Tremonti Custom String Gauge

Tony789

Hell new to the forum. I have a Tremonti Custom with the standard 9-42 set strings on. I have little knowledge of trem equipped guitars and wondered if I can go up to a 9.5 -44 set from d'darrio

The U.S. version ships with 10s, so you shouldn't have any problems. You may need a slight tweak to the trem and truss rod. A little tighten on the trem claw - probably not very much with that small a change. The neck may not change.

The U.S. version ships with 10s, so you shouldn't have any problems. You may need a slight tweak to the trem and truss rod. A little tighten on the trem claw - probably not very much with that small a change. The neck may not change.
Thanks. I forgot to mention its an SE so has 9-42 as standard, does your advice still apply

You will want to have your string slots on the nut widened, so the strings don't bind when you do bends or use the trem.

If you're a big trem user, I would highly recommend locking tuners and a Tusq XL nut. The slots on the TUSQ nut are more of a bowl shape (vs the deep slots on PRS nuts), and it's a lot more forgiving to trem use and string gauge changes. I put one on my SE CU24 and it's the most stable of all my trem equipped guitars, including my S2's with USA PRS nuts.

You will want to have your string slots on the nut widened, so the strings don't bind when you do bends or use the trem.

If you're a big trem user, I would highly recommend locking tuners and a Tusq XL nut. The slots on the TUSQ nut are more of a bowl shape (vs the deep slots on PRS nuts), and it's a lot more forgiving to trem use and string gauge changes. I put one on my SE CU24 and it's the most stable of all my trem equipped guitars, including my S2's with USA PRS nuts.
Thanks, i dont use the trem at all, I am attempting to sell this to buy a stoptail probably a 245 singlecut which i asume will tolerate string gauge change better and also because i want the shorter scale length.

Thanks. I forgot to mention its an SE so has 9-42 as standard, does your advice still apply

It wouldn't hurt to try. You might have to widen the nut slots, but for changes that small you may be able to get away with it. I've gone 9 to 10 without issues.

Thanks, i dont use the trem at all, I am attempting to sell this to buy a stoptail probably a 245 singlecut which i asume will tolerate string gauge change better and also because i want the shorter scale length.
If I were selling the guitar I'd stick with what I know works.

Back