The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Where did you get it? L&M, or Rufus guitars?
Rufus is a PRS dealer and they have a repair shop as well.
But I'd contact PTC first as others have suggested.

hi I got from Rufu's guitars. I was lucky enough to get the first SS they got. Heard they getting maple one's soon too.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Btw after 3 posts now I'm able to post some links. Attached are some photos of the issue. I've highlighted the part where I can feel the wood lining.
jDka7iF.jpg

B8UqNKS.jpg

OK, now I get it...
The scarf joint. I checked mine (one of the first 500) and I can feel a slight variation along that line.
I never noticed it before, so I can honestly tell you it doesn't bother me at all.
That being said, yours may be more pronounced than mine.
It occurs to me that some extremely fine sandpaper would fix it, but I'm nowhere near qualified to suggest exactly how to do it.

hi I got from Rufu's guitars. I was lucky enough to get the first SS they got. Heard they getting maple one's soon too.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Btw after 3 posts now I'm able to post some links. Attached are some photos of the issue. I've highlighted the part where I can feel the wood lining.
jDka7iF.jpg

B8UqNKS.jpg
Until I saw your pictures, I’d never even noticed where the scarf joint was. I just went and checked mine, also a 2018. Smooth as glass. Check with PTC, I’m sure they’ve come across one or two with a similar feel, and have a fix for it.

OK, now I get it...
The scarf joint. I checked mine (one of the first 500) and I can feel a slight variation along that line.
I never noticed it before, so I can honestly tell you it doesn't bother me at all.
That being said, yours may be more pronounced than mine.
It occurs to me that some extremely fine sandpaper would fix it, but I'm nowhere near qualified to suggest exactly how to do it.

ohhh. so that's what you call it. Thank you very much! Will email PTC!

Spill the deets!

There aren't many details to add about the guitar because it's just about identical to every other Silver Sky. What some may find interesting is the initial marketing of this guitar really turned me off. It was made out to be something revolutionary when it's really just a PRS version of a very popular guitar. I wasn't ranting and raving online but I also had no interest in buying one at all.

So what changed? I played one. In fact I played a number of them over the last year and each one played and sounded great. It still took a while to get one because I'm not a fan of some of the design elements. I'm hoping the looks grow on me seeing as it's a great player.

put a black pickguard on it?

There aren't many details to add about the guitar because it's just about identical to every other Silver Sky. What some may find interesting is the initial marketing of this guitar really turned me off. It was made out to be something revolutionary when it's really just a PRS version of a very popular guitar. I wasn't ranting and raving online but I also had no interest in buying one at all.

So what changed? I played one. In fact I played a number of them over the last year and each one played and sounded great. It still took a while to get one because I'm not a fan of some of the design elements. I'm hoping the looks grow on me seeing as it's a great player.

Just some feedback, I as well as probably millions of other players "might" be interested in a new "BETTER" single coil option sure but sorry "You simply must do something with the input jack location" Copying a sincere design fault is just ludicrous IMHO.

It's the 2020's man. Hide the thing flush on the end of the body.

Just some feedback, I as well as probably millions of other players "might" be interested in a new "BETTER" single coil option sure but sorry "You simply must do something with the input jack location" Copying a sincere design fault is just ludicrous IMHO.

It's the 2020's man. Hide the thing flush on the end of the body.

It never once occurred to me that the jack was in a poor location.

It never once occurred to me that the jack was in a poor location.
Yes , you strat folks or as Iike to call you, twangmasters are the epitome of perception & masters of modern design.

In all seriousness, for YEARS, the old stuff was simply better. That very simply is no longer true. People overpay for garbage while great PLAYING guitars can be had for much less. It's all good.

Trumpeting the great hidden finds is contrary to our own self interest <g>

It's actually Scary the QC differences between high end and what people love to write off as garbage. One major manufacturer, of which I myself was a willing victim, man let's just say this thing was such piece of junk, could only imagine if I were the "first" owner, I'd have been pissed.

I think Paul's method of evaluating the lasting quality of a guitar is a good one.
DO the people who buy them, RESELL THEM? And if they don't, they're probably pretty good.
My first 2 acoustics lasted about 3 months total. Then I've had the same one for 17 years straight. The tone is just as good as that afternoon I picked it up.

Last edited:
I wanted to give an update after playing the Silver Sky for a few days. If you want to skip the long drawn out post I'll give you the conclusion up front. I like it.

Every time I get a new guitar there's a certain ritual I go through which involves looking under the hood and doing a complete set up to my preferences. The routing under the pickguard was a little different than expected and the lack of paint in the cavities was interesting. I'm guessing these are some of the details that Paul always talks about when trying to get a guitar just right. I have no idea if these differences contribute to the overall tone but you never know. While I'm thinking about the pickguard let me mention that I don't like the feel of the knobs at all. That's just a personal preference thing and should be easy to change. I might be wrong but the volume knob feels like it's placed a little closer to the bridge pickup which is great. It could be that the playing position on a strap just puts it in the perfect spot for me.

Let's talk about the neck. If I had one word to describe the feel it would be comfortable. Obviously that's a preference thing again but it sure fits in my hand well. If you like playing up a little higher on the neck the heel is something else. It's hard to describe but it makes things so easy to play. Definitely a great design update. I'm still not a fan of the headstock or tuners from a visual perspective. That being said the tuning stability after aggressive trem use was impressive. The only downside to the headstock from a functional standpoint is it's hard to bend the strings behind the nut. If you don't do that you probably wouldn't even notice that it's any different. It won't matter that much to me in the big picture.

As mentioned before by others in this thread the pickups are special. I have a pile of vintage Strats and am intimately familiar with the guitar that the Silver Sky is based on. I really believe Paul knocked it out of the park with the pickups. The in between positions are a little light in the quack but all is forgiven due to the incredibly usable bridge position. The reality is I'm impressed with all the positions.

I'm clearly in the honeymoon period with the guitar so maybe my impressions will change but as of now I'm a believer. Over the years I've played many new & improved Strat style guitars and they always seem to have improved things that I didn't want changed. They lose the things that I really like about old guitars. The Silver Sky might be the first reasonably priced guitar I've played that checks all the boxes of an improved vintage guitar. I've come a long way since I wondered what the point of the Silver Sky was. I don't love all the cosmetic details but it sure is a player.

Back