The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Looks like the Lunar Ice LEs are already shipping.

Video from Bay Tunes Guitars: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKUO6Uyn370/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Photo of the finish in sunlight:

qjpzwdhxitjkkjzhfbrp.jpg
They are! Mine arrived on Friday! Thanks @Jack Gretz !!!

Really good idea. My Helix had a bunch of options to pick from so I’ll try a few out front and see what happens.
Thank you.

Add a clean boost in front of your signal chain (virtualy, or really a pedal). I run a TC Spark clean boost, that I use for leveling the signal when changing to single coils... Leave it off and engage it with your weakest signal guitars...

I don't know the Helix architecture at all (I play the Axe-FX), but another suggestion would be to try a fuzz "pedal" with the Silver Sky. I kinda don't believe in fuzzes, but I find some of 'em beef up the sound of the SS nicely, especially the bridge pickup.

Ok, will give it a try. Helix has a bunch of fuzz options so worth a shot.
Thank you.

Midnight Rose, rosewood incoming.... can’t wait.

SS Midnight Rose in hand. LOVE the color. I can see liking other colors but I love this color.

I’ve got a lot going on with my rig; new pedal board, switcher, pedals etc.... but I just finished the board before this SS arrived. I’m still dialing things in but this baby sounds GOOD!. I’m on the fence about the action. I’d like to drop it a touch. It’s articulate and vintage but I’d like it a little lower at the 12th. The more I play it the more I get use to it but it’s dramatically different in feel to my DTG and it would be nice to narrow that gap.

I’ve got a Strat w a 63’ neck. It has an interesting story but that’s for another thread. That neck is way different than this neck but the radius is the same. I wouldn’t want the neck any bigger. I’m tempted to put 11’s on it. I know the scale is longer than my DTG but I think it would sound amazing with the vintage SRV tones the SS can produce. With a slightly heavier sting I think I could drop the action 25%. A little would go a long way. If I could get it down to 2.0 at the low E and 1.5-.175 at the high E I’d be thrilled.

I’m not a purist Strat player. I love the the out of phase 2 & 4 positions on my 63’ but the SS sounds better in the bridge; 3 and 5 (plus nearly the equal in the out of phase positions).

I’d pay up for some customization (neck shape, tuner pegs, factory setup and maybe some electronics enhancements). I’d like to see the treble retention I get with the tone control of the DTG as I roll in back.

Love the weight. Overall it’s a great package and the tone... that’s the kicker. If PRS has that dialed in and can really repeat it, custom shop production really makes sense. (Roasted maple neck, different neck profiles, maybe some bridge alternatives, peg options, setup options).

Had my Orion Green a week. Diggin it but not gushin yet. My Clapton Custom shop soft V 9.5 radius Strat probably my favorite neck of all my guitars. The SS quite different and best tone in my opinion in neck position. Hope I can dial It in and dig it as much as my 06 Clapton strat. We’ll see.

Any actual photos of the Moc Sand Satin yet?

By far the most exciting Silver Sky release from Namm - preordered one straight away!

I
Any actual photos of the Moc Sand Satin yet?

By far the most exciting Silver Sky release from Namm - preordered one straight away!
Agreed!
Hoping to see some pictures of the Moc Sand Satin. I am on the fence whether to order a old stock 2020 Moc Sand gloss or wait for the satin. Need to see some pictures!

Brians posted a shot on Instagram of what looked like a satin Moc Sand Silver Sky and 513, both maple necks. Very cool looking.

It's only the neck that's satin I believe.
I thought the body was going to be satin like the S2 Standard satin guitars. So the neck is going to be like the maple SS?
Has anything official been said about the Moc Sand Satin? I've only seen it in the 2021 product catalog.

Body is satin finish. Here's a photo from Brian's Guitars website. Haven't seen any other photos yet and haven't seen much about the new version at other dealers.

DSC_1406_005added-196e-40fe-830c-7c6cdbe265d4_411x852.jpg
I don’t want to burst bubbles, but I still don’t think this is it. Here’s a photo from a regular moc sand at Brian’s, I think they just cropped the reflections out. The grain on the fretboard is a match (and quite nice I may add).
D1-DAB566-B29-C-4743-8025-A6631-B736191.png

I’m guessing they wanted to do the lunar ice (lunatic price?) first. It is quite a mystery though. Odd they’d choose just one color to do satin but I think it also may be the only non-metallic color so maybe it makes sense.

Just got mine a week ago. Gonna lower to 1.5 and 2.0 and see how that works. Too high for me from the factory. I had them string 9 - 46 on it. Feels pretty good, lower action will make me happy. My prediction for the 2022 models: they will offer 9.5 or other various radius options. Mine is Orion Green and it's awesome. I'm also blown away by the pickups and how incredible the 5 positions are. Each one incredibly different. I did hear Mayer's phone interview with Paul where he disses Sunburst colors. He likes them but says totally overdone and he will never offer sunburst on a SS. I thought that was interesting how blunt he was with Paul.

My advice is not to get hung-up on exact heights. It's a trial and error thing. You KNOW it's too high for you, so make gradual changes and play it a little, maybe sleep on it, and keep that up until you're comfortable. It really comes down to that. Tastes vary as much as hand size, musical genre, and playing style. I don't see any reason why you can't get it to where you are comfortable. My SS is my only current 7.25" radius of all my guitars (though I've had 7.25" before) and I find the SS neck and setup to be one of, if not the most comfortable of any of my guitars to play.

Back