Monahan

This NGD is the culmination of many years, with A LOT of backstory, though I will keep it as brief as possible.

My wife and I 'officially' retired a few years ago. Since then, we've been downsizing, and reevaluating what's important to us; living on a retired budget brings such things more into focus ;)

After deciding to keep only that which is "needed", I sold off most of my bass gear, using the money to buy a new guitar and amp. "One guitar, one amp" is all I really need since I've not played guitar in a band for at least 10-years. Still playing bass, I kept two, and a Fender Rumble amp. My "One Guitar" choice was a new PRS CE24, leaving enough for a Boss Nextone amp. With those two, I can get a lot done, quite happily(!)

A few weeks later we sold my truck ("letting go is hard to do...") as we no longer need two vehicles. Softening the blow of loosing such a trusty old friend, my wife agreed to a special purchase-- my dream guitar-- Custom 24! But that felt a bit redundant having just purchased the CE24. I did look around for one with without the thin neck, but no luck. Also, I really like the CE24 and wanted something that would complement rather than duplicate it. A no-brainer decision then-- DGT it is. I've had my eye on those since first reading about its introduction in Vintage Guitar Magazine way back when.

Found one! Just the right color! A great price! Happy day :D

Then UPS "lost" it in Portland.

Sacpqnk.jpg

Three days after opening an investigation into its whereabouts, it was "found" and delivered-- yesterday!

cKxb1aO.jpg

As a traditional kind of guy I'd normally go for a low key, traditional finish. But this one is special, something completely different. Inspired by my favorite surroundings:

9X6YrPS.jpg

Each morning I get up before sunrise to spend a few hours hiking/walking here, calibrating myself for the day ahead...

fSqtppO.jpg

An Eriza Verde finish was a must, and not easily found on a DGT.

Now my, "Just Enough" is complete. These two guitars will more than cover all my favorite tones, and while being very similar instruments, they are different enough. Concerning the title, "Final NGD", that's part of the agreement with my loving wife ;)

nJkBX1P.jpg

Can't end this without recognizing Keith Williams of 5-Watt-World fame. While I've been downsizing for some time now, I stumbled upon 5WW when researching which guitar to have as my one & only. Many of his videos spoke to exactly to what I was going though, which I was thrilled to find; "Someone else with radical-GAS theories!" Ha! His remaining videos are pretty great too; histories of the "___" guitar/bass. Now there's a guy I'd like to share a few beers and swap stories with ;)

Enough internet for the day.

Time to actually play my new guitars :D

~M

Last edited:
A man after my own heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a PERFECT color!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
(CE's are great, too!!!)

342603952_1247212685890234_5099201967856854125_n.jpg

267891603_10221184798793577_8360903815543713307_n.jpg

That is the most gorgeous PRS I ever did see. I am not kidding. I have seen quite a few but this one is in first place. OMG the colour is spectacular. Lime green or whatever you want to call it is my very own personal power color. Even when I wear this colour(I have plenty of lime green clothes lol) the colour absolutely empowers me.

The nicest PRS ever! I could sit and look at this for a long time and not even play it. Lol

Congratulations on owning the nicest PRS I have ever seen. I though my blue was gorgeous but now it’s very mundane compared to this.

Last edited:
That is the most gorgeous PRS I ever did see. I am not kidding. I have seen quite a few but this one is in first place. OMG the colour is spectacular. Lime green or whatever you want to call it is my very own personal power color. Even when I wear this colour(I have plenty of lime green clothes lol) the colour absolutely empowers me.

The nicest PRS ever! I could sit and look at this for a long time and not even play it. Lol

Congratulations on owning the nicest PRS I have ever seen. I though my blue was gorgeous but now it’s very mundane compared to this.
The neck is matching...
341674022_1273112156895461_6724884368967051742_n.jpg

Congrats on the very nice new guitar!

I get that downsizing thing. I am still about 10 years away from retirement age and I am already feeling it. I keep thinking of selling a bunch of gear off. If the government hadn't lowered the 1099k threshold I would probably have already sold some off. I hate the idea of losing money on guitars I think are great but I honestly have way more than I need or play regularly. I am hoping that when I get more free time I don't end up playing in a band where I wish I had something back that I sold once I get to the point of moving some of them. I have definitely been getting the thoughts of living with less though.

Not ever retiring so I will never have to sell anything off! Lol

I am not a gear junkie or guitar for that matter. I have 4 beautiful guitars. I didn’t buy a guitar just to buy a guitar I went for quality not quantity. I have no need of anything except for my bucket list amp. That’s it.

Last edited:
Very happy for you - admirable to be able to make the decisions on what to get rid of, and finally getting your dream guitar. Enjoy the hell out of it!

Back