The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Ok, if I recall my conversation with the PRS rep, it was...

Me: "you know, us Mayer fans would love to see an affordable Super Eagle, I bet you'd sell a boat load of those, even without the fancy electronics and woods"
Rep: "Well, they are to announce a new guitar at the Experience this summer that should make that crowd happy"

He didn't say core, S2, SE, CE....just something to make us Dead & Company/Mayer fans "happy"..........:rolleyes::oops::eek:
omg, yeah I know Clay. Used to work with him. This might change everything......

omg, yeah I know Clay. Used to work with him. This might change everything......
I've thought, ok you have the template of a semi hollow S2 custom 24 from the Reclaimed wood series, now route the middle for an NF3, add a 5 way blade you've got something darn close to the Super Eagle in terms of tones. I'd live on that second position. I guess I can dream

I don't know if it's the same machine, but it's definitely at the factory in Maryland. I have no idea how many machines they utilize to wrap different pickups, or if it's all the same machine.

I have seen them wind pickups at the Experience Events. They Do Narrowfields, single coils, humbuckers, etc...
The pickup covers are imported from China (if I remember correctly). I have 2 "brand new 2008-2010" PRS guitars that I do not play and the covers have discolored horribly.
In regards to the SS, I wonder how many parts, if at all, are imported. The bridge? The saddles? Pick ups?

My preorder came in and I told them to keep it. The frets are tiny, the same they use on mandolins?? Say what?!? Sounded good, but my wife thought it looked like a Squier lol.

My preorder came in and I told them to keep it. The frets are tiny, the same they use on mandolins?? Say what?!? Sounded good, but my wife thought it looked like a Squier lol.

Oh wow. At no charge? So the frets + radius was a deal breaker for you huh.

Damn. Not liking hearing about the "tiny" frets. I have never liked them, and actually have been contemplating re-fretting my #1 (a Fender tele) with jumbos... I think medium jumbo (stock Fender) might be smallest I'm comfortable with.

The radius thing only bothered me on paper (and that was before the SS), but after reading people's posts here about it and how fretwork makes all the difference, I got over that.

But I don't think I can abide small frets.

The pickup covers are imported from China (if I remember correctly). I have 2 "brand new 2008-2010" PRS guitars that I do not play and the covers have discolored horribly.

I have no idea where the pickup covers are made - I’d suspect the US, most likely, as that’s where most of the Core hardware is made (likely exception is tuners) - but the covers are nickel-plated. Nickel tarnishes similar to silver. In other words, what you’re experiencing isn’t a discoloration problem, it’s simply what happens with nickel.

Chrome doesn’t tarnish, but it is more prone to peeling and is bluer in color than nickel plating. Nickel looks a little warmer in color tone.

As an aside, I’ve had several from that era, and they stayed perfect with only an occasional cleaning or polishing (a lot of the tarnish thing is spots on the pickups our skin oils contact, or whether we keep the instruments cased or exposed to the air in our rooms, etc.). I do keep my guitars cased when not in use, so maybe that helps.

The good news is that nickel also polishes up quite easily. PRS recommends a polish on the website if you get some tarnish.

I have no idea where the pickup covers are made - I’d suspect the US, most likely, as that’s where most of the Core hardware is made (likely exception is tuners) - but the covers are nickel-plated. Nickel tarnishes similar to silver. In other words, what you’re experiencing isn’t a discoloration problem, it’s simply what happens with nickel.

Chrome doesn’t tarnish, but it is more prone to peeling and is bluer in color than nickel plating. Nickel looks a little warmer in color tone.

As an aside, I’ve had several from that era, and they stayed perfect with only an occasional cleaning or polishing (a lot of the tarnish thing is spots on the pickups our skin oils contact, or whether we keep the instruments cased or exposed to the air in our rooms, etc.). I do keep my guitars cased when not in use, so maybe that helps..

The good news is that nickel also polishes up quite easily. PRS recommends a polish on the website if you get some tarnish.

I've always much preferred nickel hardware over chrome. It feels so much nicer - smoother. And I love how it ages, the patination. To me chrome parts just look cheap and nasty. I do prefer it if the parts are kept in fairly good condition though. Not so keen if they get all pitted but am entirely happy if I buy an old guitar and the hardware is already like that, just adds to the character.

The radius did not bother me that much (surprisingly) but the tiny frets did. I do like large frets and can do medium/jumbo. I just couldn't dig into the neck and bend and just play the guitar hard. I'm sure some players who are slicker and play more chordal stuff and delicate runs would like it. I do not want to knock the guitar, it's awesome for the money. Just not for me. I wouldn't play a Santana or a 594 either. Just not guitars with features that I dig.

And yes, the dealer sold the guitar before I could even get back there to return it. Someone else is happy!

Hello all! I pre-ordered mine on day two in Frost. Anyone seen or heard anything on that finish? I haven’t heard or seen any reviews or videos in the Frost finish.

I've always much preferred nickel hardware over chrome. It feels so much nicer - smoother. And I love how it ages, the patination. To me chrome parts just look cheap and nasty. I do prefer it if the parts are kept in fairly good condition though. Not so keen if they get all pitted but am entirely happy if I buy an old guitar and the hardware is already like that, just adds to the character.

Totally agree!

For me, the nickel is warmer and I like the look. It adds a character that chrome lacks. I do keep mine shiny, but like you, if a guitar gets a patina, fine. I’m good with it. In fact, my ‘65 SG Special has a pretty serious patina, and I’m reluctant to polish it off. The guitar’s been in my family since new, and became mine in ‘67. Beat up, but awesome looking in its own way (which is to say, it’s kind of a mess, but it has a history! ;)).

Back