers as well a blues players alike, and neither one of them do 64th notes too often, so keep in mind that "VIRTUOSITY" is not reserved just for cats that can shred with blinding speed.

IT APPLIES TO ALL ARTISTS THAT TAKE THEIR ART TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL.

Nuno is a top notch player, but the proof is in the pudding, they got recognized for songs that were less than aggressive and technical on the guitar work.
Good enough to be paid attention to, but not enough to shake up the world when there were others just as good & better that were established at the time.

A player that only diehard guitar fans know of.

right on. i 'knew' joe on the folk music scene around '89 and was pretty confused when i first saw the bettencourt washburn.

I said GUITAR fans not Folk Music fans.
Banjo, I believe was his primary instrument.
RIP Joe.

Nuno is a top notch player, but the proof is in the pudding, they got recognized for songs that were less than aggressive and technical on the guitar work.
Good enough to be paid attention to, but not enough to shake up the world when there were others just as good & better that were established at the time.

A player that only diehard guitar fans know of.

You could say the same about Clapton, or John Mayer, with respect to your first sentence. I happen to be in the Clapton is God camp, but lets face it, a lot of his playing is understated, and far less than he is capable of. Same with JM.

As for Nuno, I was knee deep into that era of players. I thought he was a breath of fresh air when the burst on the scene. I liked his playing more than most of their songs. But, they were damn catchy tunes!

Al D is probably the only PRS player who qualifies for virtuoso status. The term gets tossed around a little too leisurely. Virtuoso is a true master of his instrument. Santana and Tremonti are good at what they do, but they aren't a Al D, Petrucci, Vai, Malmsteen, Herman Li, Guthrie Goven, etc. The best of the best.

The criteria for virtuoso status, while extremely high, is also subjective. Most of you are likely far better judges of that that I. So out of curiosity, why would a guy like Tremonti, NOT be considered a "virtuoso"?

If I'm trying to be objective, no subjective, how is he not at that level? Is it wounded by his time in Creed? Is it because he's a rock/metal guy?
His chops are absolutely incredible.

I ask not to assuage anyone's opinions, I'm trying to be better informed in my own. That said, when speaking to bias, I do believe myself to be a good judge of skills; and I'd say that Tremonti's chops are up there with the best of them. But I am willing to be taught. :)

Back