The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I can't begin to describe the stuff I've cleaned off the horns and pickups of my guitars...he's 17 months old so I'll let you use your imagination...he absolutely goes ballistic when I let him strum the strings with me so I try to encourage that as much as possible and keep my winces as internal as possible! ;)

My dude likes knobs, switches, and tuners. He’s like a mini version of Paul in those old videos where he’s messing with Mike Ault’s controls as he plays.

I dunno, I've wasted enough money in the past 30 years looking for a "Strat" that works for me. Including $2500 on the last one from a boutique builder. I'm not bragging, or anything like that. I just mean that I love the sounds so much that I am willing to look high and low for something that works for me. So far, I haven't had much luck. I trust PRS enough to try one out. At the end of the day, if the SS doesn't work for me, I'll finally be convinced that nothing ever will. Based on my past purchases, I have that much confidence in Paul to get it right (for me). If he can't, I'm confident that no one will.

Almost exactly sums up my feelings!!!

So, PRS announces a new guitar model and immediately the howler monkeys start to howl, “it’s too this. It’s not enough that.”

Never mind that none of them has even seen one in person, much less played one...

SSDD

C'mon, man - everyone knows you just have to look at a picture to find out all you need to know!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to post a picture of a brain. Then I'm gonna sit back and become a neurologist!

I think this is really short sighted...

Why is it a strat copy? Because it has single coils mounted on a pickguard? With that line of thinking, every guitar ever made is a Fender/Gibson copy?

I don’t want that Toyota Tundra, it’s just a model T copy.... I don't want satellite TV, it’s just a copy of my rotary antenna... I don't want my wife to wear victoria secret, it’s just a copy of corsets from the 1800’s... you get the point...

When I but a 9V pedal power supply from china for $3 instead of the exactly same one from CA that is $15, that is a copy!

The whole point of innovation is to take something and make it better... PRS guitars are make with exceptional care to details. This results in better finish, tone, durability, feel, and overall quality. That's why we all have them...

If Fenders/Gibsons quality control was half as good as PRS, we wouldn't be talking about this. People would just buy a guitar from them.

That is the signature of PRS... not a pickup or shape... It’s a quality instrument that plays like a million bucks out of the box everytime... Haters be on notice...
right on brother

I can't begin to describe the stuff I've cleaned off the horns and pickups of my guitars...he's 17 months old so I'll let you use your imagination...he absolutely goes ballistic when I let him strum the strings with me so I try to encourage that as much as possible and keep my winces as internal as possible! ;)
Mine are 18 months and 3 years. I know what you mean. I generally use the Strat for them to bash on as I figure that one is the most indestructible

Similar situation here... the older one is 4 1/2 years and the younger is 20 months old... they will both want the same guitar at the same time even if there are 3 or 4 on the couch...
But with all that Strat talk I realized I have an '86 Japanese Strat in the warehouse... I'll only keep that one out for them to play on!!!
Never thought of that... My PRSs are saved!!!

Last edited:
Similar situation here... the older one is 4 1/2 years and the younger is 20 months old... will want the same guitar even if there are 3 or 4 on the couch...
But with all that Strat talk I realized I have an '86 Japanese Strat in the warehouse... I'll only keep that one out for them to play on!!!
Never thought of that... My PRSs are saved!!!
Same here, my 9 year old picks up the Jap Strat (‘96), it’s got battle scars from 20+ years playing. Lumps out the finish where I fell off a table, but it’s my workhorse, like a comfortable pair of slippers!

He plays Back in Black (slowly), but I’m not losing my mind, thinking that it’s going to get damaged. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t trash my gear, but it was a tool to a job for many years! I’m no a fan of relicing, but if I’ve put a mark on it, it’s part of its history.

Back on thread, don’t beat up of the “host” of this thread. He’s put together an instrument for a musicIan, the popularity of using a well known guitarist is nothing new. Anyone heard of Les Paul!

This will hopefully result in many sales, making an instrument company stronger, being able to produce more choices for the musician of the future. A rare thing in the current financial climate!

There’s a lot of negativity out there for this guitar. I personally dont understand why!

So it’s another Strat, it’s got a scarf joint, the frets aren’t fat, it’s got a 7.25 radius, the pickups are all the same value, it’s got an all steel trem and the cavity hasn’t been sealed.

Go play it! Like it? Got the funds? Ta-dah

Don’t? Don’t? Duh!! Move on, the world won’t end!

I have no issues with the guitar itself (other than wishing there was routing for HSS), my other reply was in response to the moderator editing out it's retail price from my earlier comment about how it comes with a gig bag instead of a hardshell case. I have kids at home so I need bulletproof ways to store them! :D

The edit of your previous post wasn't necessary, sorry for the mix up. It's no secret that the Silver Sky MAPs at $2299. The issue we have with posting prices is that MAP will be posted, then someone will chime in and say something like "I just got one from dealer X for $2149" and then someone else chimes in about picking one up for $2049 and it soon becomes a race to the bottom as far as price goes.

Same here, my 9 year old picks up the Jap Strat (‘96), it’s got battle scars from 20+ years playing. Lumps out the finish where I fell off a table, but it’s my workhorse, like a comfortable pair of slippers!

He plays Back in Black (slowly), but I’m not losing my mind, thinking that it’s going to get damaged. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t trash my gear, but it was a tool to a job for many years! I’m no a fan of relicing, but if I’ve put a mark on it, it’s part of its history.

Back on thread, don’t beat up of the “host” of this thread. He’s put together an instrument for a musicIan, the popularity of using a well known guitarist is nothing new. Anyone heard of Les Paul!

This will hopefully result in many sales, making an instrument company stronger, being able to produce more choices for the musician of the future. A rare thing in the current financial climate!

There’s a lot of negativity out there for this guitar. I personally dont understand why!

So it’s another Strat, it’s got a scarf joint, the frets aren’t fat, it’s got a 7.25 radius, the pickups are all the same value, it’s got an all steel trem and the cavity hasn’t been sealed.

Go play it! Like it? Got the funds? Ta-dah

Don’t? Don’t? Duh!! Move on, the world won’t end!

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Just going on tone in the videos, these are wonderful sounding guitars. One issue I have with Fender’s (and many other builder’s) Strats after the 60s is that they can be thin-sounding. These sound big and round.

Fender’s Strats back in the 63-4 era were 2 or 3 piece alder.

I like the attention to detail on these, I like the tones, I like the looks. Very nicely done!

The other interesting bit is that PRS has moved on from the V12 finish. I liked V12, but most of my recent PRSes have been nitro-finished PS models.

Except my recent 594s! And when I got them I marveled at how utterly sweet the finishes looked and felt. In fact, my first one was photographed for the website, so I figured PRS had done something unusual polishing it up, it was so perfect. But then my second one arrived, and it was a regular order. Darned if it wasn’t every bit as beautifully finished.

We all know the 594s sound great, too. So whatever they’re using now, goodness me, it’s great stuff!

Back