The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

The headstock is quite nice actually. Beautiful asymmetry.

It's growing on me. Was a shock at first, kinda like the toggle location on the 594.

The other interesting bit is that PRS has moved on from the V12 finish. I liked V12, but most of my recent PRSes have been nitro-finished PS models.

Except my recent 594s! And when I got them I marveled at how utterly sweet the finishes looked and felt. In fact, my first one was photographed for the website, so I figured PRS had done something unusual polishing it up, it was so perfect. But then my second one arrived, and it was a regular order. Darned if it wasn’t every bit as beautifully finished.

We all know the 594s sound great, too. So whatever they’re using now, goodness me, it’s great stuff!

I didn't know that either. Whatever the formula, I agree it sure is great!

I said before this product is a perfect storm. Three things that people online are very passionate about, either for or against, are PRS, Strats, and John Mayer.

A seven minute video that feels like twenty minutes because of his monotone rambling :)

Yeah man, that and the constant cynic attitude made it a complete drag to watch. He's basically complaining about people who complain, fantastic!

People don't like new guitars MOST of the time anyway. I've seen people complain about the gauge of strings in some model LOL

I'd like a white one.

I like the headstock shape---very nice. I like the angled back headstock as well, hate string trees, scarf joints work obviously and keep down costs plus save a few trees from just being sawdust.

Pickups sound nice. I would definitely float the trem as soon as a got it---chords need shimmer too! Cool tuners. Nice truss rod adjust.

The 7.25 radius does not bother me, cuz I like vintage radius and Paul ain't making a guitar that frets out on typical bends. Maybe there is a compound radius there, like my Suhr---7.5 to 9.5.

I don't like the colors much so far. Give us some Lake Placid Blue, Burgundy Mist, Sherwood Green---stuff that looks killer with rosewood. I find the red and black rather boring, but I'm not John Mayer.

I dunno, I've wasted enough money in the past 30 years looking for a "Strat" that works for me. Including $2500 on the last one from a boutique builder. I'm not bragging, or anything like that. I just mean that I love the sounds so much that I am willing to look high and low for something that works for me. So far, I haven't had much luck. I trust PRS enough to try one out. At the end of the day, if the SS doesn't work for me, I'll finally be convinced that nothing ever will. Based on my past purchases, I have that much confidence in Paul to get it right (for me). If he can't, I'm confident that no one will.

My sentiments exactly. If this doesn't work for me, I'll hope that it's success brings a "non-signature" version with normal PRS spec neck and frets, and maple. If it doesn't, it doesn't. If it does, my lifelong strat search will be over for good.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good Strat is a good addition because it really does have a very different character. I think this has a good chance of covering that space without the worry about "Will this one be a good one?".

I think the most important part of this entire project is the fact that Paul promised John that every Silver Sky we make will sound as good as the ones we built for John. Considering that both John and Paul are sticklers for details, that promise is huge IMHO.

I think the most important part of this entire project is the fact that Paul promised John that every Silver Sky we make will sound as good as the ones we built for John. Considering that both John and Paul are sticklers for details, that promise is huge IMHO.

I appreciate this and think it's a great goal. Problem is that wood doesn't always cooperate. Some guitars will be exceptional and some will pretty much suck even if built well.

It is a huge promise. But one that he has made good on before.

I've seen Paul and David Grissom at trunk shows. DG doesn't bring a guitar. He just grabs a DGT from the dealer and tunes up.

Although I get your point. Not every guitar will speak to every player, but that's a good thing. Variety is the spice of life

You and I are in complete agreement. I'm glad the bar is set high at PRS for building exceptional guitars and I feel like it's been like that since the beginning. It's what got me into the guitars in the first place in the mid 80's.

One time Paul said to me "Everyone is always looking at the wood Stradivarius used as to why his instruments are so special". "They think there must be some magic in the wood". "Did anyone ever stop to consider that maybe he just reeeeeeally knew what he was doing as a builder?"

I never thought of it that way but I still think some pieces of wood just have something special. # 844 from 1986 is unlike any guitar I've ever owned. It's not at the same quality level of the current guitars but it's alive. I feel lucky to have it.

Back