Why is there not a maple fingerboard option for core models?

Lovefish01

I've always played maple fingerboard guitars only.
My first guitar had one and I've never really liked the feel of any other fretboard woods since.
I have spent a good few years looking around for a core maple fingerboard custom 24 or McCarty with no luck at all.

In the end, saved up hard and bought a not insignificantly priced wood library custom 24 just to have a maple fingerboard custom 24. Which I'm absolutely delighted with and will be buried with it I think :D
however, I don't think I could ever regularly gig with it. TBH I'm scared to take it out of the house right now o_O

I know now that there are a few more maple fingerboard PRS models available/becoming available, particularly the bolt-on models than there used to be years ago. With regard to that, the Dustie Waring signature guitar does look really nice although I think id end up having to change a lot on it to suit me and single-coil strat type guitars just ain't for me either as nice as the Fiore and silver sky models look.

I've just always found it strange that maple fingerboards a so few and far between with PRS guitars unless you go with the wood library or private stock. Most companies offer at least one maple fingerboard option for each of their guitar models.

Id really love to get myself a regular giggable not scared if it got a few knocks PRS guitar from the core series.
A core custom 24 or McCarty with a Dustie Waring sig style neck on would be the dream.

It'd also be amazing to see a Santana, Tremonti or even an anniversary Dragon series with a maple fingerboard option also one of these day <3

Lots of Wood Library guitars in the wild with maple boards. I’ve owned a few.
I know. As stated above I have one.
However I wouldn't want to take a 5k guitar out gigging with me
I'd prefer a core with a maple fingerboard which is 2k cheaper but isn't currently an option.

Damn that's stunning I did not know about this!
Cheers for the info and an NGD also
Any idea on price point?
Take it this isn't in production anymore?

Thanks! No longer made and you can find them for some pretty good deals too. Mine was a steal.
I know I'm blown away actually. I've seen one with the same tricolour sunburst as yours that's a really good price. However, I can't pull the trigger right now as not long bought a PS guitar. But I think for a really nice regular gigging guitar one of these or something similar could be ideal.
What are the standard pickups like? I saw you switched yours out on yours?
Shame there are no birds tho.

You should check out a Johnny Hiland model. They were only made for I think 3 years or so (06-09? Correct me if I am wrong), but I think they may fit the bill. They are essentially an upscale Core model CE 24: mahogany body, maple top (with 10 top option), maple neck and fingerboard.
Thanks for the info, yes the Johnny Hiland is definitely in the ballpark of what I was looking for
I've found an orange one that looks fantastic and 24 frets which is what I'm looking for.
Only concern is the neck seems to be pretty fat and I'm usually a thin neck guy.

Last edited:
I know I'm blown away actually. I've seen one with the same tricolour sunburst as yours that's a really good price. However, I can't pull the trigger right now as not long bought a PS guitar. But I think for a really nice regular gigging guitar one of these or something similar could be ideal.
What are the standard pickups like? I saw you switched yours out on yours?
Shame there are no birds tho.

Standard pickups are McCarty. I have the 85/15 in there now. There's some floating around with birds, but I've only seen it on rosewood board. Doesn't mean there's not on maple. I dont know. I didn't really care if it had birds. I'm not one that cares too much about that. The abalone is really sweet and it gives me variety.

Standard pickups are McCarty. I have the 85/15 in there now. There's some floating around with birds, but I've only seen it on rosewood board. Doesn't mean there's not on maple. I dont know. I didn't really care if it had birds. I'm not one that cares too much about that. The abalone is really sweet and it gives me variety.
I mean the birds don't make or break it for me either. I guess I just assumed that all PRS guitars had them.
Id say the only thing putting me off the SAS is the 22 frets. I've always played 24. Like I said I've found one for sale local ish so ill get over and try it when when I get the chance :)

I definitely have never wanted to change anything on my DW CE24, I highly recommend it!
If I was into the band then I might consider getting one.
Plus for me personally, all the body finishes seem to be really dark and I much prefer the brighter colour stains etc. But the old adage goes don't knock it till you've tried it right.
So I won't count it out until I go and play one for a bit.
However, I do get the feeling the pickups would probably be switched out straight away from what I can tell from youtube play throughs.

I know next to nothing about him or his band. :) But those Mojotone pu's sound fantastic, and are very flexible. Fairly high output but you can lower them and move them into PAF territory - not to mention the volume knob. They are some of my favorite pu's, ever.

Yes, the colors aren't going to be for everyone, mine's in black and is a nice contrast to my other guitars.

I know next to nothing about him or his band. :) But those Mojotone pu's sound fantastic, and are very flexible. Fairly high output but you can lower them and move them into PAF territory - not to mention the volume knob. They are some of my favorite pu's, ever.

Yes, the colors aren't going to be for everyone, mine's in black and is a nice contrast to my other guitars.
Well ill definitely have to give one a play for sure next time I can get near a PRS guitar supplier with one in stock.
Agreed with the dark colours I always go for bright punchy coloured guitars whites, bright blues etc because then I stand out more on stage and everyone knows the lead guitarist is the most important member of the band and all of the crowd should therefore be looking at him all the time with his bright shiny guitars :p:cool:;)

Also, I like Floyd rose trems but I already got a few guitars that do that job and a fixed bridge or vintage trem would be preferable.

I have had a good look around on the net and there is a silver-blue smoke burst and violin amber sunburst versions that looks quite nice and not too dark. So if I try the DW and love it that or a custom colour could be an option.

When I first started procuring PRSi, there was a standard upgrade package offered on many models for neck woods, fretboard woods, quilt vs flamed 10-top, and maybe a few other things, like hybrid hardware, etc - it was called Artist Package, and was variably priced depending on what upgrades you picked.

That doesn't exist anymore (hasn't for years), and it now appears PRS has chosen to further simplify their production line, offering only core models (not even 10-top options anymore) with a fixed configuration, and everything else needs to be a WL order via a dealer run, or go full PS.

Which is too bad, IMHO, but I guess it is part of the reality of reacting to the last few years.

When I first started procuring PRSi, there was a standard upgrade package offered on many models for neck woods, fretboard woods, quilt vs flamed 10-top, and maybe a few other things, like hybrid hardware, etc - it was called Artist Package, and was variably priced depending on what upgrades you picked.

That doesn't exist anymore (hasn't for years), and it now appears PRS has chosen to further simplify their production line, offering only core models (not even 10-top options anymore) with a fixed configuration, and everything else needs to be a WL order via a dealer run, or go full PS.

Which is too bad, IMHO, but I guess it is part of the reality of reacting to the last few years.
God i wish they still had the standard upgrade package available. I never knew they ever offered the standards with optional neck woods just body finishes.
Yes ive heard of the artist package as far as i know it was an upgrade to core but in the same kind of ball park as wood library but without the exotics woods.
Shame I didn't realise it didn't exist anymore tho.
Yes a new Artist package guitar would probably be a lot more than id want to be paying on a regular gigging guitar. However, a good used one with a maple fingerboard could definitely fit the bill.
Agreed I wish id started playing PRS a lot earlier than I have I probably could have had a lot more options for a good chunk less money. Funny that the reason i didn't was i could never find any maple fingerboard guitars, yet the irony is i probably had more chance then than now.

I'll second this. I have a set in my se 30th floyd and they are amazing pickups, some of my favorites. I was surprised how versatile they really are.

Back