Why did PRS Guitars disappear from the rock/metal scene?

Has anyone formed a new rock/metal band in the past 20 years?
Can't have any new rock/metal bands playing PRS guitars if there are no new rock/metal bands around.
(Famous guitar players from 20+ years ago who form a new band don't count either.)

So it's that simple? I can for sure see the angle, even if it's odd from a "nobody's pespective". Sure it would be hard to imagine Fender dangling a fat check infront of you saying you have to play Strats if you accept it, when in reality you can't stand the guitar.

100%, especially Nickelback.

I see PRS guitars being used quite often in Rock & Metal. Orianthi and Chris Robertson may not have 'signature' models for sale anymore but they are still PRS artists and there is of course Mark Tremonti, Zach Myers and Mark Holcombe. Even Myles Kennedy plays a PRS. There is a 'BIG' list of PRS Artists and artists that cover every genre. PRS do make a Custom 24 with a Floyd at both SE and core level.

I don't think any PRS would struggle in any genre and I include the 594 - the most 'vintage' guitar PRS make. It works because it also has a lot of clarity even with gain and the fact that its not 'hot' in the pick-ups doesn't mean that it can't do metal!!

My 594 into a Mesa Boogie TC-50 is all kinds of metal. I put a slight boost in front of the amp and the high gain channel is a beast.

My 594 into a Mesa Boogie TC-50 is all kinds of metal. I put a slight boost in front of the amp and the high gain channel is a beast.

I have NO issues with getting a workable Metal tone from any of my guitars - even the Hollowbody with the same 58/15 LT's in it. I find it amusing that people can't (or at least believe that its not possible) to get a Metal tone from 'low' output pick-ups or that only Active or very high pick-ups are good enough for Metal. how do they think Metal was made before after-market Pick-ups became an option???

I have NO issues with getting a workable Metal tone from any of my guitars - even the Hollowbody with the same 58/15 LT's in it. I find it amusing that people can't (or at least believe that its not possible) to get a Metal tone from 'low' output pick-ups or that only Active or very high pick-ups are good enough for Metal. how do they think Metal was made before after-market Pick-ups became an option???

When it comes to heavy sounds, I care more about the voicing of the pickup than the output level. In other words, 57/08’s and 59/09’s have been working dandy for me. And, honestly, low and mid output pickups just sound so much better for everything not metal. My opinion (and what I think many people disregard) is that modern amps also have a crap ton more gain than what was around before, and even if you still feel you’re not hitting the front end hard enough, there are a billion boost pedals available. I do have a hot dimarzio set in my SECU24, but honestly I often wish I had gone with something more vintage. It’s hard to keep levels consistent with my other guitars, and they don’t sound as good clean to my ears, too shrill and wiry. Not that I play them clean very much... but, you know.

I just don’t think PRS is putting a lot of energy into being present in the metal and hard rock scene, on the guitar side of things. Amps, obviously another story. But with guitars, the Tremonti has been around forever, the DW CE and core Holcomb were limited, and the Floyd CU24 is there but didn’t get a lot of hoopla when it was released... yeah, it’s a Custom 24 with a Floyd, here ya go. Almost like it was for guys that like PRS and have been wanting that for a while, but not something they were looking to go out and grab a new breed of players with. Maybe (probably) there just isn’t that much demand in the high end market for metal guitars.

Maybe (probably) there just isn’t that much demand in the high end market for metal guitars.

When you see the cost of an ESP labeled ESP, the market is there. Same with USA built Jacksons. It's just that those two brands, along with Caparison and some other smaller, specialized "metal guitar" builders have that corner locked down. The metal dudes that use PRS have used them forever. The obvious names are Jim Matheos, the guys from Opeth, the dude from Porcupine Tree (though more prog than metal these days) the guitarist for Cradle of Filth (not Allender - his replacement uses PRS too...my wife was shocked, lol)….

PRS just doesn't seem to be the "go-to" brand for many metal players.

This guy doesn't seem to have any trouble with metal tones out of a Hollowbody...
qPPBCIR.jpg

When you see the cost of an ESP labeled ESP, the market is there. Same with USA built Jacksons. It's just that those two brands, along with Caparison and some other smaller, specialized "metal guitar" builders have that corner locked down. The metal dudes that use PRS have used them forever. The obvious names are Jim Matheos, the guys from Opeth, the dude from Porcupine Tree (though more prog than metal these days) the guitarist for Cradle of Filth (not Allender - his replacement uses PRS too...my wife was shocked, lol)….

PRS just doesn't seem to be the "go-to" brand for many metal players.

Exactly, you figure in Mayones, Strandberg, Skervesen, etc. there seems to be plenty of people willing to shell out substantial dough for a "metal" guitar. Also, there's a decent sized segment going for extended range, fanned fret, or a combo of both too. I really really wanted to get a fanned 7 string PRS, but you're looking at 10k plus for that since it has to be Private Stock. Can't blame them at all since it's an insanely small niche, but seeing as out of all the guitars I own only one isn't a PRS I was bummed a little.

Whether or not PRS guitars are 'missing' from hard rock and metal …

They sure are showing up in modern-country acts a lot. ;)

=K

Has anyone formed a new rock/metal band in the past 20 years?
Can't have any new rock/metal bands playing PRS guitars if there are no new rock/metal bands around.
(Famous guitar players from 20+ years ago who form a new band don't count either.)

It is off the beaten path but Kanami Tono of Band Maid ( J rock) uses the classic CU24 Mesa Boogie combo. She has a purple and green one.

It may fall in the old catagory but Troy Donockley who does mainly pipes, and other weird instruments for Nightwish uses PRS when he plays rhythm parts.

It is off the beaten path but Kanami Tono of Band Maid ( J rock) uses the classic CU24 Mesa Boogie combo. She has a purple and green one.

It may fall in the old catagory but Troy Donockley who does mainly pipes, and other weird instruments for Nightwish uses PRS when he plays rhythm parts.

Several years ago, I heard about Band-Maid. Not too shabby! Was not aware that Kanami used a PRS. Must have been more recently...?

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

.....PRS just doesn't seem to be the "go-to" brand for many metal players.

That's because PRS doesn't make any huge flat slab guitars with points sticking out all over the place.
Everybody knows that "metal guitars" look just like late 50's Chrysler products.

Back