The Real Holy Grail PRS

What’s the story on this one, Paul?

I scored an old CE for dirt cheap that was rough, don’t remember the year but it was a Classic Electric so fairly early. Was going to fix it up but my skills are super limited so I got the idea to hot rod it instead of hoping for a shiny makeover.

The hardest part was removing the finish which burned through a can of stripper and a pile of sandpaper sheets and foam blocks. I cut and glued a wood block in the neck pup hole, and filled in the surface and the knob holes in with wood putty.

I wanted it to be better and actually threw it in the closet for a long while in frustration at my inability to make it ‘better’ finish wise. Finally I gave in and made it a player. Looks killer from more than a few feet away if you don’t get right up on it.

All parts are original (Dragon 1, Mann one piece trem, volume pot, output Jack) with the exception of the new nut, strap buttons, rattle can paint, and the headstock sticker I got on eBay. Plays okay, needs to go in for a real setup, but sounds really good.

You’ve all heard Mr. Clean strut his stuff with virtually every PRS pickup known. The DGTs that remain in it complete the magic equation. When CRGTR said, “there’s something special about this one” I knew he wasn’t embellishing. After 6+ years, I can confirm he’s right.

rig3-2013.jpg

It’s a pleasure just to gaze upon that picture.

Hi all, just reaching out for your opinion on holy grail PRS...
I have an opportunity to trade a couple of high end guitars ( one unplayed Gibson R8 true historic and one mint PRS Me 1 ) for a 1985 PRS in also mint shape, serial number around 5 0300. ( Moons, no birds, solid mahogany top) . Thoughts on this trade? Good deal or no?

Thanks.

I have an opportunity to trade a couple of high end guitars ( one unplayed Gibson R8 true historic and one mint PRS Me 1 ) for a 1985 PRS in also mint shape, serial number around 5 0300. ( Moons, no birds, solid mahogany top) . Thoughts on this trade? Good deal or no?

Thanks.

That is really down to you but if I was in your position, I wouldn't make that trade.

Trading in two guitars, both great, for a year 1 PRS Standard is not something I would do. It my well be an asset, something that is likely to rise in value just because of its age but as with everything, it depends on how collectable it may be if/when you come to sell and how much someone would be willing to pay but I would expect the Maple top/Bird inlay 85 PRS guitars to be more collectable.

As a musician though, I would rather keep the two guitars you have.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours and yours alone.

Thanks for your opinion. It would be just as a collector piece, but I think you may be right about the solid body and lack of birds. If it had the top and birds, may be more enticing of a deal. I saw one exactly like the one being offered at Righteous Guitars (on line video comparing a 1985 to a 2018 custom 24) They were asking $17 K US at the time for the 1985.

Thanks for your opinion. It would be just as a collector piece, but I think you may be right about the solid body and lack of birds. If it had the top and birds, may be more enticing of a deal. I saw one exactly like the one being offered at Righteous Guitars (on line video comparing a 1985 to a 2018 custom 24) They were asking $17 K US at the time for the 1985.

Little high. Lot high really.
if it was one of the original 20 at NAMM maybe.

Thanks.

No way I'd make that trade. There is one on Reverb right now for $18k, but there were two previous, in good shape, that were listed around $6k. If it's just for collecting, your call. Personally, for playing, I'd rather have the ME 1.

That is really down to you but if I was in your position, I wouldn't make that trade.

Trading in two guitars, both great, for a year 1 PRS Standard is not something I would do. It my well be an asset, something that is likely to rise in value just because of its age but as with everything, it depends on how collectable it may be if/when you come to sell and how much someone would be willing to pay but I would expect the Maple top/Bird inlay 85 PRS guitars to be more collectable.

As a musician though, I would rather keep the two guitars you have.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours and yours alone.

+1

A guitar is worth what people will pay, and that’s cool if you’re collecting and trading, but...as a guitar player’s guitar, the ME would appeal to me a lot more.

Back