The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Are the SS guitars priced higher than other bolt ones because of John Mayer’s name?

also, do you think this will become PRS best selling guitar of all time when they’re said and done?
I'd say the pickups have something to do with it, and the attention paid to the pots etc. That plus the fit and finish makes the whole package worth every penny IMHO, JM notwithstanding.

Are the SS guitars priced higher than other bolt ones because of John Mayer’s name?

also, do you think this will become PRS best selling guitar of all time when they’re said and done?

I think the JM has all US hardware the CE has import pickups tuners and bridge couple hundred different using sweetwater as a guide.
No I think the CU24 will continue to be the #1 guitar for PRS the Silver Sky is just hot now , I could be wrong since the SS is half the price of a CU24.

I think the JM has all US hardware the CE has import pickups tuners and bridge couple hundred different using sweetwater as a guide.
No I think the CU24 will continue to be the #1 guitar for PRS the Silver Sky is just hot now , I could be wrong since the SS is half the price of a CU24.
Seems like the 594 is the most popular now. I think the Silver Mayer will remain hot with the new colors. Then the guitarapocalypse when every strat player finally plays one and wants one!

dGuRfft.jpg

Finally arrived on the couch, with her sisters....and the guest.

What exactly did you hate about it?
Yes, I’m also curious to hear. When I first tried it, having never had the opportunity to play a 60s Strat, was pretty sure I wouldn’t like the radius. Turns out it was a non-factor, and I’ve enjoyed the guitar a lot. Possibly a dedicated Strat player used to the current radius in daily playing might notice it. Overall, though, a great playing guitar. Always interested in hearing why it might not work for others, though. Nothing works for everyone!

Yes, I’m also curious to hear. When I first tried it, having never had the opportunity to play a 60s Strat, was pretty sure I wouldn’t like the radius. Turns out it was a non-factor, and I’ve enjoyed the guitar a lot. Possibly a dedicated Strat player used to the current radius in daily playing might notice it. Overall, though, a great playing guitar. Always interested in hearing why it might not work for others, though. Nothing works for everyone!
I think how a neck feels is probably the most subjective and personal aspect of almost any guitar. I can generally pick up a guitar and know within about a minute (probably a lot less actually) whether it's to my liking or not and then another couple of minutes to determine if the ones that are to my liking are awesome amazing and wonderful or just more than good enough. I could spend all day looking at specs, but I don't ever really know until I play something. The Silver Sky neck is nowhere near my favorite, but it's definitely next tier and way more than good enough feeling and playing.

Every time I play a Clapton strat, that neck just gives me little hand-gasms it feels so damn right. I love a soft V with a 9.5" or 7.25" fretboard. Some heft but not too beefy. Of the rounder '60s style necks, the Silver Sky comes in a little behind my Robert Cray for my taste - the Cray feels a little deeper but with a bit less shoulder, or maybe similar shoulders but then the Silver Sky seems to flatten out quicker. The thumb over is a bit more comfortable on the Cray for my hands. Nonetheless, the Silver Sky is a very nice feeling neck and when I'm playing it I never think about it. But I've pulled my Cray out a couple of times since I got the Silver Sky and I'm immediately struck by how much I like it when I'm playing them back to back. I haven't played a Clapton since I got the SS, but I guaran-dam-tee the next time I do I'm not gonna want to put it down.

There are guitars I liked so much I wanted to love the neck, but never even liked it and that killed them for me. I've yet to play a strat or tele type neck with a 12" radius that I liked even a little bit. Gibson style necks I'm fine with a flatter radius, but not on Fender types for some reason. I can't explain or defend it, but it's real. So if someone says they don't like the Silver Sky neck (or any other), I don't questions it. You either do or you don't. I like the Silver Sky overall so much that the fact that the neck isn't quite at the top of my list is OK - it's still a great neck to me and never disappoints when I'm playing it. But sometimes it does come up a bit short in a direct comparison...

-Ray

What I didn't like, for starters I have a fender strat with TX specials that I've played for years. I has a maple neck that's super smooth and very fast. The SS neck was rosewood and not so smooth. The radius of the SS was kinda ok but the frets were too low for me. That just didn't feel right.
Now I have a 98 McCarty with a rosewood neck and its superslick too.
Maybe Im just too used to my strat that I've had for 20 plus years?
To me the SS felt like a $1000 guitar and not a $2200 guitar.

