The Real Holy Grail PRS

With PRS, I’ve tried BRW, IRW, Madagascar RW, Maple, Mahogany and Pernambuco necks. To my damaged ears, BRW and Pernambuco are truly magical. And I love a great Mahogany neck.

BUT - I believe BRW is best with hotter pickups*- I love 59/09s with them. I didn’t care for 57/08s with them, but I love 57/08s with Mahogany, Madagascar RW and Pernambuco necks. Go figure.

(*My Koa with BRW neck has 53/10s and is also killer)

Like anything else, not all BRW necks are great - I did try one that didn’t quite resonate the way my others did.

I love BRW necks! They’re really consistent in producing great tone. High hit rate! Snipers of the tonewood world.
zOMvxjM.jpg
ib8zbjH.jpg

I love BRW necks! They’re really consistent in producing great tone. High hit rate! Snipers of the tonewood world.
Ninjas? :D Or do we reserve that for Pernie only? :)

EDIT - oh sure, now post it with a picture of an epic blue quilt fiddle! :D

Last edited:
Rosewood necked guitars have always been relatively rare, even before cites restrictions. I think I am going to raise a fair question here. Is the fact that you are playing something rare and/or different playing a psychological mind game with you? You want it to be awesome so therefore it is...in your mind?
I don't know how a Indian rosewood neck sound different from a brazilian and from mahogany and this or that wood. I see the instrument as a whole thing. Of couse we know whqt people say about this wood has more bass, less high end, more attack etc, but in the end of the day we all saw guitars that spec wise should sound in a way sounding in real life totally different.
What I know about rosewood necks (indian or brazilian) is the feel is different, so you play different and should also sound different. better or worst, is a matter of taste. I used to have a ME1 gutiar and worked as a guitartech for a guy who had in his live set 2 Tremontis with IRW neck and a MESCT. His rig had 2 100 watts 2 Channel H heads in 2 4x12" cabinets and it was loud. The floor used to shake when you play those chords and the rosewood neck guitars vibrates really hard and intense. IT was a unique feeling. Rehearsals in the studio, when we had the volume back to normal humans level, those guitars sounded good, but they felt like the others he had with maple and mahogany necks. so, do the rosewood neck guitars sounded better? to my ears, the sounded different, but in very high (you can say insane) volumes they felt alive.

Of all the guitars that have passed through my hands over the years, my McCarty w/ IRW neck still hurts the most.. It was just a special guitar for many reasons, feel, tone and she was a beauty...
I put a set of 53/10s in and got my hands on a stop tail bridge with the brass inserts from a Paul's Guitar, which made the guitar perfection incarnate in my eyes. But, alas, I let a friend talk me out of the guitar at the right time for him, wrong time for me.
I long for the day he reaches out and offers the McRosie a return trip home...
I must concur, it's a magical combination!!!

Back