Vela Coil Split - I am impressed!

Longneck Tenon

Never had much use for coil splits before, but the coil tap on the humbucker of the Vela has made me a believer. Perfect rhythm sound from the bridge or middle setting, or I throw a little compression on top of it for riffs and leads. No appreciable loss of volume either. I am impressed.

Any other opinions on coil tapping in general or specific uses?

I went and gave the coil taps on my SE 594 another chance after the success of the Vela. Slitting the bridge pickup in the middle position sounded lovely. The neck position split was ver nice as well.

I went and gave the coil taps on my SE 594 another chance after the success of the Vela. Slitting the bridge pickup in the middle position sounded lovely. The neck position split was ver nice as well.
At first I wasn’t impressed with the coil split. Then I quickly thought, give it a touch of boost. There was no doubt I was going to use that a lot after that.

At first I wasn’t impressed with the coil split. Then I quickly thought, give it a touch of boost. There was no doubt I was going to use that a lot after that.
Right on, the way I do that is turn on my compressor as a boost. Wakes it right up.

I have never been one for split coils either. However, the ones in my 594 are very usable as well as the ones in my DGT. That led me to putting the resistors in my custom 22. It transformed it. Those splits are even better than my DGT. I have to go out of town for a week for work but when I get back, my SAS is probably going to get the resistors in it. It will be a bit more work due to how they wired those back in the day but it will be worth it.

my SAS is probably going to get the resistors in it. It will be a bit more work due to how they wired those back in the day but it will be worth it.

The SAS is without resistors. If you do it I'd be interested to hear your results. I finally landed on a 5708 bridge and 5815LT neck combo in my SAS. I thought about adding resistors, but didn't because it sounds so good as is.. But, the tweakers itch is real, and I still wonder what if?

I have never been one for split coils either. However, the ones in my 594 are very usable as well as the ones in my DGT. That led me to putting the resistors in my custom 22. It transformed it. Those splits are even better than my DGT. I have to go out of town for a week for work but when I get back, my SAS is probably going to get the resistors in it. It will be a bit more work due to how they wired those back in the day but it will be worth it.
I'll never split humbuckers again without using resistors to leave just enough of the coil that's normally switched completely off, still partially on in the circuit.

Much more usable tone.

Back