The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

A link to this showed up in my in-box a few minutes ago. Pretty awesome; Tim Pierce comparing the Silver Sky to a $20,000 1965 Strat. The Silver Sky held up extremely well in comparison:

Oops, I missed that it’s already been posted. Sorry!

rmg, your new SS is fantastic looking; might be my favorite color! I also enjoyed the review and trip through your setup.

And yeah, so often it’s all about the amp and just one or two little tweaks!

Anyway, it’s almost impossible for me to not want one of these, after seeing and listening to all the videos. Beautiful vintage tones.

The similarity between the tones on the SS and the ‘65 through an iPhone speaker are pretty amazing!

OK there are subtle differences. I found the SS to have a little more low end, to my ears.

You guys who are lucky enough to play the SS are “lucky”!!

Digging Pierce's goatee! Dude's a monster player of course. I grew up hearing SO MANY of his solos....

I'd rather have a $2K SS (and $18K of other gear) than a $20K '65 strat anyday.

Guys, I'm too busy enjoying this thing to take super detailed pictures tonight. I do have some that I took when I opened the case for the first time at the guitar shop. They are below.

Short/quick review: It's freaking great and totally worth the 5 month wait that I "endured."

Long review/detail: This does not "feel" like a PRS guitar in the sense that the neck profile/frets/radius are all totally different than what you experience when you play a Custom 24 or any "normal" PRS guitar. The frets are "smaller" than the standard PRS frets, but they are not what I would call "vintage" like on a AVRI or something of that nature. They're thin side to side like those, but taller. The neck profile, to my hands, feels like a 57 reissue strat, but with less depth front to back. I guess that I'm saying is that I noticed more "shoulder" on the sides of the neck than what I'm used to from a PRS carve. It took a few minutes, but I quickly adjusted. It comes strung with 10s. I play 9s on 25.5" scale instruments, so that was my first move after the initial jam session. I'm playing the guitar through my Carr Mercury V amplifier. With the volume control on the guitar on 10, it sounded "ok." It wasn't quite as "snappy" and "quacky" as I like my strat-style guitars, because I tend to favor maple fretboard/50s era pickups. I was concerned. We all know it was modeled after a 60s strat, which are "known" for being more bassy/less quacky/trebly, perhaps. The problem got "worse" (for my taste) when I rolled the volume knob down. I immediately noticed that this guitar does *not* have a treble bleed circuit installed. I love the clarity and chime of single coils and I use "old school" channel switching by rolling the volume knob down for rhythm and up for overdrive/solos. This was a second concerning factor (for me and my taste and playing style).

I put the guitar on my bench and took the 10s off. The neck was darn-near straight, which is just the way I like it. Barely any relief at all. Usually I have to adjust the rod on my PRS guitars out of the box. This one I didn't need to touch. It was perfect. That was a positive. I had decided that I was going to use alligator clips to non-invasively install a treble bleed capacitor (180uF, which is what PRS uses on ALL guitars EXCEPT the 594 variants and the Silver Sky). I started to take the screws out of the pickguard and *DANG*. Those suckers are TIGHT. That's one thing that I have to comment on. The tolerances on this guitar are tighter than any other strat-style guitar I've owned, and that includes Suhrs and Custom Shop F guitars. I got the pickguard off and noticed that the volume pot has a resistor on the left-most lug (L1). My *guess* is that this modifies the taper of the potentiometer in some way. I clipped in the treble bleed and reinstalled the guard. Again, putting the screws back in was tough. Everything on the guitar is *so* tightly put together. Obviously, this is a good thing! I put the 9s on the guitar and lowered the action to just a hair under 4/64" on the bass side and right on 3/64" on the treble side. Of course, I wanted to try out those dreaded "above the 12th fret bends" on that "crappy" and "unplayable" 7.25" radius. No fret out *at all*, even on 2 step bends with the action as I said above and a straight neck. I set the intonation for the new string gauges. DANG! Those screws are just as tight as the pickguard screws! Again, this is good! I then dropped the pickups a whole turn on each side of each pickup to compensate for the slightly lower action than factory spec.

I plugged back into the Mercury V. Much better, but still not what I was hoping for. I love that Sultans of Swing tone, which was a 1961 Strat. How can this guitar be *that much* different? It was modeled after a 1963/4. This is much more bassy and darker, with less quack. I was disappointed. For the record, the bass/middle/treble on the amp were all set straight up and down. I decided to switch the character voicing on the amp from a 60s-style Marshall to a 70s/80s style Marshall, which is a feature of the Mercury V. BOOM! The guitar comes alive! There's the chime! There's the quack! Roll off the volume knob and it cleans up nicely and maintains the chime perfectly! The neck pickup is Jimi, the middle SRV, and Knopfler quack is there, the bridge pickup sounds great! Blackmore in spades!

Moral of the story? If you want the quack/chime, make sure and tweak your amp! One simple toggle switch on the amp took me from relative disappointment to being totally in love. This things sustains and rings so very well. Obviously I'm *now* in the honeymoon phase, but I sure wasn't when I started. I'd be willing to bet I could have left the 10s on there and been perfectly happy if I'd have just flipped that switch at the start!

Also, I installed the same treble bleed circuit on both of my 594s a month or so ago, one with humbuckers and one with the soapbar P90s. It's just my style, it's not a knock on the guitar. I like that sound. That's a "me" thing. I love the thing now. Very satisfied customer.

Vh7YZlX.jpg

ElCm2sA.jpg
nQBJjO9.jpg
IaQIWhc.jpg

Great write up! So very happy to hear how much you like it. Can't wait!

The Guitarist video is pretty interesting. All the guitars sounded really great. The SS sounds a little fatter to me than the Fender. The Knaggs is really coming from a different angle, though it’s extremely nice, too.

