Modern Eagle V Pickups !

when Paul went from the Sig LTD ( original 408 ) to the Pauls Guitar the narrow 408 pick was made to cut thru a crowded mix better.
and my Brushstroke 24 did that just fine but in the end I liked my 408 better.
If you have an amp that can do more of the heavy lifting or a nice Rat style pedal and or tuned down I bet it will sound huge , I still want to try one

If OP plays all his guitars through his favorite amp and is fine with all of them but buys one and doesn't particularly like the sound of these particular pickups, most likely the pickups are the issue and I'd just recommend routing and swapping them out. Easy peasey. If you don't want to route the guitar, I'm not sure about the options you'd be left with.. guessing those pickups are similar to P90 size?

I didn't care for the Santana "S" Pickups that came stock in the PRS Santana SE (tried them with multiple amps with multiple setups: pedalboards, etc) so I swapped them out to the super limited Frampton Comes Alive Pickups by SeymourDuncan. Some told me that I should have spent more time with the Santana S pickups but thing is that I'm a pickups guy and I play with high quality amps and pedals so....

Anyway, only now is the guitar is amazing regardless of the amp and room. The Santana SE now plays and sounds like a dream, I'd put it's tone against any Core model any day. In fact, the Santana SE becoming one of my favorite guitars and that's probably odd since the Santana SE is one of the more affordable guitars I have in the collection. It's amazing how a simple swap and some set-up work with some fret-refinement can change everything.

Sounds like OP is talking about Peter Greene pickups but accidentally went for a guitar that had an actual single coil pickup to get that quack?

@Matthew Seed Was the sound in this video what you were looking for? This is me among my Greenie Eclipser. It has the coil split and secondary voices as demo'd in the video as well.

Last edited:
Can't do that with MEV, 408, or Paul's. The pickups aren't standard humbucker size.
I fell asleep while editing my comment :p

Honestly, he could just route the guitar, put in some greenie pickups and put a dummy single coil and replace the switch with a 3 way with with coil split but then again, that may be way too much work for what it's worth, OP may be better off just getting a more affordable Greenie clone or something of the like. I may be wrong, sounds like he wanted a Peter Green sound more than anything.

Last edited:
Taste is a funny thing. I immediately bonded with the HB tones in my MEV for precisely the traits that left you cold. To me they sound almost like FilterTrons or Wide Range Humbuckers - like PAFs with more clarity and not as “in your face”. They’re perfect for what I do, but I can see why you’d be disappointed if you were hoping for a LP sound. I expected to use the MEV as a Strat essentially, but I find myself living in the HB positions most often.
I completely agree with this. Just got a '23 MEV and the neck Humbucker sounds like a noiseless P90 to me - or a Wide Range HB. Incredible clarity and snarl when pushed. I'm learning the insturment still - it's great.

I got word from PRS support to say that 2023 and 2024 MEV pickups are the same. Even though 2023 was called TCI and 2024 is called MEV.
They just changed the naming convention for this year!

I got word from PRS support to say that 2023 and 2024 MEV pickups are the same. Even though 2023 was called TCI and 2024 is called MEV.
They just changed the naming convention for this year!
What’s the best contact info to communicate with PRS? Thanks.

If you have an amp that can do more of the heavy lifting or a nice Rat style pedal and or tuned down I bet it will sound huge , I still want to try one
This here: the amp and pedals along with knob tweaking can really help with sounds on any axe, I believe. As we know amps and pedals are instruments as well!

Back