The we don’t need no stinkin’ budget rig

Two Rock Bloomfield Drive and an Archon for amps.

PS Santana Hollowbody with Tosca switching, and 59/09 pickups.
I'll hang onto my Dirty 100, SSH and 509, and give the Ted to Sergio. I'd like to have the HB Spruce Top with the bird f-holes out of the Archive, and Alex's guitar from Shawn's office. And, for good measure, double neck Dragon.

I don’t want to keep it, I just want to noodle around on Steve’s Walnut Santana, just to say I’ve done it. It’s almost like “Holy Grail” thing.

I’d play it through my little Mesa and ring some tones out of it!

A money no object 'dream' rig for me isn't necessarily an easy thing for me to list. I can think of several different guitars that I would want - whether I can include more than 1 guitar or not, I don't know but just picking 1 would cause me to constantly be changing my mind. Maybe with a Private Stock, I could get something that gives me the majority of guitars in one...

If I have to go with just 1, instead of a boat full of Guitars, a Private Stock Version of the PRS Special 22 Semi Hollow with a Piezo and Trem (like the P22/P24) and an extra mini toggle (or a push/push pot) to switch the position 3 on the 5-way blade between having both humbuckers (as the Special 22 currently does) and just the Narrowfield (like the 509 does - just with the middle SC as it doesn't have a Narrowfield). As for the neck, I think I would keep the Pattern Regular even though I do love the Pattern Vintage carve. 22 Frets is more than enough and going for 24 frets would affect the positions of the PU's unless I increase the scale length and 25" is perfect. I would prefer a Solid Rosewood neck though.

A guitar like this would be so versatile that I wouldn't necessarily 'need' other guitars - not that I wouldn't want other guitars of course but in the context of a 'dream' rig of 1 guitar, something so versatile would trump a lot of guitars. This takes my guitars and essentially combines certain features that I wouldn't want to be without on a 'dream' rig.

That mentality would feed into the 'amp' choice and it seems like the best option here would have to be a Kemper or something like this as that has so many different Amps, Cabs, mics all in one. Maybe its not the 'perfect' sound or feel of a specific Valve amp into a specific Cab but what it lacks in that area it more than makes up for it in its versatility. If I want the classic Marshall sound for crunch/over-drive and a Fender for cleans, I can do that easily, as well as have Amps from H&K, Mesa Boogie, Two Rock etc etc as well as all those Cabs and speaker choice.

Pedals is a difficult thing for me to decide which would make my pedal board and if I put my 'dream' pedals on a Pedal board, that pedal board would be a monster with a large footprint. I would like something 'similar' to a Helix but can load in Pedals from companies - for example load in a Strymon Volante and Timeline. That way I can use any Pedal I want, assign the pedals to a stomp switch, build patches with uniquely different settings - which is great if you don't want to bend down and tweak settings back and forth or needing two (or more) of the same pedals. I know you can have some pedals with different settings but some pedals require you to adjust them manually.

Essentially, my entire 'dream' rig is all about versatility and options. Apart from the guitar, everything could theoretically be in just one box - the Pedals, the amps, the cabs etc. If there was a device like the Helix but with the option to add pedals, amps etc to expand the options as new pedals come onto the market, that would be my 'Dream' rig. Of course its great having individual pedals, a variety of amps and cabs etc but my dream rig would be to have ALL of those in one convenient box. It would be easy to switch from one rig to a completely different rig with just one stomp - go from one pedal board arrangement going into a specific Amp and Cab to a completely different set-up just by switching from one patch to another.

Its a dream rig because it isn't limiting me to a certain Amp, Cab and Mic, not limiting me to 8-12 pedals or having a ridiculously large Pedal board that would require some tap dancing skills and all that wiring of power and patch leads. There are a number of pedals that I think I would love but having never used them, I can't say for definite that they would make my 'dream' rig but if they could be loaded into a 'Helix' type box, then that Helix type box is the dream rig because all pedals, good or bad, new or old are accessible and therefore not limiting me to a fixed number or finite number of possibilities - also applies to the amps, cabs etc too.

If something like that existed, I wouldn't necessarily get rid of my Valve Amps or pedals. Its still great to just plug into a proper amp and play. The Dream Rig though would allow me to demo a new Amp, a new Pedal etc with my Guitar(s), A/B them with others I already own, decide whether they are worth keeping or not. If the manufacturers were able to make a 'digital' version and sell these alongside Physical versions, maybe they could give you a 'trial' or Demo version you can add to your All in One box and decide whether you want to buy it in either format. Think of it like a 'Video game' where you can download a 'demo' version and give it a go before you commit to buying. If you like it, you can buy it from the digital store or purchase the physical version and if not, you haven't wasted money on something you aren't going to use.

Basically I’d just add one of these:

KwTvv3V.jpg

And two of these:

e017ega.jpg

Isn't that a good feeling? While I have been having fun, the truth is I have my dream rig too. I am more than satisfied with the gear I have and don't really see the need to change anything up.

Yes! It’s great!

The only drawback is that now I’m obsessing over flooring and additional acoustical treatment instead of guitars and amps.

I figure it’s always gotta be something!

Come on. You know once I got it, you would never get it. Except on loan. I would lend it to you for 6 months.

I think I might have to pick up JD’s 7777 Santana on the way.

Hey, I’m still not convinced I’m not getting all of y’all’s guitars. You guys set a dangerous precedent by giving me the White Westie. Now I think anything could happen. :p

Man, I just peeped that on Instagram. Now you’re coming back from Texas with two guitars!

Back