The Real Holy Grail PRS

Holy Grail? New to my collection is a mint, all original 1985 pre standard. As a fan of the GLP Juniors of 1959 and 1960, I was drawn to the solid, rich cherry red mahogany body and moons. The neck is as they all were, one offs and this one feels perfect. The sound of the pickups is unreal. Paul got it right in 1985.

Last edited:
This was MY Holy Grail.

D3JfnVe.jpg

I still have the 85, but I like this one a lot more. I’ve said it many times online, but I think the Modern Eagle is Paul’s crowning achievement.

HWmuJBA.jpg

To me, the 'Holy Grail' PRS is more about the myriad variants of the McCarty model with a Rosewood neck - and not a single model. I think this point is pretty-well illustrated by all the guitars based around that winning recipe.

Rosewood Limited, BRW McCarty, BLE McCarty with IRW neck, Dragon 2000, ME 1, ME 2, ME 3, ME Quatro, ME Limited, and special run guitars like the Paul's Guitar with Rosewood neck (which is my favorite due to the narrow 408's). Then you get into the McCarty-based Pernambuco guitars like the Paul's 28, Violin McCarty, the limited run of perny-neck DGT's, and so on.

To me, the 'Holy Grail' PRS is more about the myriad variants of the McCarty model with a Rosewood neck - and not a single model. I think this point is pretty-well illustrated by all the guitars based around that winning recipe.

Rosewood Limited, BRW McCarty, BLE McCarty with IRW neck, Dragon 2000, ME 1, ME 2, ME 3, ME Quatro, ME Limited, and special run guitars like the Paul's Guitar with Rosewood neck (which is my favorite due to the narrow 408's). Then you get into the McCarty-based Pernambuco guitars like the Paul's 28, Violin McCarty, the limited run of perny-neck DGT's, and so on.

interesting point. I agree, the McCarty plataform with rosewood necks is the Holy Grail. But I did played 2 or 3 Modern Eagle 1 double cut that weren't special at all. But all the ME1 SCT that I played were amazing. Used to have one with the \m/ pick ups, and that one was really special.

I should go find an ME to play somewhere. It's been at least a decade since I've even played a rosewood neck.
You make a good point. It was the experience of playing so many of the variants that helped me conclude that I am a mahogany neck person with PRS (minor exception, like the CE). But it has been a month of Sundays since I revisited that training. Now, feel? Few alternatives surpass that of a rosewood neck (the satin sprayed, non-filled grain of my RL Vela ‘hog neck is up there).

Just wondering why you think the rosewood neck is a winning recipe? You don't see many these days from any manufacturer. I had one and it didn't last long. Too smooth. No bite whatsoever. All these things I heard about the legendary feel were a huge letdown for me as the large pores actually made it far worse feeling than any satin finished or oiled maple neck I've played. The whole "crackwood" mystique never came to fruition...at least with me.

I think crackwood is pretty similar to the whole “blondes, brunettes, or redheads” debate. None of them are truly better than the other. It all comes down to personal preference. In my case, I’m a guy who prefers the redheads, or the 2%. I doubt ANYONE could play my ME1 with Dragon 1s through my Plexi and say it doesn’t have bite.

Just wondering why you think the rosewood neck is a winning recipe?

I listed at least 10 examples why *I think* a McCarty with a Rosewood neck is the winning formula.

You don't see many these days from any manufacturer.

CITES is a pain in the ass.

I had one and it didn't last long. Too smooth. No bite whatsoever. All these things I heard about the legendary feel were a huge letdown for me as the large pores actually made it far worse feeling than any satin finished or oiled maple neck I've played. The whole "crackwood" mystique never came to fruition...at least with me.

Thin Mints are the best selling of all the Girl Scout cookies. I can't stand 'em.

If I may interject, I don’t think it’s just the McCarty derivatives. Those Brazilian-necked Singlecuts were pretty spectacular as well...as were the Indian Rosewood SCTs. Perhaps the guitars aren’t the Holy Grail of PRS at all? Perhaps it’s Paul’s drive to keep pushing the boundaries? Perhaps it’s his willingness to try new things? I’d certainly never heard of using an all-rosewood neck until I saw the first one at Buddy Rogers Music in Cincinnati. It blew my mind! Perhaps it’s not the Grail we’re after at all? I think it’s all about Paul’s Crusade in search of the Holy Grail. I believe if you ask him, he won’t think he’s there yet.

Last edited:
I listed at least 10 examples why *I think* a McCarty with a Rosewood neck is the winning formula.

CITES is a pain in the ass.

Thin Mints are the best selling of all the Girl Scout cookies. I can't stand 'em.

Rosewood necked guitars have always been relatively rare, even before cites restrictions. I think I am going to raise a fair question here. Is the fact that you are playing something rare and/or different playing a psychological mind game with you? You want it to be awesome so therefore it is...in your mind?

Rosewood is more expensive than Maple and Mahogany - especially as a neck blank. How many Rosewood Fretboards with less wastage can be made from a neck blank? Also get a LOT of Rosewood Headstock veneers and TRC's too as a fretboard is a lot shorter...

Cost is a big reason that you don't see many solid Rosewood necks - more so than CITES.

Rosewood necked guitars have always been relatively rare, even before cites restrictions. I think I am going to raise a fair question here. Is the fact that you are playing something rare and/or different playing a psychological mind game with you? You want it to be awesome so therefore it is...in your mind?

Not in my case. I’d never heard of an entire rosewood neck until I stumbled upon that McCarty. It sounded and played so well, it blew me away. I had no preconceived notions at all. We don’t need to force you to like them. You don’t. No big deal. But to a lot of us, they’re magical.

think I am going to raise a fair question here. Is the fact that you are playing something rare and/or different playing a psychological mind game with you? You want it to be awesome so therefore it is...in your mind?

You'll have to ask Paul why he designed so many models on the McCarty platform with Rosewood neck. I suspect he'll tell you one of three things, (1) he likes the way they sound, (2) they sell like hot-cakes, or (3) both.

Not in my case. I’d never heard of an entire rosewood neck until I stumbled upon that McCarty. It sounded and played so well, it blew me away. I had no preconceived notions at all. We don’t need to force you to like them. You don’t. No big deal. But to a lot of us, they’re magical.
I feel the same.

Back