NGD Rig (Belated)

Monahan

10 years ago our band had a shake up, and needed a bass player. I stepped into the role and enjoyed it so much, I sold all my guitar gear so I could focus on bass.

About 3 months ago while cleaning out the the music room/attic, I picked up my wife's Telecaster and began noodling. The Tele ended up on a stand in the corner of our music room where I would find myself noodling on it more and more often.

Before long I decided to buy myself a good guitar & amp purely for my own enjoyment-- nothing to do with the band. However, being now retired we don't have disposable income for music gear. Already wanting to streamline my collection to just one or two essentials, I sold the remaining bass gear to fund a new guitar rig. First a guitar.

yqraswf.jpg

Wanting to have just one guitar, I reverted to my traditional inclinations and ordered a S2 594. After a few days I decided it wasn't for me; having large, aging hands, the short scale 594 wasn't a good fit. Besides, I always wanted a Custom 24, so the CE fits that bill nicely. Torn between the Amber (above) and Eriza Verde finishes, again my traditional side won. The top on this one reminded me of all the old Les Pauls I loved as a kid (imperfect flame, washed out burst, etc.).

Another couple weeks of researching amps-- and boy have amp choices changed in 10-years! Still on a budget, yet needing something flexible, that sounds good and something I would enjoy playing though, I narrowed it down to three amps: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, Boss Katana, Boss Nextone. Fender was out of my budget, Katana seemed the best bang-for-buck, but in the end our local shop had a floor model Nextone Artist priced to move. That was a fortunate discovery!

l7QQ6sN.jpg

Being a fan of tube amps, the Nextone sounded fantastic! Other advantages include light weight and very little maintenance requirements. Also really enjoy the aesthetics; reminds me of an old Marshall Blues Breaker. As much as I would have loved to buy a Mesa Boogie, the Nextone sounds great on its own, and again-- this is for my own enjoyment. I've had the amp for a few days now, and haven't felt the need to use the foot switch, or connect to the computer! It's a plug-and-play amp that doesn't need much else, though it's nice to have the capability. Once Amazon delivers the USB cable I'll connect to the computer and see what fun can be had there ;)

All told, this perfectly qualifies as my "just enough rig" :D

AND, there's something extra special arriving in the very near future...!

Last edited:
As the owner of an Amber PRS, I'd say you made the right decision on the CE. I'm not a solid state amp kinda guy, but have been researching them a bit lately. Congrats on both!

Great rig!! I moved to SS and modeling a few years back due to maintenence issues with my amps and weight...I have the Katana II and I run pedals through a quilter and DV Mark neo 2x12...very satisfied and I live in a NY apt so volume is an issue...enjoy OP beautiful guitar...

10 years ago our band had a shake up, and needed a bass player. I stepped into the role and enjoyed it so much, I sold all my guitar gear so I could focus on bass.

About 3 months ago while cleaning out the the music room/attic, I picked up my wife's Telecaster and began noodling. The Tele ended up on a stand in the corner of our music room where I would find myself noodling on it more and more often.

Before long I decided to buy myself a good guitar & amp purely for my own enjoyment-- nothing to do with the band. However, being now retired we don't have disposable income for music gear. Already wanting to streamline my collection to just one or two essentials, I sold the remaining bass gear to fund a new guitar rig. First a guitar.

yqraswf.jpg

Wanting to have just one guitar, I reverted to my traditional inclinations and ordered a S2 594. After a few days I decided it wasn't for me; having large, aging hands, the short scale 594 wasn't a good fit. Besides, I always wanted a Custom 24, so the CE fits that bill nicely. Torn between the Amber (above) and Eriza Verde finishes, again my traditional side won. The top on this one reminded me of all the old Les Pauls I loved as a kid (imperfect flame, washed out burst, etc.).

Another couple weeks of researching amps-- and boy have amp choices changed in 10-years! Still on a budget, yet needing something flexible, that sounds good and something I would enjoy playing though, I narrowed it down to three amps: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, Boss Katana, Boss Nextone. Fender was out of my budget, Katana seemed the best bang-for-buck, but in the end our local shop had a floor model Nextone Artist priced to move. That was a fortunate discovery!

l7QQ6sN.jpg

Being a fan of tube amps, the Nextone sounded fantastic! Other advantages include light weight and very little maintenance requirements. Also really enjoy the aesthetics; reminds me of an old Marshall Blues Breaker. As much as I would have loved to buy a Mesa Boogie, the Nextone sounds great on its own, and again-- this is for my own enjoyment. I've had the amp for a few days now, and haven't felt the need to use the foot switch, or connect to the computer! It's a plug-and-play amp that doesn't need much else, though it's nice to have the capability. Once Amazon delivers the USB cable I'll connect to the computer and see what fun can be had there ;)

All told, this perfectly qualifies as my "just enough rig" :D

AND, there's something extra special arriving in the very near future...!
Nice

Thanks all!!

Back when I was playing guitar on a regular basis, I bounced between Fender & Gibson tones as many do, and amassed a good collection of both. In that time, I rarely found a guitar with a bridge pickup that I liked on its own; most sounded really thin, or too bright-- that's when I learned the magic of an EQ pedal ;) However, I find the bridge pickup in the CE very useable on its own.

The neck pickup sounds full, but remains clear-- not dark, or wooly. Still playing with the single-coil tones, but right away the center position is VERY "Strat-like"

From a fit-&-finish perspective, this guitar is among the best I've played-- and I've owned some real beauties. The CE is right there among them. Also important to me is the usefulness of the on-board controls. I like to set my amp to sound real crunchy, then roll back on the guitars volume to clean it up, and the tone knob for flavor; the CE controls work wonderfully.

I realize that most folks here are already hip to the virtues of PRS guitars, so I'll end this here. Let's just say, I'm really enjoying this combination, and expect to for many, many years to come :D

Last edited:
Back