There's a Vela on its way!

Mike J.

Yep! My Sweetwater rep called me last night and said they got some Vela's in. Asked if I was still interested and told him heck yeah! My first pick has always been the Antique White model with the Tobacco Sunburst as a second pick. No white ones were in the shipment so I grabbed the Tobacco Sunburst without hesitation. (The more I looked at those the more I liked them). If all goes right it should be here on Friday. It's the semi hollowbody with the gloss finish. Man, if this guitar is everything I'm imagining I'll be over the moon!

Question. My rep told me (and I already knew this) that I'll need to let it acclimate to my house temperature before I take it out of the case. (I'll probably let it set for a full day). But should I leave the carton unopened or should I at least open one of the cartons ends and leave the guitar in it's carton? I want to be real careful with this.

Sweetwater sent me some pictures and I wanted to include some, but stupid me can't seem to figure out how to. Looking for some means of attaching and if its here I'm not seeing it. Sorry, I'm not much of a computer person,

One might be in my future sooner than later. Hope it works out for you. You need a third party hosting - Photobucket- site to post pics here. I don’t use them, so no pics from me either.

Last edited:
Sweet!!! Velas are fantastic, I predict much happiness for you.

As for the wait to open, it depends on how cold it is where you are, how cold it is at Sweetwater, and the difference between the two. I generally leave the box sealed for a couple hours, then open the box. I don't always have the patience to wait the full 24 hours, but will wait anywhere from 5 hours to overnight if it's below freezing.

I learned the hard way, had a beautiful McInturff delivered to me at my office once. It was below zero, and I decided it was a myth and opened it immediately, with coworkers around. We had a moment to admire it in its glory, then literally heard the sharp crack as the finished checked in dozens of places. Never again. Sold that guitar at a loss because it always reminded me of my stupidity in being impatient.

As for the wait to open, it depends on how cold it is where you are, how cold it is at Sweetwater, and the difference between the two. I generally leave the box sealed for a couple hours, then open the box. I don't always have the patience to wait the full 24 hours, but will wait anywhere from 5 hours to overnight if it's below freezing.

I learned the hard way, had a beautiful McInturff delivered to me at my office once. It was below zero, and I decided it was a myth and opened it immediately, with coworkers around. We had a moment to admire it in its glory, then literally heard the sharp crack as the finished checked in dozens of places. Never again. Sold that guitar at a loss because it always reminded me of my stupidity in being impatient.

Thanks for the info! Earlier I saw a video on YouTube of some guy unboxing his Vela. Learned that Sweetwater does a two box method so I'll probably let it warm up in stages. I'll leave the whole thing alone for a good number of hours then remove the second box with the guitar and leave that alone for a while. I'm in Michigan and lately we're feeling that damp kinda cold that seems to go through you. Temp's have been in the mid-30's lately.

Nice! I think you’re going to love that.

Where are you in MI? I’m on the west side, GR area.

Fortunately the weather should be a little more mild for the next few days - your guitar will probably be to you by tomorrow if not today (unless you’re in the UP), my orders often come next day from them. I would at least open the outer box ends when it arrives, unless it’s crazy cold, and then do the ends on the inner box when you remove the outer box.

Honestly, with the weather in the 40’s right now, and SW so close, your guitar probably won’t be that cold in the first place. But no harm in playing it safe, you could be waiting a long time for another if it gets damaged!

Sweetwater sent me some pictures and I wanted to include some, but stupid me can't seem to figure out how to. Looking for some means of attaching and if its here I'm not seeing it. Sorry, I'm not much of a computer person,

You need a third party hosting - Photobucket- site to post pics here. I don’t use them, so not pics from me either.

Congrats on the Vela score! I will be getting one probably next year and mostly as a result of hearing about them at this forum (stupid enabler website)!! As for posting pix, this link has a video tutorial and a pdf instruction sheet. Also included in that thread are links to all other threads I am aware of on the forum regarding posting pix. The long and short is, you don't upload your pictures here (they don't want the responsibility or provide the storage space) so you have to have another location to upload them to, and then post a link to that picture here on the forum. If you need assistance, fee free to contact me via the private messaging system and I will work with you on any issues you have after reviewing that material!!! Looking forward to your stork dropping off the V baby!!!!

