The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Played one today and I have to admit...was underwhelmed. Don’t know why, but I was.

pickups are nice but very similar to others I’ve played. Don’t know what I expected, but it is very much just a PRS version of a strat. A very nice one, though!

Played one today and I have to admit...was underwhelmed. Don’t know why, but I was.

pickups are nice but very similar to others I’ve played. Don’t know what I expected, but it is very much just a PRS version of a strat. A very nice one, though!
Bold my emphasis.

Well, since JM was looking to re-create all of the elements of his favorite strats in one guitar, with slightly less ice-picky bridge pup, your impression is accurate to their intentions. It isn't meant to sound like anything but a strat - just a well made, JM-spec, specific version., I suppose.

@horax Glad you took the time to try one! A lot of people have commented that never went that far, so you're way ahead of the curve. I do agree with @shinksma that many are seemingly looking for it to be something different from a really good, old Strat. I think you nailed it in saying it is a PRS version (meaning a very well made guitar with great setup and playability) of a Strat (a great guitar design, but one that can vary pretty wildly from year to year and sometimes even guitar to guitar). It is exactly that. As far as I know, that was the intention.

I have a SS, a 2018 model, and it sounds like a great Strat... which is to say a lot better than several real Strats I had, so they've all been sold, save a Gilmour version Black Strat I built from a 90s Strat Plus that has a unique sound and was worth keeping. I don't really view it as replacing my Strats with a PRS as much as replacing some mediocre to good Strats with one great one. It just happens to not have come from Fender is all. So in that sense I totally agree with your assessment, except the underwhelming part. I was looking for a very playable Strat with great sound. Got it, in spades!

Now, if I can just get Paul to release a PRS version of a really great Telecaster, I'll be all set.

I guess the biggest disappointment was the pickups.
Were they good? Yes! Were they great? Maybe.

THey sounded EXACTLY like my Fender Pure Vintage 64 strat pickups that I put in a 60's classic vibe.
Yeah...a Squier. The PRS played better, but the tones were identical to my ears.

C'est la vie...live and learn. I'll probably pass and save 2500.00 though.

THey sounded EXACTLY like my Fender Pure Vintage 64 strat pickups that I put in a 60's classic vibe.
Yeah...a Squier. The PRS played better, but the tones were identical to my ears.

Oh yeah, in that case I would too! Nothing's right for everyone. No harm in looking! Sounds like you already have what you need, and in the end that's what we all want to find.

Loving my new Silver Sky.
The only thing I’ve come across which could be deemed an issue is that the Boss WL-20 wireless system transmitter I use is too ‘fat’ for the guitar’s input jack; wouldn’t be a deal breaker though!
I struck the same issue and used a dremel to trim down the offending plastic on the WL20 - only needs a tiny bit removed and it fits like a boss.
Same thing with the strap lock fittings - one of the PRS wood screws was a billimetre too wide to fit into the fitting, so out came the dremel and job done again.

I'm not sure how many mid-60's strats I've played, but the Silver Sky pickups sound extraordinary to me, after owning a few strats and playing many. As a player, I like my Robert Cray as much and like a well set-up Clapton strat even more, but the quality of all three SS pickups at any volume / tone setting is what put it over the top for me. I never expected it to be anything but a strat, just a very very very good one with the PRS quality control making it easy to just pick one up online or wherever and know you're gonna get a great one. If it WASN'T fundamentally just a great strat, I wouldn't have been interested - I'm a strat guy, and ONLY a strat guy these days.

And if, like you, I didn't like it MORE than what I already had, I wouldn't have either. Enjoy what you have - sounds like a winner. Then again, I really like almost every strat I've played - it's just a matter of degree...

-Ray

Here is my take for what it worth.
If you already have a killer Strat , Clapton , Meyer ,Beck , Johnson , Cray, Custom built Parts caster that you love beyond all others the Silver Sky may not " blow you away "
If you like me had moved on from the endless chase of the prefect Strat, got tired of modding , or saying 3 of the 5 positions sound good, and / or don't have 20K + to spend on a 50-60s Strat that may or may not sound as good. Then try out the Sliver Sky, Its the best SSS guitar I have ever owned or played and why I have 2 of them.

Nebula Silver Sky!

nebulizer.jpg

Sweet!

So are the maple neck (non-Nebula) variants getting slammed out as planned, expecting to hit dealers "soon"? Really looking forward to my Midnight Rose Maple FB Silver Sky.

With our current backorder, no one particular model or option is flooding out of the factory, but some of the maple board Silver Sky models are starting to near completion

With our current backorder, no one particular model or option is flooding out of the factory, but some of the maple board Silver Sky models are starting to near completion
Well, I can only hope one or more of them are destined for my dealer, and one of those is the color I selected!

Back