Why is there not a maple fingerboard option for core models?

I'll second this. I have a set in my se 30th floyd and they are amazing pickups, some of my favorites. I was surprised how versatile they really are.
Ok cool, i take it to get a set of mojotone pickups you have to buy a guitar fitted with them in?
As I am having a big of a pickup quandary with my custom 24 at the mo and am toying with swapping them.

Ok cool, i take it to get a set of mojotone pickups you have to buy a guitar fitted with them in?
As I am having a big of a pickup quandary with my custom 24 at the mo and am toying with swapping them.

You can buy them separately.

You can buy them separately.

ah right they're not PRS made so you can buy them separately cool.
Ive just checked the specs and the bridge looks super hot tho! it's like 16 dc which is really hot.

The problem is my custom 24 has 85/15lt+ pickups in and they're nice but when you put some gain into them they don't kick me in the pants like id want them to. They're particularly weak in the bridge pickup department to my hearing anyways.
I'm kinda wanting something in between the two. I'd love to try a set of normal 85/15s to see what the difference is but the prices I've seen on them for sale separately are really high.
A Santana 3 set or dragon 2 set might be good ones to go for (from just looking at the PRS pickup specs page anyways.

Bastages had to come out with the V2 like a year (or less) after I bought the CE24 with v1 :eek:
Always the way right! When it comes to stuff like that if you love what you've got in your guitar already stick with it. Chances are in a few years time everyone will be hunting for and raving about those really cool discontinued V1s right ;)

ah right they're not PRS made so you can buy them separately cool.
Ive just checked the specs and the bridge looks super hot tho! it's like 16 dc which is really hot.

The problem is my custom 24 has 85/15lt+ pickups in and they're nice but when you put some gain into them they don't kick me in the pants like id want them to. They're particularly weak in the bridge pickup department to my hearing anyways.
I'm kinda wanting something in between the two. I'd love to try a set of normal 85/15s to see what the difference is but the prices I've seen on them for sale separately are really high.
A Santana 3 set or dragon 2 set might be good ones to go for (from just looking at the PRS pickup specs page anyways.

I thought the same but don't let the heat scare you away. I almost did and glad I didn't. I prefer them over my 85/15.

I thought the same but don't let the heat scare you away. I almost did and glad I didn't. I prefer them over my 85/15.
Well I'm just thinking if I was going the high output route. I'd go for the Tremonti pickups more than likely, especially as I have an mt-15 at home.
Although DC output isnt the be all and end all for pickup wise.
I've had low output pickups blew me away and high output pickups be really weak and muddy also.
.......so does that mean you've got a spare set of 85/15s?!

Well I'm just thinking if I was going the high output route. I'd go for the Tremonti pickups more than likely, especially as I have an mt-15 at home.
Although DC output isnt the be all and end all for pickup wise.
I've had low output pickups blew me away and high output pickups be really weak and muddy also.
.......so does that mean you've got a spare set of 85/15s?!

I have a Tremonti too. I really like the pickups. The neck is one of my favs and the bridge rips. They are different than the DW but they are in different guitars.

For now the 85/15 are staying, but I don't think they are my longterm solution.

I have a Tremonti too. I really like the pickups. The neck is one of my favs and the bridge rips. They are different than the DW but they are in different guitars.

For now the 85/15 are staying, but I don't think they are my longterm solution.
If I see a good used set of Tremonti pups ill definitely pick them up.
A friend has his signature guitar and it's great for heavy rock/metal stuff.

I do worry they might just be that bit too hot for my custom 24.
I'm always trying to keep my guitars as versatile as possible tonally, but I still want them to give me what I want gain wise.
It's the tight rope of tone we all walk I guess. I just don't want to drop a load of money on some pickups that don't work for me. I mean until the pickups you buy are in your guitar played through your amp you never really know.
But man is it a bummer when you play them and it's not what you wanted/hoped for :S
Ok well, should the 85/15s be looking for a new home id love to hear from you!

I have a love/hate relationship with the 85/15's in my CU24, so it's definitely possible I could move mine this year.
Why love-hate?
I've played a few custom 24s with them in and thought they sounded pretty good.

Hard to describe, really, which I know isn't helpful. Some days they are just right and others, bleh. Techy terms :p
Yeh, i got you.
I've got some guitars and everything always sounds right.
Others they really work well for some things and not others.
Or maybe it's how I think the guitar and pickups sound on that day who knows.
I will say with the 85/15s the neck and bridge pickups can sound like they're from two other pickup sets.
They sort of don't always play together well. At least that's what I could gather from the couple of times I've played them. But i did generally think they were fantastic pickups still.

