The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Just ordered my Orion SS. Two questions please:
1) could live with them but not thrilled with grey tuning keys. Where can i purchase just the grey keys that would fit easily?
2). Same deal, love guitar but can a backplate be purchased/added with little hassle? Would protect better. If possible where can I order?

Again, fine the way it is, love it, just curious if I have those two options available. Thanks.

Just ordered my Orion SS. Two questions please:
1) could live with them but not thrilled with grey tuning keys. Where can i purchase just the grey keys that would fit easily?
2). Same deal, love guitar but can a backplate be purchased/added with little hassle? Would protect better. If possible where can I order?

Again, fine the way it is, love it, just curious if I have those two options available. Thanks.

There’s no way to replace just the buttons, they’re molded on. You would have to replace the tuners themselves. I’m not a fan myself, but they work incredibly well so I’m not touching them.

For a backplate - I don’t think you really need protection, but if you’re willing to drill holes any custom or even normal trem backplate would fit. None of my Strat style guitars have backplates on them, I personally dislike them

I saw a Lunar Ice "available" from someone in the UK this morning on Reverb. The asking price was north of $20K...

I’m not sure of any stock backplates that are available but you could easily have a custom one made. For example; ht
://www.wdmusic.com/pickguards-custom-pickguard-order-instructions.html

kind of what I thought, thanks for confirming.
I agree, don’t mess with PRS tuners from the factory and I dang sure ain’t drillin the body. Not a big deal and it does look retro and pretty cool. Really excited about getting it and personally, I like the green better than the new ice. Thanks again.

While I really like the lunar ice, I'm very very happy with my Orion Green. Great color. By manufacturers putting a limited number like 500 or 1,000 on a limited run, you wonder what percentage of buyers really play guitar and what % are just out to scalp us and take our hard earned money by buying them all up. Paul is such a nice person, I'm sure he'd much prefer the guitars in the hands of players vs those just wanting to make a buck. Oh well.

While I really like the lunar ice, I'm very very happy with my Orion Green. Great color. By manufacturers putting a limited number like 500 or 1,000 on a limited run, you wonder what percentage of buyers really play guitar and what % are just out to scalp us and take our hard earned money by buying them all up. Paul is such a nice person, I'm sure he'd much prefer the guitars in the hands of players vs those just wanting to make a buck. Oh well.
It occurs to me that the next time PRS does this, they should survey the market from the last "limited run color", and sell the guitar with a MAP of that huge stupid price (say, US$10,000 or whatever was the max selling price).

But also announce that it is going to drop $200 in MAP every week after the third week, until it hits the MAP of a regular version, or until the Limited Edition sells out.

That way, the folks with stupid amount of money can get their right away, and those with more patience than moolah might have a chance to get it near/at MAP. If it sells out right away at that stupid initial MAP, then PRS at least benefits from the revenue, rather than some Reverb flipper.

Kewl! It does that same thing the SS Nebula does where all the colors crawl around the edge of the body contours. I think the high gloss nitro finish helps enhance that.

The thing that shocked me about the Nebula the first time I looked at it (straight down on the top) was that it looked sky blue! One trick with those paints is to hold it horizontally in a window and play with looking at it from higher or lower angles as the sunlight glances across it. Then you can see the reds, golds, and bronzes that are in the Nebula. I'd expect Lunar Ice to do a similar thing.

Thought this was OT for the Lunar Ice thread, but I see this isn't that thread... :confused: It's been a long day.

Here's what I was talking about in the previous post. Yes, this is Nebula:

n1.png

gold-nebula.png

The local dealer just offered it to me a unit they will be receiving. ETA of the unit is not known yet but likely to be months away. Will need to put a non-refundable deposit of about 25%.

But I just got my Polar Blue silver sky not even a month ago..: o_O

Back