Why did PRS Guitars disappear from the rock/metal scene?

Discussion in 'Artists & Music' started by Mathias Eriksson, Jul 14, 2019.

1. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

Has anyone formed a new rock/metal band in the past 20 years?
    Can't have any new rock/metal bands playing PRS guitars if there are no new rock/metal bands around.
    (Famous guitar players from 20+ years ago who form a new band don't count either.)

2. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

100%, especially Nickelback.

3. GADonis

GADonis New Member

My 594 into a Mesa Boogie TC-50 is all kinds of metal. I put a slight boost in front of the amp and the high gain channel is a beast.

4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I have NO issues with getting a workable Metal tone from any of my guitars - even the Hollowbody with the same 58/15 LT's in it. I find it amusing that people can't (or at least believe that its not possible) to get a Metal tone from 'low' output pick-ups or that only Active or very high pick-ups are good enough for Metal. how do they think Metal was made before after-market Pick-ups became an option???

andy474x likes this.
  5. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

When it comes to heavy sounds, I care more about the voicing of the pickup than the output level. In other words, 57/08’s and 59/09’s have been working dandy for me. And, honestly, low and mid output pickups just sound so much better for everything not metal. My opinion (and what I think many people disregard) is that modern amps also have a crap ton more gain than what was around before, and even if you still feel you’re not hitting the front end hard enough, there are a billion boost pedals available. I do have a hot dimarzio set in my SECU24, but honestly I often wish I had gone with something more vintage. It’s hard to keep levels consistent with my other guitars, and they don’t sound as good clean to my ears, too shrill and wiry. Not that I play them clean very much... but, you know.

I just don’t think PRS is putting a lot of energy into being present in the metal and hard rock scene, on the guitar side of things. Amps, obviously another story. But with guitars, the Tremonti has been around forever, the DW CE and core Holcomb were limited, and the Floyd CU24 is there but didn’t get a lot of hoopla when it was released... yeah, it’s a Custom 24 with a Floyd, here ya go. Almost like it was for guys that like PRS and have been wanting that for a while, but not something they were looking to go out and grab a new breed of players with. Maybe (probably) there just isn’t that much demand in the high end market for metal guitars.

6. markd21

markd21 New Member

When you see the cost of an ESP labeled ESP, the market is there. Same with USA built Jacksons. It's just that those two brands, along with Caparison and some other smaller, specialized "metal guitar" builders have that corner locked down. The metal dudes that use PRS have used them forever. The obvious names are Jim Matheos, the guys from Opeth, the dude from Porcupine Tree (though more prog than metal these days) the guitarist for Cradle of Filth (not Allender - his replacement uses PRS too...my wife was shocked, lol)….

PRS just doesn't seem to be the "go-to" brand for many metal players.

7. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

Broke Metal Dude: High output pickups, cheap solid state amp.
    Metal Dude With Money: Low output pickups with a high end, high gain tube amp.

Boogie, Micky!, markd21 and 1 other person like this.
  8. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

This guy doesn't seem to have any trouble with metal tones out of a Hollowbody...
    [​IMG]

alantig and bodia like this.
  9. drjenkins

drjenkins I Don't know what to put here...

Exactly, you figure in Mayones, Strandberg, Skervesen, etc. there seems to be plenty of people willing to shell out substantial dough for a "metal" guitar. Also, there's a decent sized segment going for extended range, fanned fret, or a combo of both too. I really really wanted to get a fanned 7 string PRS, but you're looking at 10k plus for that since it has to be Private Stock. Can't blame them at all since it's an insanely small niche, but seeing as out of all the guitars I own only one isn't a PRS I was bummed a little.

10. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Social distancing be like ^

I think you got that backwards. :p

Micky! likes this.
  11. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Duh - it’s a backwards masked message.

12. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Social distancing be like ^

My CD player won't play backwards so these always trip me up.

13. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

Whether or not PRS guitars are 'missing' from hard rock and metal …

They sure are showing up in modern-country acts a lot. ;)

=K

markd21 and bodia like this.
  14. ForeCast Band

ForeCast Band New Member

I wonder which models those guys are playing the most ?

15. markd21

markd21 New Member

It seems like a bit of everything, really.

16. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Put the cd in upside down. I thought everyone knew that.

markd21 likes this.
  17. rpoce24

rpoce24 New Member

It is off the beaten path but Kanami Tono of Band Maid ( J rock) uses the classic CU24 Mesa Boogie combo. She has a purple and green one.

It may fall in the old catagory but Troy Donockley who does mainly pipes, and other weird instruments for Nightwish uses PRS when he plays rhythm parts.

18. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open - Eared

Several years ago, I heard about Band-Maid. Not too shabby! Was not aware that Kanami used a PRS. Must have been more recently...?

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

19. rpoce24

rpoce24 New Member

Yeah, switched for the Second album, and on all live stuff now, must have been 3 ish years ago.

KANAMIのギター

20. Tony M.

Tony M. New Member

That's because PRS doesn't make any huge flat slab guitars with points sticking out all over the place.
    Everybody knows that "metal guitars" look just like late 50's Chrysler products.