Used core guitars

Bought it. Now I wait. I considered a couple others but none were as pretty and/or didn't have pickups that I was sure I'd like. Someone else had it in their Reverb cart and the seller wasn't responding so I went for it. It was a very reasonable price for what it was actually, and what the heck. Life is short.
Good choice.

Now, pictures or it is a hello kitty. Sellers/shop pictures don't count.

Just watch a video comparison of a Core 594 and an S2 594. The difference in tone was remarkable! The Core was much clearer and more defined, and then there's that gorgeous top and other refinements etc., which is why I decided I wanted the Core. That being said, my little SE Soapbar II with Lollar mini humbuckers in it sounds awful good! It'll be interesting!

Opinions are like a$$holes so I'll put my money where my mouth is. I have a tasty selection of guitars that span the PRS spectrum. But the guitar getting played most, in this house, is an SE.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. SE haters can suck it.
Well, I am with you there.. I have $5k PRS, $4k & $3k LP's, $3k Gretsch, 4 USA Strats and the #1 played guitar? ...a $400 G&L Asat Classic Tribute with an Olympic White body swap (from Vintage Natural) ... but am i selling the others?.. lol, probably not.

AMWts8C_FSSITH-pPGbvRjUfnA14MQqWRbvy__hluQxL0xdFHfWwdqyjiqzbPdiiJGCbLgyL9-WNsUbZFImR6HPPv7PFspfP0cpoukMRgo6sSUl8Povanw5s9BdekU33uMQqre22MWBXgP6CEIPbnHrr6BUR=w509-h918-s-no

My PRSi are all core models, and I never even played an SE more than a few minutes in a store until last week. After spending some time on one now, I can say they’re great guitars! There’s an obvious level of refinement in the cores that isn’t there, but what is there is pure value. I bet the S2 experience would be even more so.

From what I’ve seen, a maker can pack maximum bang for the buck into the cheaper package. Like anything from cars to houses, every notch up from that is a lot of cost for each thing upgraded. Worth it? That’s your call. It is to me. But my little collection shows I have a cutoff point too. The core line is the sweet spot of great playing/feeling/looking PRS guitars for me. My purchasing (and, more importantly, playing) history bears out that opinion.

In transparency, my two daily players are not my most expensive guitars either; it’s the “Spy Vs Spy” HB-Ss and the NF3 that get the attention. That said, I have a bunch of other lower cost guitars that haven‘t had any luck trying to pry the PRS cores from the front of the line.

I really should sell off a lot of them. Maybe this year. Again.

Depends on what you are looking for and what you value.

Your SEs are fine. As far as playing enjoyment you may not feel a difference at all after the honeymoon period.

Core fit, finish, look, feel, and refinement are what you would be paying for. If this is something you value then the Core would be better than your SEs.

Depends on what you are looking for and what you value.

Your SEs are fine. As far as playing enjoyment you may not feel a difference at all after the honeymoon period.

Core fit, finish, look, feel, and refinement are what you would be paying for. If this is something you value then the Core would be better than your SEs.
I know it, and decided that it was worth it to me, for the Artist grade top, better pots, switches, tuners and one their best sets of pickups, etc. My SE's with the Seth's and Lollar mini's play and sound great, but I still want that extra bit of quality in every detail for at least this one guitar.

I know it, and decided that it was worth it to me, for the Artist grade top, better pots, switches, tuners and one their best sets of pickups, etc. My SE's with the Seth's and Lollar mini's play and sound great, but I still want that extra bit of quality in every detail for at least this one guitar.
Oh! I didn't even see you bought a Core. Congrats!!

Eagerly awaiting pictures.

I suspect that "one" core guitar you have procured (and is on its way) will be a very nice intro into the world of Core PRSi, and it mght not be the last one you procure...

I have SEs, S2s, Core, and WLs. No PS PRSi (yet?).

They are all great guitars, and each serve their own purpose. Is there an SE equivalent to my WL ME V? No - and there shouldn't be, that's sort of the point of the WL runs.

My current go-to SEs are my (Korean) Zach Myers (second variant, semi-hollow, two pickups) and, um, probably my SVN. But I also like to pull out the 277 semi-hollow baritone.

I also play SE acoustics - much more comfortable banging around on one of them out near the pool vs my Core Angelus, and the P20 Parlor is a nice portable/small and lightweight guitar for casual or tight-on-space gigs.

And my wife's bass collection includes SEs and Cores, including a GG-4, and she likes the Kingfisher and Kestrel just as much as the GG for jamming at home.

So while you will appreciate the Core, I don't think you'll be tossing out your SEs any time soon.

Bummer! After waiting almost two full days I texted the seller about when he would ship the guitar. His response was " Just got back from spring break. Meant to end the listing before I left. Just refunded you. Sorry ". The odd thing is that the same thing has happened twice now. I buy. They receive payment and then renege on the sale and refund. WTF! Also I missed on another guitar that was a second choice, which sold while I was waiting.

This ^^^! I know. I think if you pay the asking price, the money goes out of your account to the sellers account they should be required to follow through! Changing your mind after someone agrees to pay your price shouldn't be an option. What a load of B.S.!! The first time it happened to me the price was too good to be true so I figured the seller had made a mistake listing it. Had only been listed for 4 days. This time, though it had been listed for almost a month. Spoiled my chances on the other guitar too.

Bummer! After waiting almost two full days I texted the seller about when he would ship the guitar. His response was " Just got back from spring break. Meant to end the listing before I left. Just refunded you. Sorry ". The odd thing is that the same thing has happened twice now. I buy. They receive payment and then renege on the sale and refund. WTF! Also I missed on another guitar that was a second choice, which sold while I was waiting.
I'm afraid this type of BS is totally unacceptable nowadays.
I mean nearly EVERYONE does the majority of their business on their phone today.
You are not going to tell me he could not have cancelled it while away or saw your payment and contacted you and refunded you right away.
Sorry just utter balderdash!!

https://reverb.com/item/67383902-prs-mccarty-rosewood-neck-2001-mccarty-sunburst
Third time's a charm I guess. This seller responded almost instantly to a couple of questions I had and accepted my offer of $2100 equally quickly. Not a 10 top, but a nice looker and I really dig the rosewood neck. Wasn't looking for Humbucker sized P-90's either but I like P-90's and after looking at a a couple reviews I decided that I could be pretty happy with them. Also, I actually prefer Moon dots to birds!

https://reverb.com/item/67383902-prs-mccarty-rosewood-neck-2001-mccarty-sunburst
Third time's a charm I guess. This seller responded almost instantly to a couple of questions I had and accepted my offer of $2100 equally quickly. Not a 10 top, but a nice looker and I really dig the rosewood neck. Wasn't looking for Humbucker sized P-90's either but I like P-90's and after looking at a a couple reviews I decided that I could be pretty happy with them. Also, I actually prefer Moon dots to birds!

Beautiful, good luck with the purchase.

Congrats. P90s on a mccarty are always a winner. My McSoapy might be the best guitar I own. And those US prices are killing us over here in Europe ;-)

Wow, congrats! That is quite a bit less than he was asking for it.

Back