Yikes!

Nice! I think you’re going to love that.

Where are you in MI? I’m on the west side, GR area.

Fortunately the weather should be a little more mild for the next few days - your guitar will probably be to you by tomorrow if not today (unless you’re in the UP), my orders often come next day from them. I would at least open the outer box ends when it arrives, unless it’s crazy cold, and then do the ends on the inner box when you remove the outer box.

Honestly, with the weather in the 40’s right now, and SW so close, your guitar probably won’t be that cold in the first place. But no harm in playing it safe, you could be waiting a long time for another if it gets damaged!

Hi Andy. When you said "west side, GR area" do you mean Grand River Ave? If so we may not be to far from one another.

I'm in Oakland county. A few miles west of M5 and north a few miles of Maple Rd.

Oh believe me, depending on how cold the carton is I'm taking me sweet time in opening it all. But as patient of a person as I am, I admit it's gonna be a long wait!

Hi Andy. When you said "west side, GR area" do you mean Grand River Ave? If so we may not be to far from one another.

I'm in Oakland county. A few miles west of M5 and north a few miles of Maple Rd.

Oh believe me, depending on how cold the carton is I'm taking me sweet time in opening it all. But as patient of a person as I am, I admit it's gonna be a long wait!

I assumed he meant Grand Rapids. I no longer live in Michigan but used to live not far from you.

It was a truly painful moment. It had been pristine...and I'm not one to get upset about normal play wear and a ding here or there, but to watch the finish shatter in front of my eyes was soul crushing.
Some people pay big bucks for that aging patina. Not me, but some other people.

Velas rock! I recommend an overdriven Plexi and bashing on the guitar with attitude.

Some people pay big bucks for that aging patina. Not me, but some other people.

Velas rock! I recommend an overdriven Plexi and bashing on the guitar with attitude.

Yeah, not me either. I play my guitars, and they're going to get some wear and tear, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay for someone to beat them up artificially.

I assumed he meant Grand Rapids. I no longer live in Michigan but used to live not far from you.

Du-uh! I didn't even think of Grand Rapids and you're probably right! (I need to get out more!).

If all goes right the guitar will be here later on today. Got a notice from FedEx saying a signature will be required for the delivery to be made on 12/2.

Another Vela player, welcome to the club.

I'm a Vela Satin owner, and love this style of PRS.

I'd open one end of the box, then check the case til the exterior is room temp then let it sit out of the box for a few hours before you open the case. I'm guilty of opening one end and blowing a small space heater in the box from a couple feet away for a gentle encouragement warming. Just left the case in the box for two hour, constantly checking it with a temp gun.

Can't wait to see yours!!

Another Vela player, welcome to the club.

I'm a Vela Satin owner, and love this style of PRS.

I'd open one end of the box, then check the case til the exterior is room temp then let it sit out of the box for a few hours before you open the case. I'm guilty of opening one end and blowing a small space heater in the box from a couple feet away for a gentle encouragement warming. Just left the case in the box for two hour, constantly checking it with a temp gun.

Can't wait to see yours!!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm gonna be careful with this. The good thing is that the sun is out today and it's 48 degrees right now. When it does arrive I am going to open one end of the carton and then leave it alone for quite a while. I'll proceed cautiously from there. Don't want to mess anything up.

Guess what? "Its here!!!" My Vela just arrived about 5 minutes ago. Instructions on the box say to let the box sit for a full 24 hours before opening. That'll be tough but I'm gonna heed their advice.

Per FedEx, the guitar was supposed to arrive yesterday (12/2) by the end of the day. Got a notice from them late yesterday afternoon saying delivery would be delayed until today (12/3). Well, who isn't waiting for things these days?

So I won't open the box until tomorrow at 4:30PM. Once I have the guitar in my hands I'm gonna take a few days to get familiar with it and then I'll get back with all of you to tell you what I think.

As far as waiting, I feel like a dog who's master left a big steak on the table and said "don't even think about it!"

Back