To hear or not to hear.....yep, that’s the question.

At 53 my ears ring 24/7....it sucks

I carry the big package of purple and orange earplugs in my work truck and motorcycle.

11, Since you've switched over to modeling, you've already taken the biggest step. I don't think I'd jibe well with IEM's either, but once you've switched to modeling, you're on the path to lower stage volumes. You just need to make the others in the band do it as well. Second step, (IMHO) get a full shield kit for the drummer. Then everyone else can cut their volume and still hear better. Most importantly, don't wait! What's gone is gone, with hearing, but you can stop it now before it because a much bigger issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
11, Since you've switched over to modeling, you've already taken the biggest step. I don't think I'd jibe well with IEM's either, but once you've switched to modeling, you're on the path to lower stave volumes. You just need to make the others in the band do it as well. Second step, (IMHO) get a full shield kit for the drummer. Then everyone else can cut their volume and still hear better. Most importantly, don't wait! What's gone is gone, with hearing, but you can stop it now before it because a much bigger issue.

The drums are surrounded by plexiglass. They are still the problem. We had rehearsal again tonight. I started out with molded hearing plugs. They lasted about 7 minutes. It’s just no fun hearing live music that sounds lifeless. I’m an addict, and I’m doomed.

Speaking of modeling, I’m using my Headrush board now live. It’s easier to program and set up than my Kemper.

The drums are surrounded by plexiglass. They are still the problem. We had rehearsal again tonight. I started out with molded hearing plugs. They lasted about 7 minutes. It’s just no fun hearing live music that sounds lifeless. I’m an addict, and I’m doomed.

Speaking of modeling, I’m using my Headrush board now live. It’s easier to program and set up than my Kemper.

Then you need to do more than just plexiglass. I'm not going to tell the story again, but I turned down two bands because when I showed up at practice is was so freakin loud I couldn't stand it, and it all started with the drums. Specifically the cymbals. They just HURT. Then the guitar had his stack cranked, because he was right next to the drums, and when I said "I can't even stay in the room with you guys it's so loud" he said "I have to turn it up that loud to even hear myself over the drums!"

Put some insulation on the floor, or even lower on the plexiglass, or put some behind him or SOMETHING. Don't let one instrument ruin your hearing and your band.

Haven't really read much about the Headrush board. Seen lets of threads, just haven't spent much time reading about it.

I am 64 & my ears have rang for years. I suspect it has something to do with playing through 100 watt Marshall Amps in the 70's:D. Now I play with a 15 watt tube amp & have for years. I also have a 45 watt tube amp and it has been gathering a lot of dust for the last 5-10 years. The places that I have played at in public are smallish and there is no need for more than 15 watts of power. I agree with many of the others that commented re: "good drummers can play softly and still sound good" & I am happy to say I know a few of them.

One other comment - I don't think my hearing has gotten any worse in the last 15 years. Not exactly sure why this is the case but maybe it is because I cut way back on my exposure to loud music????

I got fitted for a pair today. I went with the 15db version. We'll see.

Most of the problem is that when you finally become self aware of the damage, it's too late. As I'm typing, I hear ringing and I haven't played actively in a band since 1999. Even at house volume, some frequencies will aggravate my tinnitus. I should have taken precautions decades ago, but how rock and roll is that??..;-)

The video in the EG thread was a fine example of an intelligent drummer, who wasn’t trying to kill his kit or the rest of the band!

Back