My S2 standard 22 is getting dinged up gigging ughh

Russ73

I have a bunch of S2s which is at the top of my budget...been gigging with a standard 22...successfully btw....and it's taken a few dings and it pissing me off!! Lol I guess it's the nature of live music! I hate seeing a guitar I cherished in my music room taking a beating I guess...

I have been able to gig a bunch of my core PRS guitars and keep them looking mint and ding free. How you ask? I make them the last thing that goes on the stage and the first thing that comes off. I have had guitars get dinged up in the past by other people in the band because someone was pulling cables and letting the metal end just flip all over the place or knocking a mic stand over into my guitar. I decided that was the end of that a long time ago after a few incidents. I stop anyone from tearing anything down until my guitars are wiped down and in the cases. Then they can tear down. Since I am typically the guy providing the PA it helps to make sure they don't get damaged. I am a great bandmate until you try to start tearing stuff down before my guitars are cased up. :)

My satin vela has been surprisingly resistant to dings

my s2 594 chips if you look at it funny lol. Mildly miffed by the first two dings but Im cool with it now
Yep- satin finish guitars may wear more quickly with rubbing, but the thin finish typically doesn’t chip.

IMO, expecting a guitar to remain pristine if you’re gigging with it is unreasonable.

It’s meant to be played, preferably live, and so what if it gets the odd ding? My 2004 CU 22 Artist Pack (now with 57/08s) is my main gigging guitar. 30 a year for the last few years, It’s faded, has the odd knock, the gold is wearing off the bridge, and the lacquer coming off the side of the fret board. I use the gig bag from my SE to transport it as well! But I’ll never sell it and it’s too good to stay in its case. I do look after it but it plays so nicely I just can’t leave it at home!
My HB2 SE Piezo comes along as well. What a brilliant piece of kit that is.

I bought my used '20 S2 Standard at a discount because the previous owner already dinged it up, and even "painted" over a few dings. :rolleyes:

But I'm calling it "mojo" to make myself feel better and I'm guessing I will probably ding it up more. I'm just enjoying playing it!

They seem to dent pretty easily I've noticed...but thx for all the supportive stories fellas!

I don't own a core, but if I did, it would gig with me. Matter of fact, I don't think I'd even be interested in buying a guitar if I didn't plan to take it out in public.

I played my "new" S2 with my full band this past Saturday for the first time. No dings so far. :cool:

Ironically, I got my SE Santana from a bandmate who accidentally knocked my Les Paul Studio Plus off the stand at a gig and the headstock snapped. I didn't blame it on him, but he felt bad and insisted I take his SE.

Some of my favorite S2 guitars were the satin, and they ding easy. I say bring on the satin without wood filler! The more road worn, the more better-er!!!

I have a couple S2’s that are not satin, and they do chip if you look at them funny. The finish is extremely brittle. Also one has started delaminating at the fretboard. The body does not dent, but the coating chips. Supposedly the thickness or lack of, contributes to the better sound quality, but durability is not in the equation. But I still own them, because of how they play and sound. I am sure I will refinish them one day. Surprising, the satin model I have is chip free.

attachment.php

Back