Too much money, must have new guitar!

Ed Sheldon

Not enough for top of the line, thinking about an S2, but have some questions:

Pickups - difference between 85/15 "S" and 85/15?
Tuners - see a lot of people upgrading(?). Are the S2 tuners that bad, or is this just G.A.S.?
Trem - don't ever want another Floyd type. As long as the S2 Trem has no tuning problems, I should be happy. Thoughts?

What don't you like about the Floyd type? The PRS trem is both different and similar in some ways. Non-locking, so you can tune more easily, but still floating so tuning one string affects all, and breaking a string is just as much a disaster.

I have mixed-experience with the PRS trem staying in tune on core models. Mostly not great experiences.

The 85/15 pickups are pretty new overall and the 85/15s pickups have only just hit the market in the last month so it's going to be tough to find someone with experience with both of them.

Are people upgrading S2 tuners? I haven't heard of that. People feel the need to upgrade SE tuners to locking ones sometimes.

I haven't owned a guitar with the S2 trem so no comment there.

I also have had poor experiences with the core trem staying in tune, i love the guitar ro death, but if i use the trem at all it actually starts to tear up the nut pretty quickly. Since i got it im on my 3rd nut and it doesnt matter what i do, it will be a perfect setup and the trem with work great but even a weeks worth of moderate use and the nut gets gashed up, develops burrs and will not stay in tune. Ive only had success with it by not using the trem at all. Im going to block it soon and any PRS with a trem i get in the future will be blocked immediately.

And i am by no means trash talking their trem, a lot of people have no problems with them, im just throwing in my experience with it as i am not one of those people. I absolutely love my custom 24, i just wish it didnt have the trem.

What don't you like about the Floyd type? The PRS trem is both different and similar in some ways. Non-locking, so you can tune more easily, but still floating so tuning one string affects all, and breaking a string is just as much a disaster.

I have mixed-experience with the PRS trem staying in tune on core models. Mostly not great experiences.

Full disclosure - I'm a "just for fun" guitarist (play bass when I'm in a band). I don't use a trem much, but if I do hit it would be nice if it stayed in tune. My experience with trems is my Highway One Strat, which is set up for down only (don't even know if it floats), and stays in tune pretty well, and an Ibanez RG320 with the Edge III - won't stay in tune for 5 minutes even with a pro setup. Don't know how guys like Steve Vai do it (frequent guitar swaps and good roadies?).

I'm a big Ibanez Edge guy. I've had several Edge, Edge Pro, Edge-7 and Lo-Pro Edge guitars. No problems at all keeping them in tune. The Edge III was a downmarket version and not so great based on what I have read. I have a Jem and a J Custom 7 right now that never go out of tune. And I seriously abuse them. What can I say, I learned to play guitar in the '80s...

I also have had poor experiences with the core trem staying in tune, i love the guitar ro death, but if i use the trem at all it actually starts to tear up the nut pretty quickly. Since i got it im on my 3rd nut and it doesnt matter what i do, it will be a perfect setup and the trem with work great but even a weeks worth of moderate use and the nut gets gashed up, develops burrs and will not stay in tune. Ive only had success with it by not using the trem at all. Im going to block it soon and any PRS with a trem i get in the future will be blocked immediately.

I generally put graphite and Nut Sauce in my nut slots, and have not had the erosion you mention. May be worth a try.

I generally put graphite and Nut Sauce in my nut slots, and have not had the erosion you mention. May be worth a try.

Original nut did it. Tusq nut, same thing. Another PRS nut, same thing. Bone nut, same. Tried lube, powdered graphite, no help. One tech though lt was the trem, new trem, same thing. Took it to the best tech shop in SF, no difference. It literally chews the nut up. I should have sent it to PRS in the first place but i didnt know they had the PTC. At this point i cant justify putting anymore money into it.

The PRS trem is far superior to the Floyd -- I, too, am a Floyd hater (I think I have exactly one guitar with a Floyd Rose, and the only reason I still have that one is because it's teal with gold hardware), so I wouldn't hesitate on a PRS trem.