Thanks for the info, yes the Johnny Hiland is definitely in the ballpark of what I was looking for
I've found an orange one that looks fantastic and 24 frets which is what I'm looking for.
Only concern is the neck seems to be pretty fat and I'm usually a thin neck guy.
The necks are a bit deeper, but not terribly wide. Johnny has very small hands. The neck carve is excellent. As you can tell from my avatar, I finally came around to PRS maple necks after 45 years of rosewood. The Hiland is an overlooked guitar. The neck pickup is single coil until you pull up the tone knob. Then it becomes a humbucker. The bridge doesn’t split, and has great tone. My SAS has a fatter neck, a wide fat. I’d definitely look for a Hiland. By the way, they sold for about 4 large new. Gig with what you like the sound of. They’re all even better players than wall ornaments. The darkhorse here is the SE Custom 24 roasted Maple. A better cut nut, locking tuners, and you can gig it without worrying. And they sound different than the others.

Yeh, i got you.
I've got some guitars and everything always sounds right.
Others they really work well for some things and not others.
Or maybe it's how I think the guitar and pickups sound on that day who knows.
I will say with the 85/15s the neck and bridge pickups can sound like they're from two other pickup sets.
They sort of don't always play together well. At least that's what I could gather from the couple of times I've played them. But i did generally think they were fantastic pickups still.
You spelled it out very much in line with how it is for me. In addition, ear wax "creeps" in to the equation, in its slow but dastardly pace. I just cleaned them, my typing is really loud now! :eek::D

The necks are a bit deeper, but not terribly wide. Johnny has very small hands. The neck carve is excellent. As you can tell from my avatar, I finally came around to PRS maple necks after 45 years of rosewood. The Hiland is an overlooked guitar. The neck pickup is single coil until you pull up the tone knob. Then it becomes a humbucker. The bridge doesn’t split, and has great tone. My SAS has a fatter neck, a wide fat. I’d definitely look for a Hiland. By the way, they sold for about 4 large new. Gig with what you like the sound of. They’re all even better players than wall ornaments. The darkhorse here is the SE Custom 24 roasted Maple. A better cut nut, locking tuners, and you can gig it without worrying. And they sound different than the others.
Thanks for the info there much appreciated. There's a Hiland model up for sale near-ish to me so I'm gonna head down and give it a try this weekend. I think if I bought one id switch the pickups and the pull-push etc but they're definitely stunning guitars (ten tops I think). Wow, 4 large! they've certainly dropped a lot in value since then....not that I'm complaining!
I know it's not necessarily just the damage that puts me off gigging certain guitars it's having them stolen. I've had a few nicked over the years, so I tend to have nice guitars but not ones I couldn't live without, which aren't my current two PRS guitars.
I didn't know about the SE Custom 24 roasted Maple model either. That's another to look into. Jonny Hiland is the current front runner at the mo tho.

You spelled it out very much in line with how it is for me. In addition, ear wax "creeps" in to the equation, in its slow but dastardly pace. I just cleaned them, my typing is really loud now! :eek::D
Well I've no ear wax worries but the severe tinnitus pretty much does the same thing haha

When I first started procuring PRSi, there was a standard upgrade package offered on many models for neck woods, fretboard woods, quilt vs flamed 10-top, and maybe a few other things, like hybrid hardware, etc - it was called Artist Package, and was variably priced depending on what upgrades you picked.

That doesn't exist anymore (hasn't for years), and it now appears PRS has chosen to further simplify their production line, offering only core models (not even 10-top options anymore) with a fixed configuration, and everything else needs to be a WL order via a dealer run, or go full PS.

Which is too bad, IMHO, but I guess it is part of the reality of reacting to the last few years.
PRS does still offer 10-top options. The website didn't show 10-top as an option for a while but it does now. The 2022 product catalog also shows it.

Last edited:
PRS does still over 10-top options. The website didn't show 10-top as an option for a while but it does now. The 2022 product catalog also shows it.
Ah, good to know. I must admit I hadn't checked the website for such things in a while.

Maple is much less forgiving to work with, and is more labour intensive to finish to the very high standards that PRS deliver. So it ‘might’ be a cost overhead thing? Just a guess.

One of my C24s has a maple neck and board (and it’s a very lovely thing too) but in my own experience of building guitars I can say that finishing a maple fretboard to a decent standard is way harder and takes longer than with rosewood or suchlike. For example, darker wood hides imperfections whereas maple just doesn’t. That’s just my experience though.

Back