Amazing how lucky we are to have such incredible choices in guitars these days, isn’t it?

The Guitarist video is pretty interesting. All the guitars sounded really great. The SS sounds a little fatter to me than the Fender. The Knaggs is really coming from a different angle, though it’s extremely nice, too.

Amazing how lucky we are to have such incredible choices in guitars these days, isn’t it?

Man, isn't it though! It's a great time to be a guitar player!

Hello all! I pre-ordered mine on day two in Frost. Anyone seen or heard anything on that finish? I haven’t heard or seen any reviews or videos in the Frost finish.
Hi @Michael Gorospe, There are very few from the Frost in the first shipment from what I sense, I have just ran into an unboxing video of a Frost one! Very beautiful Vintage White look and metallic contour! Here is a link:

Enjoy and congrats for the order :)

Yup! I think that's accurate since PRSh and JMh mentioned that the neck pickup has highs, and the bridge pickup has low's which contribute to the whole fatter/rounder/warmer tone.

The similarity between the tones on the SS and the ‘65 through an iPhone speaker are pretty amazing!

OK there are subtle differences. I found the SS to have a little more low end, to my ears.

You guys who are lucky enough to play the SS are “lucky”!!

Yes! I'm hearing that as well, exactly my reply above! About what PRSh and JMh.

Digging Pierce's goatee! Dude's a monster player of course. I grew up hearing SO MANY of his solos....

I'd rather have a $2K SS (and $18K of other gear) than a $20K '65 strat anyday.

Yes, unless I've got $22K hahah.

I'm now wishing I had stolen that Tungsten SS right from under Alan's fingers last Saturday ;) - I kid, I kid...........
The newer videos are just showing how DARN GOOD those pickups sound.

Now...do I order Horizon or Tungsten ?!:cool:

TUNGSTEN OF COURSE.

One of my all-time favorites. Almost broke out in tears when Dweezil played it at soundcheck last tour. Then again when he played it during the show and he was in tears.

I'm thinking about redoing it w/the SS. Something's not right w/me...
Crazy thing about that song... I'd never heard it until Dweezil played it on ZPZ a few years ago. I'm a huge Zappa fan, and have owned and loved Joe's Garage for years, but really only listened to Act I on a regular basis - I found the rest to be kind of boring and uninspired. I guess I never made it to the end of Act III to hear this masterpiece. What a revelation discovering one of Frank's finest songs, so many years after his passing. Gotta break out the Strat for Watermelon.

But I digress from the JM SS thread...

The SS definitely has the same Tetris neck joint as the CE's right?

I'm now wishing I had stolen that Tungsten SS right from under Alan's fingers last Saturday ;) - I kid, I kid...........
The newer videos are just showing how DARN GOOD those pickups sound.

Now...do I order Horizon or Tungsten ?!:cool:

I was going to defer...I even went outside to see how big that cigarette was!!!

But for the low, low price of $6,499... :eek:

Crazy thing about that song... I'd never heard it until Dweezil played it on ZPZ a few years ago. I'm a huge Zappa fan, and have owned and loved Joe's Garage for years, but really only listened to Act I on a regular basis - I found the rest to be kind of boring and uninspired. I guess I never made it to the end of Act III to hear this masterpiece. What a revelation discovering one of Frank's finest songs, so many years after his passing. Gotta break out the Strat for Watermelon.

But I digress from the JM SS thread...

For a while, the story was that there were three songs that Frank said he didn't want anyone to play after he died - Watermelon, Black Napkins, and Zoot Allures (I believe). So to hear Dweezil break it out gave me chills - I didn't think I'd ever hear it live again.

And I get what you're saying about Joe's Garage. Act I is a solid album beginning to end. Acts II & III (released as a double LP) tend to meander a bit. There are some definite high points ("Stick It Out", "Dong Work For Yuda", "Outside Now", "Watermelon..." - at least - for me), but also some points where you think, if this wasn't on here, it really wouldn't make a difference. I had Act I for several years before I ever got II & III, and it grabbed me way harder than those two.

The SS definitely has the same Tetris neck joint as the CE's right?

No. It has the more straightforward Fender-inspired joint like the DC3/NF3/Brent Mason.

Thanks for sharing all these videos and hands-on reports, everyone! I still don't think it's the right "Strat" for me, but there's no denying it sounds fantastic. I look forward to playing one eventually when they catch up with demand.

Now that it's been a few days, some thoughts: The tremolo action is smooth and returns to pitch amazingly. The pickups sound wonderful, very even and full. The radius is very comfortable for me, though the smaller frets took some adjustment. Was lucky enough to get a hard case with it as well which is very nice, though funnily it's heavier than the guitar. Came setup perfectly from Maryland. Overall very very impressed with this guitar, and with my first PRS.

Now that it's been a few days, some thoughts: The tremolo action is smooth and returns to pitch amazingly. The pickups sound wonderful, very even and full. The radius is very comfortable for me, though the smaller frets took some adjustment. Was lucky enough to get a hard case with it as well which is very nice, though funnily it's heavier than the guitar. Came setup perfectly from Maryland. Overall very very impressed with this guitar, and with my first PRS.

Wow congrats on your first PRS being a Silver Sky. It definitely is different from the usual offering that PRS does but I'm certain it has the same fit finish and quality regardless of model.
And yes, even on the other models, the PRS tremolo is very stable and returns to pitch very well. Not surprised the Silver Sky's trem does the same.

Yea after reading and watching many reviews, it looks like the fret size is the thing that people had to get used to, and not the 7.25" radius that everyone talked about when it was launched.

Before even getting to your last sentence, I knew it was at least your first PRS with hard case. I'm pretty sure the cases are made of concrete wrapped in tolex. :p

Congrats and glad you're digging it.

Back