When is a “Wood Library” not a Wood Library?

I was under the impression that the Artist Package was no longer an option, and it was either 10 top or PS if you want highly figured tops?

This will help…
I saw this, but the information it contains suggests to me that my 594 would be a WL, while PRS customer service explicitly state that it is not. Which is why I’m confused.

From what I can see available for sale online, any core model with a 10 top, ebony board and flame maple neck is being listed as Wood Library.

Part of it depends on the year it was made. They have named things differently over the years. There was an artist package for a number of years that went through some changes and included different things. It could also be a special dealer run that might not be a wood library.
Mine is a 2021 - so after the AP was discontinued.

Would a dealer special run not be a wood library? I thought that was the point of WL.

I’m genuinely curious, not challenging you.

Would a dealer special run not be a wood library? I thought that was the point of WL.

Not necessarily. My DGT is a special dealer (Wildwood) run. From what I have been able to piece together, they only made 5 of them. I also have a Starla that I ordered in a color that was available but they hadn't actually made any in yet and they made 5 in that color to ensure that they had what they needed to fill my order. One of them was made exactly like mine and the others had slight differences in them. A dealer can order less than 10 guitars of the options available without making it a wood library guitar. It may be worth sending the serial number to PRS and ask if it was a special run or something since it has the wood options that make it seem like a wood library guitar.

Not necessarily. My DGT is a special dealer (Wildwood) run. From what I have been able to piece together, they only made 5 of them. I also have a Starla that I ordered in a color that was available but they hadn't actually made any in yet and they made 5 in that color to ensure that they had what they needed to fill my order. One of them was made exactly like mine and the others had slight differences in them. A dealer can order less than 10 guitars of the options available without making it a wood library guitar. It may be worth sending the serial number to PRS and ask if it was a special run or something since it has the wood options that make it seem like a wood library guitar.
Thanks, thats interesting to know!

Re emailing the serial number; PRS have confirmed it is not WL, but have not given any further details about the upgraded woods. Their response made it sound like it was like any other 10 top.

I swear some dealers get to select some near Private Stock tops on their Wood Library runs.
I agree. There are some fantastic looking WL selections out there. Some dealers seem to have an innate sense of how the whole package will look when it's finished.

I love a beautiful guitar.

In the long run, though, the things that have made my favorite guitars worth the dough are the invisible things: feel, responsiveness, tone and vibe (vague term, but I mean how it all blends).

The WL models I've been lucky enough to own got those invisible things right, and looked the business. That's a testament to both dealers and PRS.

I have an artist package on my 2020 594 Hollowbody but I don't think there is any way of even knowing unless you contact PRS with the serial number.
The Artist Package does have a few options that aren't on most Core models, like alternate woods on the fretboard, more bling on the inlays, certain hardware options, usually a killer top you won't find on a non-AP that isn't marked a '10', and the fancier case. Those are pretty strong clues.

Thing is, WL guitars can also have those attributes. So yeah, it can possibly be confusing if there isn't a hang tag. However, if you have a WL that isn't marked '10', it's a good bet that it's both an Artist Package and WL.

If you feel like pulling the pickups (or maybe you can find out from the sticker with the bar code on the case?), you can use the MODCAT to find out without having to contact PRS.

I had a 2021 Special Semi Hollow that had an Artist Package. Whatever was ordered by the dealer before something was changed or discontinued is what's shipped.

I was under the impression that the Artist Package was no longer an option, and it was either 10 top or PS if you want highly figured tops?
They did stop the AP program but if dealers had placed orders before the cutoff ( the backlog at that time was about 18 months) they would be delivered over a year later

A few months ago a discussion about a used guitar informed it was a designation by PRS and certain participating dealers. On a used PRS, the Wood Library designations would be on the hang tag and the serial number printed the white tag on the case (maybe on a label in the cavity of the bridge pickup?) - seems Wood Library guitars have special serial numbers beginning with WL or WLB and the order number for the specific lot/dealer, and not the standard modcat number.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the year in which the term ‘wood library’ was first used by PRS? It’s a relatively recent thing, right?

Edit: I meant to say the first year it was used as a descriptive label on special order guitars (not their wood supplies).

Does anyone know the year in which the term ‘wood library’ was first used by PRS? It’s a relatively recent thing, right?

Edit: I meant to say the first year it was used as a descriptive label on special order guitars (not their wood supplies).
This BLOG post has a date of August 28, 2015. I believe this was posted shortly after they opened it.

Back