Mr. Chalk, could you please elaborate? I am not a fan of Floyd brand, but I love the Floyd-licensed Edge. I hear a lot of general positive comments about the PRS trem, but I'd love to know what you specifically find about it to be superior. I can't seem to figure the thing out and tend to block them in short order.

It may be the WAY you use them. I tend to do a lot of half-step vibrato, whole-step bends both up and down, and occasional multi-step bends up and down for dive bombs and Dimebag harmonic bends.

The way I differentiate the Floyd brand from the Edge is that the ergonomics of the Edge are more comfortable for my hand and I also have found that I can abuse the heck out of an Edge and in my experience it will stay in tune better than a Floyd. Most Floyd owners tell me I'm wrong about that, and so be it.

My issues with the PRS trem are that I can't generally get them to stay in tune, and they are "soft" to me. By that I mean that I have to move the bar more to get the same change in pitch as an Edge. I also get WAY more pitch range with an Edge than a PRS.

I have an S2 Custom 22. I originally bought it to resell it, but it ain`t going nowhere. All my PRS tremolos are set up to go up a half step, as well as down. I have no trouble with these, once the guitar is broken in. My luthier used to work at the factory. He taught me to coat the nut slots with Vaseline that is put on with a tooth pick. They stay in tune very nicely, thank you. This is a 2015 with the Korean #7 pickups. I have USA #7`s in another PRS. They`re both great for me, once I fine tuned them. I don`t need to change the lockng tuners on any of my USA guitars.As a matter of fact, this the only stock PRS I own. It floateth mine boat.

I liken it to the brakes on your car...everyone uses them differently. Some people are very soft, some are brutal, others in between and the results form their opinion on how well the car stops. If you use the heck out of your trem for big dives, the PRS trem will drive you insane. You need a double-locking version and can get that in the SE Custom 24 Floyd, as well as the core version. There's no doubt that you need to dress the nut to keep the guitar in tune with the stock trem, but that's the same for any other guitar on the market with similar hardware. As far as single locking terms go, I vastly prefer the PRS version over most others but never compare it to the double locking versions. That's comparing apples and turnips.

If you use the heck out of your trem for big dives, the PRS trem will drive you insane.

Full on dive-bomb at the beginning of the song, strings flapping, played the whole set for about the highest profile clients in the world (Widen + Kennedy for ESPN). Only tuned my guitar once the whole night and this (lame faux Spinal Tap-ish poor excuse for an ad agency made-up band) video was comprised of two different run-throughs of the same set two hours apart. There is no other trem that I would trust with my life to do that (which is why I brought it with me to NY to do the shoot).

Other dude was rockin' three or four guitars he brought with 'em (including the Charvel with a Floyd) and tuned up and switched guitars all through the shoot.

Different guitar, goofing off to show a buddy I just installed the MannMade 1980 spec. trem flapping strings again, to open C chord w/dist.

The guitar was as in tune as it was when I pressed record on the iPhone, and these were brand new strings.

I don't mean to single your post out in a malicious way, Boogie. I only did so in an "Et tu Brute?" way 'cause I can't believe y'all are having so many issues with the trem. You guys must be doing something wrong.... either that or it's the winged tuners I rock. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
Come to think of it, the strings in the first video were a brand new set too. I recall changing them earlier in the day and the main reason I didn't tune all night was because I had this horrible $15 that I bought outta the vending machine at the rehearsal studio. I was too cheap to pay cartage on my pedalboard and saved the stipend for some weed I knew I'd have to buy in Central Park. :p

Last edited:
Mr. Chalk, could you please elaborate? I am not a fan of Floyd brand, but I love the Floyd-licensed Edge. I hear a lot of general positive comments about the PRS trem, but I'd love to know what you specifically find about it to be superior. I can't seem to figure the thing out and tend to block them in short order.
Oh, it's mostly just laziness -- they're such a pain to restring. PRS trem-equipped guitars restring just like regular guitars, and they go out of tune far less.

