How unusual is my black top Custom 22 w/ McCarty-style electronics?

jaimoe

Hi folks, newbie here!

I have a Custom 22 that I bought new back in 2001. It's got a maple cap, but an opaque black top (and back and sides). The sales receipt sales "custom 22" but if I remember correctly the hang tag said "standard 22". It also has McCarty-style electronics (three-way toggle).

Was this common? I haven't seen this combination of black, maple, and three-way toggle very often online. I've always been curious about whether this is an unusual guitar, or not.

Thanks!
Jaimoe

BlacksGreys.JPG
I had one.

BlacksGreys.JPG
I had one.
If it's got the scraped binding it's a Custom, not a Standard. Standards in the PRS world have always been all-mahogany bodied. Looks like the maple top is showing up nicely on the edges.

Unusual? Hard to say. PRS doesn't release sales figures or break them down model by model. But most PRS players seem to go with transparent stains on the tops, so it's probably more unusual to see a black one. Yours looks great.

Laszlo, I can't upload pics yet (probably haven't hit the min post count) but mine has the same binding as Mike's (scraped binding? natural edge?) and a stopbar tailpiece + moon inlays.

Thanks both!

If you bought it new in 2001 and it was a Custom or Standard it should have had a rotary. And locking tuners, not vintage Kluson style. Is the body thicker than your other one?

I do believe that for a time, in the late 90’s at least, you could order a Standard in black with a maple top and binding. Only in black and maybe one other solid color (gold?). I sold PRS back then and I do seem to remember reading that in the PRS catalog and wondering why it wouldn’t just be a Custom if it had a maple top. ‍

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I believe both black and gold standards had maple tops and the scraped binding. All other standards did not have the maple top. I don't think they were rare, but also not overly popular.

McCarty style electronics seem rarer on a Custom/Standard back then.

Tuning keys are Phase III shape (buttons) and look to be ebony. They're non-locking tuners. I just got a Mira 245 and it has locking tuners, and I love them so much I'm contemplating changing the tuners on my Custom/Standard to locking ones!

I don't think the body is any thicker than a normal PRS, but I only have my Mira to compare it to and I think that one's slimmer than normal.

Other than the tuners, my guitar looks just like the PRS this guy is playing, in fact:

So it sounds like I have a somewhat unusual combo of features, but nothing too bizarre. It's a great guitar with a killer tone and (to my eyes) a pretty classic look. Works for me!

Thanks everyone for the input.

Tuning keys are Phase III shape (buttons) and look to be ebony. They're non-locking tuners. I just got a Mira 245 and it has locking tuners, and I love them so much I'm contemplating changing the tuners on my Custom/Standard to locking ones!

I don't think the body is any thicker than a normal PRS, but I only have my Mira to compare it to and I think that one's slimmer than normal.

Other than the tuners, my guitar looks just like the PRS this guy is playing, in fact:

So it sounds like I have a somewhat unusual combo of features, but nothing too bizarre. It's a great guitar with a killer tone and (to my eyes) a pretty classic look. Works for me!

Thanks everyone for the input.
This is a mccarty in the vid if I am correct. However I am puzzled by the non-locking tuner, combined with standars pegs?. Usually non-locking points towards a mccarty.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe someone custom-ordered this combo of features on a Standard 22 and then decided against it and the store I bought it from (Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA) decided to just put it on the rack for some lucky 20 year old (me) to spend too much of his summer job money on!

The PRS book has a listing for a Standard 22 Maple Top starting in 1998. One of the options was McCarty electronics, volume, tone , and 3 way toggle. The book also lists a Standard 24 Maple Top with the same options. Chrome plated locking tuners were listed as original equipment on these guitars.

The PRS book has a listing for a Standard 22 Maple Top starting in 1998. One of the options was McCarty electronics, volume, tone , and 3 way toggle. The book also lists a Standard 24 Maple Top with the same options. Chrome plated locking tuners were listed as original equipment on these guitars.
There we go, mystery solved. I forgot that McCarty electronics were an option back then.

Back