The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2018.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

A link to this showed up in my in-box a few minutes ago. Pretty awesome; Tim Pierce comparing the Silver Sky to a $20,000 1965 Strat. The Silver Sky held up extremely well in comparison:

Oops, I missed that it’s already been posted. Sorry!

Elvis2019, JonW, g.wizz and 5 others like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

rmg, your new SS is fantastic looking; might be my favorite color! I also enjoyed the review and trip through your setup.

And yeah, so often it’s all about the amp and just one or two little tweaks!

Anyway, it’s almost impossible for me to not want one of these, after seeing and listening to all the videos. Beautiful vintage tones.

JonW, g.wizz, evanjlim and 1 other person like this.
  3. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

The similarity between the tones on the SS and the ‘65 through an iPhone speaker are pretty amazing!

OK there are subtle differences. I found the SS to have a little more low end, to my ears.

You guys who are lucky enough to play the SS are “lucky”!!

g.wizz and Gvhbngh like this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 New Member

Digging Pierce's goatee! Dude's a monster player of course. I grew up hearing SO MANY of his solos....

I'd rather have a $2K SS (and $18K of other gear) than a $20K '65 strat anyday.

JonW, evanjlim and LSchefman like this.
  5. BeerBatteredPhish

BeerBatteredPhish New Member

I'm now wishing I had stolen that Tungsten SS right from under Alan's fingers last Saturday ;) - I kid, I kid...........
    The newer videos are just showing how DARN GOOD those pickups sound.

Now...do I order Horizon or Tungsten ?!:cool:

JonW, g.wizz, LSchefman and 2 others like this.
  6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Great write up! So very happy to hear how much you like it. Can't wait!

rmg471 likes this.
  7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

The Guitarist video is pretty interesting. All the guitars sounded really great. The SS sounds a little fatter to me than the Fender. The Knaggs is really coming from a different angle, though it’s extremely nice, too.

Amazing how lucky we are to have such incredible choices in guitars these days, isn’t it?

rmg471 and bodia like this.
  8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Man, isn't it though! It's a great time to be a guitar player!

9. aufgangs

aufgangs Gooz

Hi @Michael Gorospe, There are very few from the Frost in the first shipment from what I sense, I have just ran into an unboxing video of a Frost one! Very beautiful Vintage White look and metallic contour! Here is a link:

Enjoy and congrats for the order :)

Alnus Rubra and Rmbottojr like this.
  10. rmg471

rmg471 New Member

The golden era.

bodia likes this.
  11. evanjlim

evanjlim New Member

Yup! I think that's accurate since PRSh and JMh mentioned that the neck pickup has highs, and the bridge pickup has low's which contribute to the whole fatter/rounder/warmer tone.

Yes! I'm hearing that as well, exactly my reply above! About what PRSh and JMh.

Yes, unless I've got $22K hahah.

TUNGSTEN OF COURSE.

12. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

Crazy thing about that song... I'd never heard it until Dweezil played it on ZPZ a few years ago. I'm a huge Zappa fan, and have owned and loved Joe's Garage for years, but really only listened to Act I on a regular basis - I found the rest to be kind of boring and uninspired. I guess I never made it to the end of Act III to hear this masterpiece. What a revelation discovering one of Frank's finest songs, so many years after his passing. Gotta break out the Strat for Watermelon.

But I digress from the JM SS thread...

13. Elliot

Elliot Gandalf the Vintage Yellow

The SS definitely has the same Tetris neck joint as the CE's right?

Gvhbngh likes this.
  14. alantig

alantig SSBMA

I was going to defer...I even went outside to see how big that cigarette was!!!

But for the low, low price of $6,499... :eek:

BeerBatteredPhish likes this.
  15. alantig

alantig SSBMA

For a while, the story was that there were three songs that Frank said he didn't want anyone to play after he died - Watermelon, Black Napkins, and Zoot Allures (I believe). So to hear Dweezil break it out gave me chills - I didn't think I'd ever hear it live again.

And I get what you're saying about Joe's Garage. Act I is a solid album beginning to end. Acts II & III (released as a double LP) tend to meander a bit. There are some definite high points ("Stick It Out", "Dong Work For Yuda", "Outside Now", "Watermelon..." - at least - for me), but also some points where you think, if this wasn't on here, it really wouldn't make a difference. I had Act I for several years before I ever got II & III, and it grabbed me way harder than those two.

g.wizz and Dirty_Boogie like this.
  16. Iceman101

Iceman101 There's always room for one more.....

I don't think these have been posted yet

g.wizz and Alnus Rubra like this.
  17. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

No. It has the more straightforward Fender-inspired joint like the DC3/NF3/Brent Mason.

Thanks for sharing all these videos and hands-on reports, everyone! I still don't think it's the right "Strat" for me, but there's no denying it sounds fantastic. I look forward to playing one eventually when they catch up with demand.

rmg471 likes this.
  18. Gvhbngh

Gvhbngh New Member

Now that it's been a few days, some thoughts: The tremolo action is smooth and returns to pitch amazingly. The pickups sound wonderful, very even and full. The radius is very comfortable for me, though the smaller frets took some adjustment. Was lucky enough to get a hard case with it as well which is very nice, though funnily it's heavier than the guitar. Came setup perfectly from Maryland. Overall very very impressed with this guitar, and with my first PRS.

19. evanjlim

evanjlim New Member

Wow congrats on your first PRS being a Silver Sky. It definitely is different from the usual offering that PRS does but I'm certain it has the same fit finish and quality regardless of model.
    And yes, even on the other models, the PRS tremolo is very stable and returns to pitch very well. Not surprised the Silver Sky's trem does the same.

Yea after reading and watching many reviews, it looks like the fret size is the thing that people had to get used to, and not the 7.25" radius that everyone talked about when it was launched.

aufgangs and Gvhbngh like this.
  20. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

Before even getting to your last sentence, I knew it was at least your first PRS with hard case. I'm pretty sure the cases are made of concrete wrapped in tolex. :p

Congrats and glad you're digging it.

dsenoj, g.wizz, Rmbottojr and 5 others like this.