"Et tu Brute?" way 'cause I can't believe y'all are having so many issues with the trem. You guys must be doing something wrong.... either that or it's the winged tuners...
It's all good bro! And yeah, me too. There have been times where my Cu24 was rock solid, then driving me nuts. Probably due to worn trem screws and just needed to do some maintenance, which is the only thing I don't like to fiddle with on my PRSi. The nut has been replaced once in 15 years by PTC, so I know it was done right and without doubt, I'm sporting winged tuners, too. ;) It would be great if I had guys like you and my buddy Ron from Ohio to show me how to cure this issue, because we should all be self sufficient in this area...but alas, not so.

Under nominal conditions, my PRSi with trems are the most stable instruments I've ever experienced. Keeping them that way has been my challenge.

Last edited:
My friend has a McCarty Korina with a trem that you can pull on all day and it wont go out of tune, he has another PRS that the trem works just OK. I believe at this point its just not a universal thing that they function perfectly, some just work better than others.

It's all good bro! And yeah, me too. There have been times where my Cu24 was rock solid, then driving me nuts. Probably due to worn trem screws and just needed to do some maintenance, which is the only thing I don't like to fiddle with on my PRSi. The nut has been replaced once in 15 years by PTC, so I know it was done right and without doubt, I'm sporting winged tuners, too. ;) It would be great if I had guys like you and my buddy Ron from Ohio to show me how to cure this issue, because we should all be self sufficient in this area...but alas, not so.

Under nominal conditions, my PRSi with trems are the most stable instruments I've ever experienced. Keeping them that way has been my challenge.

I need to find the ambition to start a thread detailing all the little things I do to keep the guitar in tune. I've done so over the years in many threads, but never in one place that's easy to find. There seem to be enough guys out there that have issues (and some that either resort to "decking" the trem or giving up all together ) to warrant it.

I almost made another video the other day when reading a TGP thread about this subject.. but then I vacuumed he house or something instead. :oops: If all else fails, Skype me or call me when I'm drunk and I'll talk your ear off (typing is hard).

My friend has a McCarty Korina with a trem that you can pull on all day and it wont go out of tune, he has another PRS that the trem works just OK. I believe at this point its just not a universal thing that they function perfectly, some just work better than others.

There may be some fine-tuning that needs to be done but, all five of my trem PRS work. From SE to Core, with a mixture of different saddles, arms, screws, blocks, and nuts. The only constant thing about my guitars are the old Phase I "winged" tuners, although my KL33 worked well while it still sported the Phase II's.

As long as the strings are stretched properly, there are no "wraps" of string around the tuner posts, and you always tune up to the note (never down), the units should work equally as well.

If problems still persist, then (in a completely unscientific study I've conducted called "life") I can tell you that 99% of the time it's the nut. Even if the PTC set it up, even if it's a Private Stock, and even if it's a self-lubricating-unobtainium-brass-impregnated-Tusq-whatever... If that sh!t ain't completely smooth and free from burrs, a string can get hung up and you'll get p!ssed.

I posted the (potentially embarrassing) videos above to at least show some sort of proof that you can do wide-travel/dive-bomb sh!t with a PRS/MilCom/Mann Made trem bridge. There will be some stuff you might have to keep an eye on, and you might have to break out some tools (sandpaper, maybe a pencil, or some lip balm) but you gotta find out for yourself if it's worth it. For me, I think it is. I'd rather do that once a year or two than have to keep an allen wrench and some wire clippers around just to change a f@ckin' string.

Oh boy, this is getting long. I should've just started that thread I was talkin' about...

So... to the OP: Yeah, tuners and trem won't be any more of a problem than any other type, just different ones.

Good advice, for sure.

I keep a set of Allen wrenches on the back of the headstock for my Edge guitars, and changing strings requires cutters any way you do it, as the strings are longer than required.

Also, it only takes me about an extra minute to change strings with a locking trem. No biggie.

Back