Too much money, must have new guitar!

Good advice, for sure.

I keep a set of Allen wrenches on the back of the headstock for my Edge guitars, and changing strings requires cutters any way you do it, as the strings are longer than required.

Also, it only takes me about an extra minute to change strings with a locking trem. No biggie.

Except I can, and have regularly done, changed a string in the middle of the verse of a song ,with no tools with the PRS trem and winged tuners and been back playing by the chorus.

If you're a "live" musician, stuff like that is a fairly big deal.

Dude \m/.....I had to go find the Facebook page for Group of Death (band) and watch the trailer. Hilarious! See, this is the kind of sh!t we should be talkin' 'bout over lunch and bubbly!

Uh oh... I knew I shouldn't have posted that. :oops:

Full on dive-bomb at the beginning of the song, strings flapping, played the whole set for about the highest profile clients in the world (Widen + Kennedy for ESPN). Only tuned my guitar once the whole night and this (lame faux Spinal Tap-ish poor excuse for an ad agency made-up band) video was comprised of two different run-throughs of the same set two hours apart. There is no other trem that I would trust with my life to do that (which is why I brought it with me to NY to do the shoot).

Other dude was rockin' three or four guitars he brought with 'em (including the Charvel with a Floyd) and tuned up and switched guitars all through the shoot.

Different guitar, goofing off to show a buddy I just installed the MannMade 1980 spec. trem flapping strings again, to open C chord w/dist.

The guitar was as in tune as it was when I pressed record on the iPhone, and these were brand new strings.

I don't mean to single your post out in a malicious way, Boogie. I only did so in an "Et tu Brute?" way 'cause I can't believe y'all are having so many issues with the trem. You guys must be doing something wrong.... either that or it's the winged tuners I rock. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
Come to think of it, the strings in the first video were a brand new set too. I recall changing them earlier in the day and the main reason I didn't tune all night was because I had this horrible $15 that I bought outta the vending machine at the rehearsal studio. I was too cheap to pay cartage on my pedalboard and saved the stipend for some weed I knew I'd have to buy in Central Park. :p
Hell yeah
Rocking the cucumbers and tin foil

If you're a "live" musician, stuff like that is a fairly big deal.

That's exactly what I am. I can change guitars mid-song in an 8-count.

But if that works for you, great! I've always been impressed with people who can string a guitar on the fly. I once had my wireless transmitter spontaneously disassemble itself onto the floor in the second verse of Barracuda. I had it back together and was live in time for the solo :)

Save Money...Buy Private Stock , When you can afford...Then you be truly happy ...You go to TOP of GUITAR MOUNTAIN without going off on side trail...make for strong PATIENCE and you find great spirit in good WOOD...Be fine sound then .

That's exactly what I am. I can change guitars mid-song in an 8-count.

But if that works for you, great! I've always been impressed with people who can string a guitar on the fly. I once had my wireless transmitter spontaneously disassemble itself onto the floor in the second verse of Barracuda. I had it back together and was live in time for the solo :)

I put "live" in quotes 'cause there's a certain type of lazy-a$$ (like me) that won't take two guitars to some shows. :oops:

i agree though that whatever floats someone's boat is what they should ultimately use. It'd just be more convenient for me if everybody else used my exact setup so I wouldn't have to bring anything to shows. :p

I put "live" in quotes 'cause there's a certain type of lazy-a$$ (like me) that won't take two guitars to some shows. :oops:
I've done that just to thumb my nose at the guitar gods. After I got rid of the Grovers on my One and went winged, I haven't had a broken string in 3 years...on any guitar. "Look, I can take one great guitar and be just fine...neener neener neener!". I'm now going to break 3 strings today, aren't I? :rolleyes:

Just got back from practice and no broken strings! Ha! And I beat the ba-jeebers out of both the DGT and the Cu24. Huge bends on 11s. Not as if I didn't try.

After listening to you guys, I decided to buy a couple of pre slotted PRS nuts, professional nut files, big bends and various sandpapers. After closer inspection it seems the nut that SF Guitarworks did for me was terrible in comparison to other PRS nuts i looked at. Im gonna give it a go and keep doing so until i figure out how it needs to be done. Cant expect other people to care for your babies the way you will.

After listening to you guys, I decided to buy a couple of pre slotted PRS nuts, professional nut files, big bends and various sandpapers. After closer inspection it seems the nut that SF Guitarworks did for me was terrible in comparison to other PRS nuts i looked at. Im gonna give it a go and keep doing so until i figure out how it needs to be done. Cant expect other people to care for your babies the way you will.

I had something done there once. It was OK.

However, if you're in SF and you're not going to Gary Brawer for your work - you're missing out. His shop can probably identify the problem and fix it in a jiff. I took my main gigging Jazz V to him for Bartolinis years ago, and it was great. They recommended a preamp and did it all; I can dial in practically any tone on that bass. He's had Satriani, Schon, Metallica as his clients (probly lots of other SF luminaries too...)

I have used him in the past but he has had a nasty little habit of holding on to guitars for longer than expected. At this point i need to learn how to work on nuts by myself, i have had so many poor experiences paying people who call themselves guitar techs to do awful work, this PRS in particular has been to 3 different shops and had 3 poorly filed nuts put in it. Im just about tired of paying these people to dash my hopes time and time again. No other service in this world has come up as poorly time and time again as paying people to work on my guitars has.

I've done that just to thumb my nose at the guitar gods. After I got rid of the Grovers on my One and went winged, I haven't had a broken string in 3 years...on any guitar. "Look, I can take one great guitar and be just fine...neener neener neener!". I'm now going to break 3 strings today, aren't I? :rolleyes:

Sorry man.........I broke an A string saturday night on the ONLY guitar that STILL has wings on it.. they must go......................lol

I have used him in the past but he has had a nasty little habit of holding on to guitars for longer than expected. At this point i need to learn how to work on nuts by myself, i have had so many poor experiences paying people who call themselves guitar techs to do awful work, this PRS in particular has been to 3 different shops and had 3 poorly filed nuts put in it. Im just about tired of paying these people to dash my hopes time and time again. No other service in this world has come up as poorly time and time again as paying people to work on my guitars has.
The gods of guitar have smiled on me. All my mechanical work goes to Philtone Music in Baltimore. He gets it right. After 12 years, we`ve become buds, and play together on Wednesday nights.

Sorry man.........I broke an A string saturday night on the ONLY guitar that STILL has wings on it.. they must go......................lol

You should let me buy them or at least trade you somethin' for 'em this time.

Back