Virtuosos?

Interesting replies! Yep Jason Kui's a friend of mine, dude's killer.

I do have to say though, it does seem that there aren't many mentions in the metal/hard rock/shred category.
Didn't all the nu-metal kids and rockers like sum41 use PRS back in the late 90s early 2000?

Al D is probably the only PRS player who qualifies for virtuoso status. The term gets tossed around a little too leisurely. Virtuoso is a true master of his instrument. Santana and Tremonti are good at what they do, but they aren't a Al D, Petrucci, Vai, Malmsteen, Herman Li, Guthrie Goven, etc. The best of the best.

Al D is probably the only PRS player who qualifies for virtuoso status. The term gets tossed around a little too leisurely. Virtuoso is a true master of his instrument. Santana and Tremonti are good at what they do, but they aren't a Al D, Petrucci, Vai, Malmsteen, Herman Li, Guthrie Goven, etc. The best of the best.

Who decides that, Drew? Brent Mason doesn't meet the criteria?

And, I'm not questioning from a "fan's" perspective.

Who decides that, Drew? Brent Mason doesn't meet the criteria?

And, I'm not questioning from a "fan's" perspective.

Whoa.. just stating opinions here.

That being said, Brent Mason cannot do what those guys can. He's a great player but not a top 1% player and I guess that is what I personally define as virtuoso. Those guys I listed wasn't me being all fan boi either. I actually somewhat detest Herman Li. But, the guy is god like on the guitar. I also can only take Guthrie in small doses too. It's not just technical ability, but the guys I listed have mastery of theory too that goes beyond the majority of players.

Whoa.. just stating opinions here.

That being said, Brent Mason cannot do what those guys can. He's a great player but not a top 1% player and I guess that is what I personally define as virtuoso. Those guys I listed wasn't me being all fan boi either. I actually somewhat detest Herman Li. But, the guy is god like on the guitar. I also can only take Guthrie in small doses too. It's not just technical ability, but the guys I listed have mastery of theory too that goes beyond the majority of players.

I doubt that those guys can do what Brent does either. It’s a different genre. But you don’t get to being the top dog in Nashville studios without being unbelievably good. And again, who defines top 1%?

And again, who defines top 1%?

The way I think about it is this. If you can blurt out a name and you get no counter argument, then the guy belongs. I don't think ANYONE would say that Steve Vai isn't a virtuoso. But, Brent Mason? You'd probably get some push back.

Heck, I don't even consider EVH a virtuoso, and he is probably the single most influential guitarist that ever set foot on Earth. But, technically, he was a haphazard player who just made stuff up and it just seemed to work out for the songs. He was more an innovator than a true master of guitar.

The way I think about it is this. If you can blurt out a name and you get no counter argument, then the guy belongs. I don't think ANYONE would say that Steve Vai isn't a virtuoso. But, Brent Mason? You'd probably get some push back.

Heck, I don't even consider EVH a virtuoso, and he is probably the single most influential guitarist that ever set foot on Earth. But, technically, he was a haphazard player who just made stuff up and it just seemed to work out for the songs. He was more an innovator than a true master of guitar.

I’m curious. Can you name a single country or blue grass player who fits?

Back