I think how a neck feels is probably the most subjective and personal aspect of almost any guitar. I can generally pick up a guitar and know within about a minute (probably a lot less actually) whether it's to my liking or not and then another couple of minutes to determine if the ones that are to my liking are awesome amazing and wonderful or just more than good enough. I could spend all day looking at specs, but I don't ever really know until I play something. The Silver Sky neck is nowhere near my favorite, but it's definitely next tier and way more than good enough feeling and playing.

Every time I play a Clapton strat, that neck just gives me little hand-gasms it feels so damn right. I love a soft V with a 9.5" or 7.25" fretboard. Some heft but not too beefy. Of the rounder '60s style necks, the Silver Sky comes in a little behind my Robert Cray for my taste - the Cray feels a little deeper but with a bit less shoulder, or maybe similar shoulders but then the Silver Sky seems to flatten out quicker. The thumb over is a bit more comfortable on the Cray for my hands. Nonetheless, the Silver Sky is a very nice feeling neck and when I'm playing it I never think about it. But I've pulled my Cray out a couple of times since I got the Silver Sky and I'm immediately struck by how much I like it when I'm playing them back to back. I haven't played a Clapton since I got the SS, but I guaran-dam-tee the next time I do I'm not gonna want to put it down.

There are guitars I liked so much I wanted to love the neck, but never even liked it and that killed them for me. I've yet to play a strat or tele type neck with a 12" radius that I liked even a little bit. Gibson style necks I'm fine with a flatter radius, but not on Fender types for some reason. I can't explain or defend it, but it's real. So if someone says they don't like the Silver Sky neck (or any other), I don't questions it. You either do or you don't. I like the Silver Sky overall so much that the fact that the neck isn't quite at the top of my list is OK - it's still a great neck to me and never disappoints when I'm playing it. But sometimes it does come up a bit short in a direct comparison...

-Ray

What I didn't like, for starters I have a fender strat with TX specials that I've played for years. I has a maple neck that's super smooth and very fast. The SS neck was rosewood and not so smooth. The radius of the SS was kinda ok but the frets were too low for me. That just didn't feel right.

Two interesting takes! I know how it can be to just gravitate towards a guitar feel, for whatever reason. Since 2006 or so, I have played many guitars for certain periods but since my first 513, I always end up returning to them. I think it's a bit more than just the neck, but it does always feel familiar and never feels or sounds bad. It's the wife, in a sea of girlfriends. :)

I'm glad people have different likes and dislikes, and that we live in a time when there are awesome playing guitars for everyone.

FWIW, the first Silver Sky I played, last Spring or Summer sometime, was just hanging in a Guitar Center. And I didn't like it's fretboard at all - it was nearly black and felt like it had something on it, almost like shoe polish or something. But very rough feeling. The two I've played in the past couple of months, though, including the one I own now, have both had really fine, smooth, fast feeling rosewood boards. I used to have an overwhelming preference for maple, but I think that was from having played a few pretty rough feeling rosewood boards in the past. In recent years I've played some really good ones and I've basically become agnostic about materials. I've played maple, rosewood, and ebony fretboards that I've really loved. So the feel of the fretboard you experienced may well have just been a one off bad sample. But the frets are another thing. They're fairly low - they feel great to me, but that's one of those personal preference things that nobody needs to explain...

-Ray

Hi need some help. So I had my onyx since last August 2018 and I've noticed that I can feel roughness on my neck close to head stock. Is this normal? I can feel the line on the wood.
Unfortunately I cant add links/photos here to better describe it. I actually just made an account just for this issue.

What do you think is the solution to remove these? I dont really affect my playing it's just that when i play chords close to the headstock I find it pretty annoying.

Thanks!

Hi need some help. So I had my onyx since last August 2018 and I've noticed that I can feel roughness on my neck close to head stock. Is this normal? I can feel the line on the wood.
Unfortunately I cant add links/photos here to better describe it. I actually just made an account just for this issue.

What do you think is the solution to remove these? I dont really affect my playing it's just that when i play chords close to the headstock I find it pretty annoying.

Thanks!
Send it to me and I will fix it for ya. ;)

Don't have that issue with both of mine post a couple more time a use a hosting site to post a pic.
My usual advise is to contact PTC great folks to deal with.

Thanks!

Don't have that issue with both of mine post a couple more time a use a hosting site to post a pic.
My usual advise is to contact PTC great folks to deal with.

Thanks for the reply. What does PTC mean? I bought my SS here local in Vancouver. Love the guitar btw!!

Back